Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i3 / i8 / ActiveE

BMW i3 / i8 / ActiveE
Are you excited about the upcoming BMW i3 or i8? Interested in learning more about the BMW ActiveE? This is the place for you!

Old 06-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
BMW i Presents: "ELECTRONAUTS" - Watch BMW ActiveE Drivers in Action.

The BMW ActiveE drivers, our BMW Electronauts, have officially begun their journeys into the future of mobility. Now, with the launch of the "Electronauts" series, BMW i gives you a firsthand look into the BMW ActiveE Field Trial and the EV lifestyle. You'll meet a group of ActiveE drivers and hear stories about how going electric has changed their lives.

First, we'll meet Erin from San Francisco. See why she "can't imagine ever buying another gas car," find out what happened at the car wash, and learn about her exploration in sustainability with her urban-farming initiative.

We'll also visit Pamela, aka "Electra Girl," and her husband Michael in New Jersey. You'll hear Pamela's stories about the remarkable quietness of the car and experience Michael's love for the "kind of torque that makes your insides move."

Over the next few weeks, we will be featuring additional segments of "Electronauts," sharing the adventures of more BMW ActiveE drivers. After you watch the videos, visit BMWActivateTheFuture.com for an EValuation to see how much an EV could impact your life.
Ads by Google
Old 07-01-2012, 05:36 PM

Mein Auto: Active-E
One more, here! No pics, alas (everyone knows the car, and nobody wants to see Gramps' mug!)
Use it daily to commute from home to work, Fremont to SFO airport, 35 miles each way. Working night shift, charging during the day...Ouch, waiting for first P.G and E bill....
Interested in sharing NUMBERS with other users: ranges, mi/kwh, temperatures, average speed u drive, etc......
Reactions around me: jealousy (the gals: car is cute!), envy (Too late, buddy...), disbelief ("Electric ONLY?"), and a few others...
I LOVE IT!
Gramps.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprouland View Post
One more, here! No pics, alas (everyone knows the car, and nobody wants to see Gramps' mug!)
Use it daily to commute from home to work, Fremont to SFO airport, 35 miles each way. Working night shift, charging during the day...Ouch, waiting for first P.G and E bill....
Interested in sharing NUMBERS with other users: ranges, mi/kwh, temperatures, average speed u drive, etc......
Reactions around me: jealousy (the gals: car is cute!), envy (Too late, buddy...), disbelief ("Electric ONLY?"), and a few others...
I LOVE IT!
Gramps.
You may be the first actual owner in here, please start a new post and TELL US ALL ABOUT IT!

Am I right to suspect they're sold out (not that I'm looking at the moment anyway...)?

Old 07-05-2012, 09:47 PM

Mein Auto: Active-E
Arrow

owner may be the wrong word: like every other electronaut, we LEASE the car, as an experiment. I think the current experiment has placed all available cars, but you could check with your local BMW dealer.
I got the car not out of love, but logic: with 35 miles commute (70 round trip), my trusted Volvo 740GLS wagon was costing me as much as I'm paying for the lease. If I can charge for free at work, this NEW car ( at 68, my first NEW car ever...) will not cost me much.
Beyond that, I worked, 2 years ago, with a small group attempting to build an electric car, so I knew about all the numbers, etc. We never finished, due to lack of funds, but I was thrilled to see that the numbers BMW used in their product more or less matched what I was trying to do. So, this car is also a revenge on fate, LOL!
So, I got it on logic. But, one month later, love is part of the picture!
I'm still trying to learn all the gadgets (no such things in the '87 volvo!...), and experimenting with different drivings.
My numbers:
- 70-75 miles/day.
- one charge a day, at home, with built-in charger, on a 220v/20A circuit circuit. Practical charge time 8 to 10 hours. Recently, began to charge at work, so charging every 35 miles (home and work).
- practical range is only 80-85 miles, unless you "push" the battery to the limit (not good for it). This is on 90% freeway driving, at night, keeping the car around 60-65mph (not the below 55 the Leaf users are limited to, to get some range, LOL!)
- miles/kw is steadily decreasing, and I don't like it: was 3.6 when I received the car, and I'm now at 3.3. But some screen shots of others show 3.0.. so I may not be too bad.
- the car can scoot: one night, I followed a co-worker, driving a souped-up Honda. We zipped around traffic, at (shht!) 80-85mph, peaks at 90 (IN ECONO MODE!) with no problems... except that day I reached home with only 10 miles left, versus the 25+ miles I normally get available.. so, driving fast takes a toll on the range!
enough for the day, and this reply. More later, if you ask for it....
J.P.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3
Great info, thanks for all the details--and please expand on them as you spend more time with the car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprouland View Post
owner may be the wrong word: like every other electronaut, we LEASE the car, as an experiment. I think the current experiment has placed all available cars, but you could check with your local BMW dealer.
I got the car not out of love, but logic: with 35 miles commute (70 round trip), my trusted Volvo 740GLS wagon was costing me as much as I'm paying for the lease. If I can charge for free at work, this NEW car ( at 68, my first NEW car ever...) will not cost me much.
Beyond that, I worked, 2 years ago, with a small group attempting to build an electric car, so I knew about all the numbers, etc. We never finished, due to lack of funds, but I was thrilled to see that the numbers BMW used in their product more or less matched what I was trying to do. So, this car is also a revenge on fate, LOL!
So, I got it on logic. But, one month later, love is part of the picture!
I'm still trying to learn all the gadgets (no such things in the '87 volvo!...), and experimenting with different drivings.
My numbers:
- 70-75 miles/day.
- one charge a day, at home, with built-in charger, on a 220v/20A circuit circuit. Practical charge time 8 to 10 hours. Recently, began to charge at work, so charging every 35 miles (home and work).
- practical range is only 80-85 miles, unless you "push" the battery to the limit (not good for it). This is on 90% freeway driving, at night, keeping the car around 60-65mph (not the below 55 the Leaf users are limited to, to get some range, LOL!)
- miles/kw is steadily decreasing, and I don't like it: was 3.6 when I received the car, and I'm now at 3.3. But some screen shots of others show 3.0.. so I may not be too bad.
- the car can scoot: one night, I followed a co-worker, driving a souped-up Honda. We zipped around traffic, at (shht!) 80-85mph, peaks at 90 (IN ECONO MODE!) with no problems... except that day I reached home with only 10 miles left, versus the 25+ miles I normally get available.. so, driving fast takes a toll on the range!
enough for the day, and this reply. More later, if you ask for it....
J.P.