Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-08-2012, 05:42 PM
GT = hi&bye

Mein Auto: 550i gt
What coding options did you chose?

I am getting my car coded on Wednesday. Just curious to know what coding options people prefer most. Also, is there a particular option that you coded but don't use or regret?
Ads by Google
Old 07-08-2012, 07:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i
I did the following:

Digital speedo, removed nav and backup camera warnings, enabled dvd play during drive, tpms digital reading, enabled closing of the trunk with fob and interior button, logic7 icon.

I love the digital speedo and not having the "accept" screen on startup.
2011 535i, 06/11 Build, Black Sapphire, Black Dakota, Dark Wood, 6mt, PP 1 & 2, Premium Sound, Soft Close Doors, Convenience, Driver Assist, Cold Weather, Nav, SAT, 35% Suntek Tint, BMWPedals, Coded, Xpel Paint Prot.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:39 AM
GT = hi&bye

Cool. I hate all the disclaimers. Can't wait til' that acceptance screen goes away for good!
Old 07-09-2012, 05:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M sport
I wish we had people in the south to do coding. Any takers?
Old 07-09-2012, 06:04 AM
GT = hi&bye

I live in Charlotte, but unfortunately I have to drive to Atlanta to get it done. 4+ hours. UGH! Another BMW owner is being so gracious enough to do it for me. He has done many cars as I have read about his coding work on other BMW forums.

I wish I knew how to do it... I would definitely help other people out. But most people don't want just anybody coding on their $50k+ cars. LOL
Old 07-09-2012, 06:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt=hi&bye View Post
I live in Charlotte, but unfortunately I have to drive to Atlanta to get it done. 4+ hours. UGH! Another BMW owner is being so gracious enough to do it for me. He has done many cars as I have read about his coding work on other BMW forums.

I wish I knew how to do it... I would definitely help other people out. But most people don't want just anybody coding on their $50k+ cars. LOL
Im not too far from Atlanta. Im going to send you a PM

Last edited by GunsBMW; 07-09-2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:48 AM
Verified Trusted User

Mein Auto: 2012 535i, Space Grey
I coded my ride myself in San Diego. It wasn't that hard at all.

I removed all disclaimers, all seatbelt warnings, auto stop start remembers that I want it off, DVD in motion, trunk opens and closes from inside and fob, windows-mirrors close when locking, side view cameras on at all speeds, tmps psi-temp reading. I think that was about it :-). One thing I would not recommend is the rear view camera working at any speed. At first it sounds cool but the the reverse camera automatically turning off after I back out of my driveway as I drive away. I dont want to have to turn it off manually every time.
2012 535i, April build, Space Grey, Oyster Interior, 19" M sport rims/tires, premium pkg, premium sound, side/top cameras, heated seats, comfort access, ceramic controls, OEM spoiler, painted front reflectors, 35% tint, rear Fog lights, coded to my liking.

Last edited by Griffin 27; 07-09-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:11 AM
GT = hi&bye

Ok. Thanks for the heads up on the rear view camera.
But why would you want the side view cameras on at all speeds? Is there some real benefit to that or is that just a personal preference?
Old 07-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Verified Trusted User

Mein Auto: 2012 535i, Space Grey
It's just for fun and serves no purpose what so ever lol. I just figured I would unblock it since I had the laptop hooked up anyway. You will really like the car after it's coded, so much nicer !!
2012 535i, April build, Space Grey, Oyster Interior, 19" M sport rims/tires, premium pkg, premium sound, side/top cameras, heated seats, comfort access, ceramic controls, OEM spoiler, painted front reflectors, 35% tint, rear Fog lights, coded to my liking.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i, 2013 535i x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin 27 View Post
I coded my ride myself in San Diego. It wasn't that hard at all.

I removed all disclaimers, all seatbelt warnings, auto stop start remembers that I want it off, DVD in motion, trunk opens and closes from inside and fob, windows-mirrors close when locking, side view cameras on at all speeds, tmps psi-temp reading. I think that was about it :-). One thing I would not recommend is the rear view camera working at any speed. At first it sounds cool but the the reverse camera automatically turning off after I back out of my driveway as I drive away. I dont want to have to turn it off manually every time.
OK, dumb question....and I have read lots of threads on this. Where did you get your cable, and where did you get the s/w needed for coding? I have a 2013 535 xi on order and would like to get a head start on what I need. Thanks
Old 07-09-2012, 07:58 PM
GT = hi&bye

flickroll.

the cable is being sold on ebay for $50. see item number 130716965519. although other forum members swear that you can make your own cable for $15...
as far as the other things you will need for coding, you should read the coding thread for that information. or, you could always contact a fellow forum member that already coded their car to see what steps they took.
most people say that it is super easy. i am just accident prone and think way too much about the smallest things... in other words, i am having a semi-professional code my car so i won't screw anything up.