Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008+)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008+)
The latest and greatest V8 powered M3!

Old 07-10-2012, 04:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 E92 M3
Another 1200 mile service story

Dropped my new M3 for the 1200 mile service at the dealer yesterday. On pickup I noticed:

~21 miles driven while at the dealer
~3 MPG drop during the day (I have been resetting each fillup to compare to "pen & paper notes"

Next service due in April of 2014 - minor error here but seems like maybe our "lifetime" fluids are getting better Just kidding. Trying not to be upset about the experience.

Notified service advisor before I left the dealer. End of the day so not much else could be done. On a positive note, the service director called me shortly after and said they were "looking into" what happened.

This morning, as soon as the car is cranked in the garage, low tire pressure warning lights up.

Seems like dealer service is becoming a "roll of the dice" - it can be good or bad.

More info to follow. As always, input from this group is appreciated.
Ads by Google
Old 07-10-2012, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: Soon to be M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albmain View Post
Dropped my new M3 for the 1200 mile service at the dealer yesterday. On pickup I noticed:

21 Miles?!? Did they leave the beer bottles in the back for you to clean up?
Old 07-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Past Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
That's why I note on the estimate before they take the car in that no one is to test drive or wash the car.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 cab
Prob. not a big deal as long as it was not a Ferris Buehler abuse cruze.

But it might feel like the ob/gyn takin your girl for a ride during a check up to some in love with their brand new m3 I guess.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Boxster S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albmain View Post
1/4 mile at a time!
Old 07-11-2012, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: Bimmer
Damit that sucks. What dealer was this?
Old 07-12-2012, 08:22 AM

Ok folks, need some input before I meet with the service director this afternoon.

We have the 21 mile issue - any way to know how that was driven? probably not but I'm curious. Since the dealer could read the system to know if we abused a car, could the same thing be done for a day it was in their possession?

With (incorrectly) resetting the service interval to 2014, would there be any reason for them to have reset things like the MPG calculation, settings and / or transmission adaptive software? It is a DCT, so no service was due on the transmission. Curious because it seems to be driving different. This could just me in my head but also ties in with:

Service order shows per key reader change gearbox oil and rear gearbox oil ... Qty 8 of 83-22-1-467-993 Differential Oil. I was under the impression that part number was a 1 liter bottle. Don't think the differential would hold that.

Punctured tire - one tire is losing pressure. Going to put it on the rack this afternoon and see what is what.

Really would appreciate info, feedback and suggestions.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxguru View Post
21 Miles?!? Did they leave the beer bottles in the back for you to clean up?
No beer bottles. They vacuumed the floor mats but didn't clean anything else inside or out. Odd, like the rest of the visit.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
That's why I note on the estimate before they take the car in that no one is to test drive or wash the car.
Good idea. I had good experiences in the past with them. Guess I may have to make this change from now on though.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyandRich View Post
Damit that sucks. What dealer was this?
BMW of Albany (GA)
Old 07-13-2012, 05:29 AM

Here is the update after yesterday's meeting.

Miles - They can't explain the miles. Neither the amount driven while in the service department or the miles after that but before pickup.

2014 date - "CBS rules changed and now it registers for 24 months on some things". Does not sound right. Don't think even BMW would say don't change the oil for 2 years. Should show for next service right?

Tire - They ordered a new tire and will replace at no charge since they can't explain the mileage.

Differential Oil - the 8 liters used for the 1 liter differential was "just a data entry error"

Overall, still not satisfied but probably just have to make sure this is documented in case there are any issues in the future. Certainly destroys the trust they had built over the last 10 years.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:53 AM

Mein Auto: 12 BMW 535I MS Alpine Wht
This is BS and happens more than any of us know. The first link is evidence that it happens with video. The second two are other suspecting post. I have no doubt your car was taken for a joy ride. The only thing you have going for you is your car is strong and can handle the abuse that they gave to it. I have always done the no wash..... I will now add, no test drive. Hang in there.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2011/11/28/fo...er-1m-joyride/
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473875
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257224

Mods - Quad Exhaust Tips, HID Fog Lights, Clear Front Reflectors, M5 Spoiler, Calipers Painted Black, 12.5 mm Rear Wheel Spacers, 5% Tint Rear - 35% Tint Front - 50% Tint Windshield - BlackVue DR400G-HD II Dash Cam

Coding by tuesday (aka; itschase) (Chase)
Old 07-30-2012, 03:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 m3
someone went for a little joy ride.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:46 AM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
The nearest McDonalds must have been 10.5 miles from the dealer.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:53 AM

I pretty much know they had a joy ride that racked up the mileage. Not really anything I can do to "roll back time" on that.

Any input from the group about the other things mentioned? Particularly the CBS now showing a 2 year time frame for service (2014) and the amount of liquid shown on the work order.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:26 AM
Her name is Samantha

Send a message via AIM to justaregularguy Send a message via Skype™ to justaregularguy
Mein Auto: 2008 E92 M3
i had a similar experience with my m. I had to bring it in for the rear gear fluid change and i know they would be some miles on it for a test ride so i recorded my odometer miles on paper and how many miles till the tank was empty (196 till empty tank and took a picture of it. I decided to go one step further and record as i pulled into the service department and turned the camera on the miles and on the days newspaper before i got out into my car. Well they gave me a loaner car and said they will call me back when my car is finished. The next day they call and said for me to come and pick up my car its all done so i happily went to the dealer to get rid of the 328 they gave me and get my M back. When i got in my car i looked at the miles on the odometer and the miles till the tank would be empty and i could not believe what i seen ... First the orange light was on and said 54 miles and my odometer magically went from 16,006 to 16,098 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so i did not even move my car and went to the service manager and told him what happened. His response was no thats impossible we write down everything when you came here and we only put 11 miles on your car and replaced the gas we used. So i showed him the pic and the video with the miles i had and the gas i had along with the days newspaper. Then his attitude changed real fast "I Dont know how this could of happened someone is lying and taking advantage of customers i am terrible sorry and will get to the bottom of this and call you as soon as i find out what happened.. Well about three days later he called and said we still cant figure out what happened ( YA GOTTA BE KIDDING ME SOMONE TOOK MY CAR FOR A JOY RIDE) anyway he said he was gonna make it up to me and sent me $1000 dollar gift card or somekind of card to be used at the dealer in anyway i see fit and a $250 gas card .. not bad but .. i still dont know what the hell that mechanic did to my car when he put 92 miles on it when it only needed about 15 to test it out
Old 08-19-2012, 07:40 AM

Mein Auto: 12 BMW 535I MS Alpine Wht
Quote:
Originally Posted by justaregularguy View Post
i had a similar experience with my m.....
Wow. I will own a new M3 (or M4) when they come out. I can guarantee you that I will always tell them "Do not test drive". Great job recording the info as you pulled in. They would have blown you off without it.

Mods - Quad Exhaust Tips, HID Fog Lights, Clear Front Reflectors, M5 Spoiler, Calipers Painted Black, 12.5 mm Rear Wheel Spacers, 5% Tint Rear - 35% Tint Front - 50% Tint Windshield - BlackVue DR400G-HD II Dash Cam

Coding by tuesday (aka; itschase) (Chase)
Old 08-19-2012, 09:31 AM
BMWCCA Member #405750

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
I just had my first annual complimentary oil change yesterday and it was very professional and issue free. The engine bay is so free of oil that I question if it were changed at all. The only issue I had like this was when my M3 was delivered it had 11 miles on it. Which I thought was a tad high, but no such shenanigans since.

2011 Alpine White BMW M3 Coupe 6-speed Manual w/ ZCP.
2008 Alpine White 328i Coupe 6-speed Manual/ BMW Performance Exhaust/ M6 Wheels. (Retired)
Future owner of a Jetson's fold-up briefcase car. So I can TRULY park worry free.
"what I'm driving here...is an ending." Jeremy Clarkson