Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 07-09-2012, 04:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
Opti-Lube diesel treatment

Ran across this product on another forum with positive reviews. Anybody heard of/used it in their diesel fuel? http://opti-lube.com/index.php/xpd-d...r-product.html
Ads by Google
Old 07-09-2012, 04:42 PM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Camry hybrid + MB e300D-T
Yes- it has a good reputation because of the "Spicer Report", but they don't give out any hard data on lubricity performance themselves. They are mail order only and somewhat expensive.

IMO the Spicer Report is well intentioned but inherently flawed in the test method (only tested on fuel from the distribution terminal and not on retail pump fuel- which is how we would be using additives).

On the other hand I've personally received lubricity data from Power Service on both Diesel Fuel Supplement and Diesel Kleen products. These are available at any autoparts store and many retail outlets like Walmart and are what I prefer to use.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
d geek, thanks! What benefits have you seen using fuel treatments? I am assuming that you think there is value in the products? Any negatives besides increased cost?
Old 07-09-2012, 04:59 PM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Camry hybrid + MB e300D-T
My biggest concern is adequate lubricity for maximum longevity. Diesel fuel lubricity is measured by rubbing a steel ball against a plate submerged in the fuel under test, then measuring the wear scar under a microscope. The lubricity standard in place in the US allows a maximum wear scar of up to 560 microns, while the rest of the world allows only 460 microns. The good news is that BMW specified coatings for the high pressure fuel pump internals for engines being put into their N American diesels and I cannot recall seeing more than one report of HPFP failure in the 3+ years I've been watching. Contrast this with VW & Audi diesel hpfp- NTSB has an ongoing investigation into the issue with those common rail diesels.

The Diesel Kleen also boosts cetane up to 6 points, while the DFS boosts by 3 or 4 points. DFS can handle some water contamination too. I think OptiLube also claims a cetane boost of 6 points.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335d
I bought $100 worth of this stuff and have used it only once. Why you ask? It smells! Anything that it touches will smell for ages so I haven't been able to bring myself to filling up my tank with it again.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
I mix it 1oz of the cheap lubrivcation formula with 10 oz of diesel kleen from big jug. have not had any issues but only 6k mi