Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-15-2012, 12:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan Stage 2 550xi
Uh oh! Drivetrain malfunction on Dinan Stage 2 550xii :(

Happened on my way to airport for 2 week business trip. Warning came on while doing 55 on NJ Turnpike and car started shuddering a little bit. Was able to drive to the airport parking. Am going to dealership in 2 weeks when I return. Feels like the problem is with the front wheel's drivetrain. Shutting down and restarting did not clear up the problem. Stay tuned sports fans... My dealership already set up a loaner and will be alerting Dinan on Monday. I really do like my dealer's responsiveness and customer support. My folks there responded to emails on a Sunday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1342378691.721289.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	332962   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1342378717.663171.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	332963  
2012 Dinan Stage 2 550i xDrive M Sport, Imperial Blue Metallic, Cinnamon Brown Leather and Light Wood Trim. Major options are M Sport package, cold weather package, sport automatic transmission, active roll stabilization, premium sound, and side and top view cameras.

Dearly departed BMWs: 2009 550i M Sport in Carbon Black Metallic and 2003 540i M Sport in Titanium Silver
Advertisement
Old 07-15-2012, 12:19 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
It's staying on...uh oh indeed. When I got my drivetrain warning, my dealer assumed it was a BMW problem and not a Dinan problem. They uninstalled Dinan, did their testing and updated BMW's software and then reinstalled Dinan and the problem hasn't returned. I did about a dozen trips done the drag strip since to make sure the problem was gone. BTW, in reduced power mode, I found my car felt like it is stock and my drag times confirmed that.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 07-15-2012, 01:52 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
I had that too. But in my case turning it off and on eliminated the error. Dealer checkup a few days later showed a problem with the fuel sensor which BMW replaced under warranty. This was before the dinan tune though.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 07-15-2012, 06:18 PM

This one seemed physical unfortunately. The car was shuddering a little. Me thinks that something broke (driveshaft or differential).
2012 Dinan Stage 2 550i xDrive M Sport, Imperial Blue Metallic, Cinnamon Brown Leather and Light Wood Trim. Major options are M Sport package, cold weather package, sport automatic transmission, active roll stabilization, premium sound, and side and top view cameras.

Dearly departed BMWs: 2009 550i M Sport in Carbon Black Metallic and 2003 540i M Sport in Titanium Silver
Old 07-15-2012, 06:52 PM
The Driver

Depending on what happens next, we may see a promoter become a detractor.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 07-15-2012, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan 550xi
I did the Dinan stage 2 a few weeks back, and late last week I also had the drivetrain malfunction, but it also came with a stabilization system error, error for tire monitoring and the 4x4 something error amoung others... The dealer managed to capture codes from the car for a service call in a few weeks...

I restarted the car, and it went away for about 10 min and returned... Left the car for about 2 hours and the error didn't return until driving it for a few hours, then returned....

One last ignition cycle cleared it and it has not returned, but the car is still going in for a check...

I was shocked this happened. It seems that that first trigger was fast acceleration in a corner and I taped on the brakes.. After the first trigger was even light acceleration set it off...

I was hoping this was isolated as I had the "global" software update done a week before the Dinan, and then they had to reprogram another modal as the mirror and seat was not returning to any settings.. After last flash my errors started...

I had no idea what started it, but that's the order of event so far

Tk

Last edited by bmguy; 07-15-2012 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-15-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
Depending on what happens next, we may see a promoter become a detractor.
Hey, every car breaks especially one as powerful as this. The Issue is what will BMW and Dinan do about it

Old 07-15-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmguy View Post
I did the Dinan stage 2 a few weeks back, and late last week I also had the drivetrain malfunction, but it also came with a stabilization system error, error for tire monitoring and the 4x4 something error amoung others... The dealer managed to capture codes from the car for a service call in a few weeks...

I restarted the car, and it went away for about 10 min and returned... Left the car for about 2 hours and the error didn't return until driving it for a few hours, then returned....

One last ignition cycle cleared it and it has not returned, but the car is still going in for a check...

I was shocked this happened. It seems that that first trigger was fast acceleration in a corner and I taped on the brakes.. After the first trigger was even light acceleration set it off...

I was hoping this was isolated as I had the "global" software update done a week before the Dinan, and then they had to reprogram another modal as the mirror and seat was not returning to any settings.. After last flash my errors started...

I had no idea what started it, but that's the order of event so far

Tk
Mine did not happen under any sort of high acceleration performance driving condition. It happened when I was cruising on the highway at about 55 to 60 miles an hour

Old 07-15-2012, 08:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 M5
I've been problem free so far with Stage 3.

I did get a "Chassis Stabilization Malfunction" warning a few weeks ago but it hasn't reappeared yet.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:02 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
These issues appear to be more than a coincidence. Hopefully, BMW and Dinan will come up with some definitive answers before the rest of us add the software.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:22 PM

Is this engine power malfunction only on 550ix cars that have changed from non-staggered to staggered wheels?
Old 07-16-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth8 View Post
Is this engine power malfunction only on 550ix cars that have changed from non-staggered to staggered wheels?
I'm running the stock rims and tires 19 inch

If it matters, I did have the rear right tire replaced with a new RFT about 2 weeks before this all started also... But I suspec the tread depth difference would not have been enough to setup these errors...
Old 07-16-2012, 01:48 PM

As far as I'm aware the OP is running stock wheels, so it doesn't seem related to non-OEM wheels/rubber.

I noticed the other day - on my stock wheels - that the left rear wheel would sometimes feel like it was slipping during a turn while accelerating hard (from a traffic light). I've yet to get the Drivetrain Malfunction error but I suspect it's not far off.

Car is going in tomorrow for fluid top-off and pre-flight check before heading out to SF.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i xDrive
I had the Chassis malfunction pop-up while I was driving in the mountains on my way back to Chicago from PCD and the car was brand new with no Dinan S2. Car didn't feel any different except it was locked to comfort mode. Turning off the car and restarting it would make it disappear until any sudden movement such as hard acceleration or fast turns. Got home and went to the dealership and service adviser said my power steering fluid was low. The fluids got topped off and I have not had any problems since then.

14 Porsche Boxster S - http://www.porsche-code.com/PED27M31

12 BMW 550i xDrive (Dinan S5, Intercoolers, Exhaust, Springs/Shockware, Negative Camber/Low Compliance Arms & Intake; 3M CR40; AG M355, Michelin PSS & Tikore Ti Lugs) - Alpine White, Beige, M Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, ARS, Sport Auto, Power Shades, Side/Top Cameras, HUD & BMW Apps.

13 Infiniti JX35 AWD (Gone)

07 BMW 550i (Gone)

09 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 (Gone)
Old 07-16-2012, 04:06 PM

FWIW, Dinan has mentoned that the error messages above are isolated to 550xi cars, expecially if non-staggered wheels are replaced with staggered wheels.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseyu View Post
I had the Chassis malfunction pop-up while I was driving in the mountains on my way back to Chicago from PCD and the car was brand new with no Dinan S2. Car didn't feel any different except it was locked to comfort mode. Turning off the car and restarting it would make it disappear until any sudden movement such as hard acceleration or fast turns. Got home and went to the dealership and service adviser said my power steering fluid was low. The fluids got topped off and I have not had any problems since then.
That is interesting you mention the fluids (you may be on to something)! my symptoms appear during acceleration or turning (I'm not reading that everyone has had these errors under the same circumstance however) - which if the fluids were low could be in fact why they are coming on - is there no sensors for those fluids also? I know the oil one is there but brake and steering level sensors are they present?
Old 07-16-2012, 04:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i xDrive
I would assume that there are sensors and what is happening is that the levels are not quite low enough when measured while the care is level. However, it is low enough to cause error messages during any sudden movements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmguy View Post
That is interesting you mention the fluids (you may be on to something)! my symptoms appear during acceleration or turning (I'm not reading that everyone has had these errors under the same circumstance however) - which if the fluids were low could be in fact why they are coming on - is there no sensors for those fluids also? I know the oil one is there but brake and steering level sensors are they present?

14 Porsche Boxster S - http://www.porsche-code.com/PED27M31

12 BMW 550i xDrive (Dinan S5, Intercoolers, Exhaust, Springs/Shockware, Negative Camber/Low Compliance Arms & Intake; 3M CR40; AG M355, Michelin PSS & Tikore Ti Lugs) - Alpine White, Beige, M Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, ARS, Sport Auto, Power Shades, Side/Top Cameras, HUD & BMW Apps.

13 Infiniti JX35 AWD (Gone)

07 BMW 550i (Gone)

09 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 (Gone)
Old 07-16-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
FWIW, Dinan has mentoned that the error messages above are isolated to 550xi cars, expecially if non-staggered wheels are replaced with staggered wheels.
Source? Dinan said no such thing when I inquired with them.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
Source? Dinan said no such thing when I inquired with them.
The goal of my post was to determine the issues/problems, If ANY, associated with the Stage 2 software. There appear to be several cars that have the same powertrain/drivetrain malfunction error.

My posts just relayed the information I received directly from Dinan. Dinan was not referring to any car in particular and certaintly not your car.

If this issue is only coming up on "XI" cars, then with an "I" car I may not need to wait to purchase the software. No need for you to be concerned or seek to call any particular company representative on the carpet.

I look forward to finding out what the relevant issues are in this matter.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
I run on stock wheels. My tires are non staggered but are 45 series rather than OEM 40 series

Old 07-16-2012, 07:38 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
The goal of my post was to determine the issues/problems, If ANY, associated with the Stage 2 software. There appear to be several cars that have the same powertrain/drivetrain malfunction error.

My posts just relayed the information I received directly from Dinan. Dinan was not referring to any car in particular and certaintly not your car.

If this issue is only coming up on "XI" cars, then with an "I" car I may not need to wait to purchase the software. No need for you to be concerned or seek to call any particular company representative on the carpet.

I got my warning while I was with Stage 3 and not Stage 2, but according to my SA it was BMW's fault, not Dinan's. I'm also willing to bet I've pushed my a lot car harder than most and I've only had one light in the 24kmi since my first Dinan install. That's about the same engine light frequency as I had with my previous Benz and Audi before that. Now if I could correlate my repeated camera issues with Dinan, I'd be all over their case.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 07-17-2012, 05:48 AM

Quote:

Thanks for clarifying. Your initial post to me made it seem as though Dinan has owned up to this as being an issue. I've heard nothing from them. I've yet to have this error so anything I can do to mitigate I want to do.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:39 AM
The Driver

I haven't had a drivetrain malfunction at all since I got Dinan.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Old 07-17-2012, 07:30 AM

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
me neither

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 07-17-2012, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: '14 M5 CP
No problems here either and I drove the car pretty hard at the track in stage II and stage III.

'14 M5 CP
Black Sapphire | Black | Executive | Lighting | B&O | Exhaust Meister | 35% Llumar tint | Passport 9500ix

'13 X5 50i M Sport
Carbon Black | Black | M Perf | 20" 333M | Lux Seat | Active | Adaptive | Cold | Tech | Sound | Prem 2 | Apps
Black kidneys | 35% Llumar tint | Passport 9500ix

Retired:
'12 550xi, '11 335xis, '11 X5 50i, '08 BMW 535i, '08 BMW 335xic, '05 Audi S4, '02 Audi TT Coupe