Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 07-13-2012, 12:15 PM

Mein Auto: 335d
Anybody else have this problem?

Picked up a new to me 335d about 2 weeks ago. Traded in a Jetta TDI on it. Drove the Jetta like a normal car and was getting 30+ mpg in the city and 45ish on the highway. I would really watch how I drove trying to wring out the best mileage on it.
Now with the 335d I find myself caring less about the mileage and love driving it like it was meant to. This is my first BMW and I am hooked. I routinely find myself going 80mph on the highway or taking a corner faster than normal. The car just wants to be driven fast. I am by no means beating it but man...I love this car. I know this is not a "problem" per se but I am sure this has happend to others that got their first BMW. I guess the real problem will be the speeding tickets I am sure to get in the near future....
Only bummer is the SES light on but I am set to go in Monday for the recall so that should get it resolved.
Advertisement
Old 07-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Was the ses light on when you got the car? Do you know if the previous owner had it chipped? And BTW, welcome to D club and post some picks when you can.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:16 PM
hang up and drive!

You my friend have been bit by the "D" bug! Welcome and enjoy.

Don't let an SES light ruin your enjoyment.

Take it in, let them scan it, and let us know what they find. You could also do this yourself with one of a number of available tools. I use the Garmin Ecoroute HD.

Often times the SES will go away, reset itself, but invariably it returns, so best take it in especially if you need to do the recall anyway.

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Old 07-14-2012, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesandtrish View Post
Was the ses light on when you got the car? Do you know if the previous owner had it chipped? And BTW, welcome to D club and post some picks when you can.
Thanks for the welcome. Love the D. The light was not on when I bought it. Bought it from a BMW dealer about an hour away and it was a demo/service loaner. Here is a photo. Took it with my cell the day I brought it home so it is not the best.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	332849  

Last edited by axg1040; 07-14-2012 at 05:24 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingman View Post
You my friend have been bit by the "D" bug! Welcome and enjoy.

Don't let an SES light ruin your enjoyment.

Take it in, let them scan it, and let us know what they find. You could also do this yourself with one of a number of available tools. I use the Garmin Ecoroute HD.

Often times the SES will go away, reset itself, but invariably it returns, so best take it in especially if you need to do the recall anyway.
Thanks for the welcome. I did check the code at work with our scanner and it was P20EE (NOx sensor below threshold). I am sure it will all get sorted out Monday when I drop it off. Will be interesting to see what I get for a loaner.
I will be sure to post the results.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:46 AM

Just dropped it off this AM at the dealer to get the recall done and look into the SES light.
Got a 2011 328i convertible as a loaner. Just not the same as the D.
I also have a broken trim part on the passenger side that I think somebody stepped on or caught their shoe on. It is the entry/scuff plate with "BMW" on it. Some of the black plastic on the "W" cut out is broken and missing. I told the service writer I was not sure how it happend and that I just wanted a quote for the part to be replaced. She looked at it and said they will try and get it covered by warranty. We will see. Should be done late today or into tomorrow. Will post the findings.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:31 AM

Welcome aboard amigo,now tune it with a RENNtech flash or JB and u will then be with the big boys,LOL

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Bimmer App
Old 07-16-2012, 10:03 AM

Welcome... effortless acceleration and very good handling got me into trouble with cops. Best is to invest in some kind of radar detector i learnt it hard way

335d Black Sapphire/Biege/Premium/Sport/Cold/Nav/CA/PDC/iPod

Old 07-16-2012, 10:06 AM

As I was driving I noticed the loaner radio display (same basic one I have) was crisp and clear even though it had sat in the sun up to lunch time. My display gets lighter in some areas in the LED display when it is hot out. Once the car cools off the display goes back to normal. Basically some pixels stay bright and some get dim. I know this is an issue from the few searches I did. This loaner is a 2011 and has just about the same mileage as mine so clearly mine must have an issue.
I called the SA and left her a message to add looking into the radio as part of the ticket.
Seems some members live with this and other get the radio replaced.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:11 AM

Now that you mention I am seeing similar issue on loaner I have right now. I am not used to changing radio stations on non-Idrive so I thought thats how it is.

335d Black Sapphire/Biege/Premium/Sport/Cold/Nav/CA/PDC/iPod

Old 07-16-2012, 08:26 PM

Mein Auto: 335i, Dinan ECU etc
Axg,
I'm in the same boat. I've got mad love for the roundel...it all started with my old E46. As for driving 80, yeah it's such a smooth sweet car at that speed. Recently in Texas they upped the speed limit to 75 on certain stretches which means 80 won't get you pulled over. Anything like that in VA?

This morning I picked up a CPO 2009 'd' with 60k on the clock. late this evening I was taking a buddy on a test run and with the engine under heavy load, the SES light came on. Is this like your situation? I have not pulled any codes yet since it was fairly late but it will be first thing I do tomorrow morning. So yes, AXG I'm having problems too. Keep us posted
Old 07-17-2012, 04:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335d
Any word yet on what your SES light was all about?
Old 07-17-2012, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
Any word yet on what your SES light was all about?
Not yet. Hoping to hear this AM. After having the 2011 328i convertible loaner for 24 hours I can say without a doubt I love the D even more. The D's power just seems more fluid when you accelerate and the engine does not feel like it is working that hard. The 328 engine to me feels like it is louder and working harder. The noise level may just be the fact that it is a convertible.
As soon as I hear something I will post an update.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:58 AM

Just got a voicemail from my SA. Said the recall work is almost complete and the SES light was related to the recall. She did not elaborate.
She also mentioned the trim part and radio would be replaced under warranty.
They have the radio in stock but the trim part will not be in until tomorrow.
Looks like another day in the 328.
Should have heard her perk up when I said..."do you send out a survey"?.......
So far pleased with this dealer.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330i
Pixel fade on radio

Pixel fade on the BMW 3 series radios seems to be a common problem in hot weather. I have this on my 2006 330i.

There is a company called German Audio Tech that offers a repair service for around $171 that you can order through e-Bay.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Wonder if the pixel fade is simply from the heat itself or from sun exposure to the display.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
Wonder if the pixel fade is simply from the heat itself or from sun exposure to the display.
Not sure but mine would look like the one in the post below after the car was parked in the sun with a sun shade in the window. I park inside in a garage at night. http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=689416
After the car cooled down (15-20 mins) the display would start to get better and come back after about 30 mins or so. Oddly enough the loaner I have is the same year and has about the same mileage and I can bet has never seen a sun shade...the display on its radio is perfect even with it being 101 here today.
Not sure what causes it but they are putting in a new radio so we will see how it holds up.

Last edited by axg1040; 07-17-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
I figured a sun shade might not be enough since sun can go in through the windows or even sun roof(if that door is not shut) and hit the radio display. It probably is solely just bad luck and heat combined to cause the problem. I tend to always park in covered parking but does make me wonder none the less.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:01 PM

Just picked up the D from the dealer. According to the invoice here is a brief summary of what was done:

SES light/recall:
SES light due to issues related with recall (their words)
EGR Valve replace - defect code 0011760200
O-ring
Rubber seal
Program control units with CAS and test vehicle.
Check emissions monitoring components and program units with CAS. Defect code 0018370100
Radio issue:
Duplicated concern with display. Removed radio and pulled fuse for 20 secs. Reinstalled fuse and checked radio pixels following the test plan - the ISID said replace the radio. removed and replaced the radio - programmed new radio.
Passenger side door sill trim:
Sill panel is cracked - "Todd" inspected and auth to replace sill plate.