Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: z4
Z4 Roof Problem

I've had my 2003 Z4 for just over a year now and today the roof failed to open. I was just wondering if this could be connected with recent malfunctions of both passenger and drivers side electric windows - both of which failed within a day of each other during and after a recent service at my local BMW main dealer. Both motors had to be replaced at considerable cost., which was very hard to swallow since I new all was working fine before I handed over the car. Two weeks have now passed since the window motors were replaced and until today the roof had been working without problem.

Can anybody offer any advise, ie is there some way of resetting things manually, is it likely to be a fuse problem or am I looking at another replacement motor.

Any advice.
Ads by Google
Old 05-07-2009, 11:45 AM
F e s t S p o n s o r

Mein Auto: 2010 X5
I'm sure you place the headliner cover up then down again just to make sure it is seated properly.
BMWCCA Member #390735
Old 05-08-2009, 02:00 PM
Underway on Nuclear Power

Mein Auto: Me
Thumbs up

What exactly are the indications?

If all fuses are good, you have other issues.

If you press the button and nothing happens except the light blinks, then it is most likely the 'rear compartment floor' switch. The 'rear compartment floor', located in the trunk must be in the down posistion. Sometimes the micro switch on the rear firewall fails or its 'switch arm' gets bent.

To test this, you can remove the 'rear compartment floor', then remove the switch. Then pressing the switch, have someone attempt to open your top. If the top opens, your golden. Cheap, easy fix.
A new switch is $35.00 from the dealer.

If you press the button and the top unlocks but does not move, then based on your cars age, it most likely is the Soft Top motor that has failed.

A new motor is $500.00 from the dealer. Less from online sources.
To have the dealer perform this repair is $1600.

The complete Soft Top assembly must be removed to effect repair.

I just performed this repair on my car. The How-To I wrote up is over on Z4-Forum.com.

How to remove the top: http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewto...p?f=12&t=10189

How to remove the motor: http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewto...p?f=12&t=10190
Furthermore, does legality establish morality?
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 05-10-2009, 01:52 AM

Thanks for responding,

I would say the switch problem seems the more likely issue since your description matches my experiences exacly. I'm having a machanic look at it on Tuesday so hopefully it will be nothing more serious.

Thanks again
Old 07-01-2009, 08:06 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4
Hi all,

I don't have the exact same problem but the links provided with instructions on how to remove the roof might come in handy at some point - thanks alot for these instruction with pictures!

The roof problem I have is that when I put the roof down the inner lining of the roof catches on the locking latch behind the seats, the locking latch is where the roof locks to when in the down position (don't know the technical term). It looks like the inner lining folds outward as the roof goes down, scratches against it and it is causing damage to the inner lining.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

If so, how did you fix it?

Or, if you wouldn't mid checking how big of a clearance you have when you put your roof down.

Many thanks all.
Henry
Old 08-05-2011, 11:16 AM

Curious....just got the news from the "service" reps at 1-800 # that becasue the motor they installed for the roof is past the two year waranty date that they will not do anything. It is clear there is a design flaw whereby water penetrates the motor housing which causes it to fail. The motor should have been water-proofed or somehow designed to allow water to drain when it rains. It's BS to simply accept it will cost you $1,500 when it's clear this is a habitual issue with the Z4's (2003 model, not sure about others)

Does anyone know of a class action lawsuit? I'm tempted to get one started as they refuse to admit this problem when in fact BMW's own service techs admit it's a real issue.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:13 AM

Mein Auto: 03 Z4 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwiney View Post
Does anyone know of a class action lawsuit? I'm tempted to get one started as they refuse to admit this problem when in fact BMW's own service techs admit it's a real issue.
Good luck with this idea. Official claims and reports were filed with the sticky steering issue, that is actually a mechanical safety issue with the car, and were rejected, even after being acknowledged by BMW and the NHSTA. As much as I would like to see something helpful, Here's what BMW will probably say: "There in a drain in the compartment with the convertible top motor for water to drain. It is the responsibility of the owner to be sure that drain stays clear and the convertible top motor will remain dry and functional."
Old 07-18-2012, 05:19 PM

Mein Auto: Z4
convertible top has no power where is fuse 2003 bmw z4

I have been told it is under the hood and behind the glove box
Old 02-07-2013, 02:29 AM

Mein Auto: Z4
Thanks Shipkiller

Hi Shipkiller,
thanks for all the advice and postings on the Z4 roof issue. Your input has saved me thousands. The detail is great and the photographs perfect. I've so far replaced my crankcase breather unit and solved an intermittent problem on the wiper system. My hood is now on the floor of the garage thanks to your postings and I'm about to remove the hydraulic motor.

Thanks from a very grateful UK submariner (Trident SSBN engineer).
Old 04-16-2013, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 3.0
I replaced a roof motor thanks to Shipkiller diagrams. I even talked to a person who works for the hydraulic motor manufacturer. He stated BMW never told them they were going to install their motor under a waterfall. This sums up the entire problem. BMW can not say keep the drain clear or else. I blame BMW for designing a hydro motor/housing installed where it is. If you purchase a hydraulic motor and the hydro lines are on opposite sides from the original make sure you switch the wires also. If you attempt to do it yourself you'll see what I mean when you replace the motor. Also make sure you seal the housing with the best caulk you can find so water doen't penetrate in the plastic housing again. 2003-2005 has this issue. I believe they fixed it in 2006.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:44 PM
Underway on Nuclear Power

Mein Auto: Me
RMeter,
BMW did attempt to fix the issue in the 2006 MY, but it was a halve A$$ed fix. The housing will still let water in...
As I stated in the original DIY and as you have reiterated, if you have the top out of the car, RTV the hell out of the housing, paying particular attention to where the hydraulic line penetrations on the housing.
Furthermore, does legality establish morality?
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams