Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 06-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via ICQ to e.biemold
Mein Auto: BMW E91 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivier31 View Post
which size is this beautifull van nicholas zion 29? i'm going to buy this model..
You can see all dimensions in this drawing

Larger version here
Old 06-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise_bone View Post
I'm thinking of moving from my flat bar road bike up to the Secteur. How is the geometry compared to the Sirrus? Is it significantly more aggressive? My biggest concern is my back and how much harder the Secteur would be on it.
The Secteur is a bit of a "middle of the road" approach and is designed to enable a slightly more upright seating position, but nowhere near as upright as on a hybrid flat-bar.

I was concerned making that move but since I do ride long distances (40-60 miles), it just made so much more sense to get a roadie rather than a hybrid. The weight difference alone is immense in the same price class.

I had the Secteur properly fitted for me at a bike shop and am happy to report that it has not given me any issues whatsoever transitioning from the hybrid to the Secteur. No back issues, only a few muscle issues as my body adjusted to the different seating position.

I'd highly recommend the Secteur and am glad I went away from the hybrid.

EDIT: By the way, the actual ride is not harsh at all in my opinion. Keep in mind that my previous ride was light steel (much more flex than Aluminum) and I ran tires at 8 PSI. These tires I run at 105 PSI. Recommendation is 125 PSI but that's really a bit over the top, imho. In any case, I have observed no comfort issues, unless you encounter a sudden road imperfection that the previous bike would have handled more gracefully. That was to be expected though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY

Last edited by cwinter; 06-06-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:39 PM
False Enthusiast

Mein Auto: '10 335xi '12 X3 2.8i
I worked in the bicycle business for many years so I went big before I got out.

Riding is my summer passion.

jummo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bike on deck.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	328112  
Old 06-07-2012, 03:30 PM
I brew life

Mein Auto: 2005 ZHP, Wife's Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan2263 View Post
Hey Phatlipt745, do you have any non-blurry pics of your lowrider? I'd love to see it.
Looks kinda like Dragula

Sent from my ADR6400L using Bimmer App

Has already been awarded the title "Destroyer of Sleep"
Old 06-07-2012, 10:29 PM
Omni Extaris

Mein Auto: The Axles of Evil
My current ride is a 1974 LeJeune road bike, full Campagnolo, Reynlods 531DB.

Very classic vintage steel road bike.

First bike was an Eddy Mercxx 1970 road bike - rode it from NYC to the Olympic peninsula in 1974.

After that I got a Frejus.

Both were stolen. Found the Frejus awhile later underneath some kid riding down the street.
He "fell off" and I got my bike back.

I'm thinking of replacing the LeJeune with another vintage 70s or 80s road bike - maybe something Italian this time. Masi, Colnago, something nice.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=7800&dateline=1275495849
Old 06-08-2012, 09:09 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulg View Post
My current ride is a 1974 LeJeune road bike, full Campagnolo, Reynlods 531DB.

Very classic vintage steel road bike.

First bike was an Eddy Mercxx 1970 road bike - rode it from NYC to the Olympic peninsula in 1974.

After that I got a Frejus.

Both were stolen. Found the Frejus awhile later underneath some kid riding down the street.
He "fell off" and I got my bike back.

I'm thinking of replacing the LeJeune with another vintage 70s or 80s road bike - maybe something Italian this time. Masi, Colnago, something nice.
There is nothing like a well taken care of vintage bike! My dad still has one I'll eventually restore and ride again from time to time (he rode it during his teens/20s.) That being said, you should give a new one a try if you can. Switching from steel to aluminum was quite an eye opener for me once I had to get up my first hill. It's nice not having to drag all that steel up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 07-19-2012, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Just picked up a 2013 CAAD10 with 105 groupo..
Love this bike.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2013 Cannondale CAAD10 photo.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	333416  
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto: Audi a4 quattro 6/MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Just picked up a 2013 CAAD10 with 105 groupo..
Love this bike.
Cool, gratz on the new, bike. Enjoy!!! Have fun and be safe! How many miles have you put on her already? What kind of rack do you use?

Im looking at a Pinerallo w Dura Ace for my next race, but I may stay on my Look (french bike for ironman france...Hehe)

Sent from my MB855 using Bimmer App
Old 07-23-2012, 12:54 PM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
I ride a Peugeot 1978. 34 years old and north of 10000km. Similar to this one but in red.

I am considering a new bike. I am lost in the process (so many choices). Anybody has a clue what "mainstream" brands are manufactured in USA/Canada? Although all the large surfaces have decent 300$ bikes, I would prefer to avoid a made-in Asia bike, whatever the reason. I want a comfort bike.

Last edited by Saintor; 07-23-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:36 PM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
I ride a Peugeot 1978. 34 years old and north of 10000km. Similar to this one but in red.

I am considering a new bike. I am lost in the process (so many choices). Anybody has a clue what "mainstream" brands are manufactured in USA/Canada? Although all the large surfaces have decent 300$ bikes, I would prefer to avoid a made-in Asia bike, whatever the reason. I want a comfort bike.
not sure if you can get a north american made bike for around $300. probably a minimum of $1k for something made here.

"You know, by the time you become the leader of a country, someone else makes all the decisions. You may find that you can get away with virtual presidents, virtual prime ministers, virtual everything" - Bill Clinton

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes the laws." -
Old 07-24-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post

I believe this is right...though i think certain models are not made in the states. Can anyone comment?? (I know my cannondales were made in usa at least...)

Cannondale.... usa
Cervelo...canada
Trek...usa
Seven...usa
Felt...usa

A $300 bike, I think you meant $3,000?

Old 07-24-2012, 09:17 AM
lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinSand View Post
I believe this is right...though i think certain models are not made in the states. Can anyone comment?? (I know my cannondales were made in usa at least...)

Cannondale.... usa
Cervelo...canada
Trek...usa
Seven...usa
Felt...usa

A $300 bike, I think you meant $3,000?

sounds about right.

my specialized stumpjumper (old school '97) and my old rockymountain fusion ('91) was made in USA and canada respectively. Not sure about where these are made now.

"You know, by the time you become the leader of a country, someone else makes all the decisions. You may find that you can get away with virtual presidents, virtual prime ministers, virtual everything" - Bill Clinton

Old 12-21-2012, 09:56 PM
lurking

got a xmas present for myself

2012 opus andante (carbon)

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	opusandante.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	354162  

Old 12-22-2012, 05:09 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Mein Auto: 325iT
^^^ nice ride.

I have a new job at a shop which doesn't sell Cervelo , so, my R5 has to go. I test rode a Madone 6 series for a week, and it's very light and smooth, but I'm more used to a "harder" ride. I think there's going to be an S-Works Tarmac in my future.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...?id=1338939628
"I May Be Going To Hell In A Bucket But At Least I'm Enjoying The Ride"
Old 12-22-2012, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW View Post
got a xmas present for myself

2012 opus andante (carbon)

Nice.
Merry Christmas!
Old 12-22-2012, 07:26 AM
Hydrocarbon Man

Mein Auto: Too slow to name
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan2263 View Post
^^^ nice ride.

I have a new job at a shop which doesn't sell Cervelo , so, my R5 has to go. I test rode a Madone 6 series for a week, and it's very light and smooth, but I'm more used to a "harder" ride. I think there's going to be an S-Works Tarmac in my future.
Just fyi, I have gotten multiple email's from Trek regarding a $500 off sale on Project One bikes.

Edit: Nevermind. Working at shop, you probably get a better deal than that anyways.

Last edited by Ajax; 12-22-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:36 PM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Mein Auto: 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
Just fyi, I have gotten multiple email's from Trek regarding a $500 off sale on Project One bikes.

Edit: Nevermind. Working at shop, you probably get a better deal than that anyways.
Thanks for the heads up, but yes, Trek has very good deals for "key" employees. Specialized isn't quite as aggressive, but it's still better than wholesale.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...?id=1338939628
"I May Be Going To Hell In A Bucket But At Least I'm Enjoying The Ride"
Old 12-22-2012, 07:04 PM

Mein Auto: 328Ci; A4 1.8T
Commuting duties - Giant TCX Rabobank
Trail riding - Rocky Mountain Blizzard
Road riding - Cervelo RS

I've used hitch racks, roof racks, and the ones that hang on the back of the car. I didn't like the ones on the back of the car, but I really like the hitch and roof racks.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:40 PM
Physics Badass

Mein Auto: 330 & C6Z
old school trek top fuel 100, xtr stuff, mavic cross max, egg beaters, niterider 1500 pro.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:53 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Me
Lynskey Helix Titanium/Dura Ace (tourer)
Velo Vie 300 Carbon/Dura Ace (racer)
Velo Vie 200 Carbon/Dura Ace (beater)

Mrs D
Cervelo RS/Dura Ace (primary)
Trek 5500/Dura Ace (spare)

Both of us
Sanatana Team AL

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 12-31-2012, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Me
Lynskey Helix Titanium/Dura Ace (tourer)
Velo Vie 300 Carbon/Dura Ace (racer)
Velo Vie 200 Carbon/Dura Ace (beater)

Mrs D
Cervelo RS/Dura Ace (primary)
Trek 5500/Dura Ace (spare)

Both of us
Sanatana Team AL

Wow. You and the mrs have quite a collection! Love it!!!
Old 01-27-2013, 04:46 PM
Hydrocarbon Man

Festers, I am going through my bi-annual 'want a bike' phase again, but serious about it this year. I am at a loss as to what to even look at, and market 'choice' has left me somewhat paralyzed. My current bike is a 2005 Trek Madone 5.2SL that is, other than the saddle, completely stock. Since this one has been reliable, I figured that I would get another one, as Project One allows you to really create most anything you want from the get go (of course using Bontrager equipment.) Is there anyone here who transitioned from Trek to a different brand and was impressed in one way or another? Or are they all pretty much the same these days?

I ride with guys and girls who ride Fuji, Willier, Cannondale, Litespeed, Felt, Specialized, Orbea, Pinarello, Cervelo (lots,) and of course, Trek. Of course, everyone loves their bike, so I feel like I'm not getting unbiased information. On the flipside, a web perusal results in a bunch of horror stories.

I am not a small guy, 6'3" and run about 220lbs, Once in form, I can push low to mid 20's for speed (pretty flat here) and have averaged about 3,000 miles/year in the last 4. I don't have any back issues, but can't fold myself in half either. I'd probably prefer something similar to a Trek Performance (H2 in their parlance) fit.

Exclusive of wheels, my budget is probably going to max at ~$6,500. I'm not going to throw carbon rims on it immediately, but have thought about it. Lots of fancy round things in our group too.

Looking for suggestions, and don't forget, if you've switched FROM a Trek, I'd like to hear your story, pros and cons.

*Edit*

I understand that in the end, actual, longer test rides are in order. I am just casting a wide net to see what comes back.

Last edited by Ajax; 01-27-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
For those that like to ride bikes and love tech gadgets I am developing a great gadget many bikers will love. Should be ready for export within 3 months or so.
330 Coupe Sold
Old 04-10-2013, 05:07 PM
Hydrocarbon Man

Sometimes choice is not a good thing...

After a few months of investigation, pricing, gnashing of teeth, and general indecision, I decided to order a Seven a few weeks ago. My LBS measured me up, I had my phone interview, and today I approved the geometry and measurements. I should have it about the middle of May.

Pulled all the stops and ordered a 622SLX with Campy Record mechanical and Zipp 404's.

A 911 will have to wait one more year I reckon.

I'm going with a carbon seat post instead of their Ti, but it should look similar to this:

Last edited by Ajax; 04-10-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
Sometimes choice is not a good thing...

After a few months of investigation, pricing, gnashing of teeth, and general indecision, I decided to order a Seven a few weeks ago. My LBS measured me up, I had my phone interview, and today I approved the geometry and measurements. I should have it about the middle of May.

Pulled all the stops and ordered a 622SLX with Campy Record mechanical and Zipp 404's.

A 911 will have to wait one more year I reckon.

I'm going with a carbon seat post instead of their Ti, but it should look similar to this:

Beautiful. You'll have to post pix once you actually get her.