Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 07-19-2012, 02:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 X5 4.6is w/Dinan mod
Unhappy Help! 2003 X5 (E53) 4.6is - code P1349 & blinking engine light

I really need some insight into a problem scenario I've experienced during the past month. I'm out of warranty & do minor/intermediate repairs myself but I'm lost on this this one & need guidance.

The following occur whether cold start or not. Cold climate isn't a factor either. It's been ~ 90-100 degrees f every day since start of May.

1) Seems to be excessive gasoline smell after starting (cold start or not).

2) Loud, rough idle... vehicle shakes

3) running *very* rough when either in reverse gear or with air conditioner on. With the increased shaking, actually feels like driving a tank or large diesel truck. So rough that it feels it might stall, yet never does.

4) Fuel economy = big hit since issues began

5) "Service Engine Soon" is static at idle, started flashing when accelerating or ascending... past few weeks (except for idling) has been flashing whenever I'm driving, no matter the scenario.

6) Pulled codes three weeks ago & got only P1348 (Misfire During Start Cylinder 4). Cleared code.

7) Rechecked codes two days ago & now only getting P1349 (Misfire Cylinder 4 With Fuel Cut-off).

I'm fairly technical but don't even know where to begin with all this due to so many possible causes.

- Why only P1348 then only P1349?
- Check cylinder 4 plug, coil?
- Has 106k miles. Needs tune-up?
- Why the rich gas odor? Fuel filter/pump? Need to adjust ratio? O2 sensor issue? (I've often had to let tank get very low during past 6 months while traveling in remote locations, until I could find a gas station)
- Have Dinan Stage I + exhaust. Don't think that would be involved in this situation (?)

All I have are the symptoms & the code history to go by, which are out of my technical comprehension.

What are your thoughts? Any insight regarding this frustrating problem scenario is greatly appreciated!

THANKS
Advertisement
Old 07-19-2012, 02:41 PM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
My initial thought is to inform you that you may have a fouled plug.
If your vehicle is able to be down for a while you could check your inner valve gaskets and see if oil is seeping through to the plug.
p1349 is a misfire, but it can be Many things including but not limited to camshaft position sensor, and too lean mixture fuel (which would be caused by a fuel cutoff on that injector).
This post below should start you in the right direction. But from the start I would see if oil is getting to your plug(s).

http://blog.bavauto.com/9092/bmw-and...3-p1349-p1351/
Old 07-19-2012, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto: X5 3.0i
I'd lean towards the coil. For $35ea I'd replace that and the spark plugs. It wouldn't hurt to get some MAF cleaner and clean your MAF sensor to. I had a rough Idle issue recently but a different code. I had to replace the Air Adjustment Unit to the intake, problem solved. Even though this most likely isn't your issue, it takes 10min to remove, inspect and install it back and are known to go bad as well as the Vacuum Valve after 80k miles.

Best of luck,

Mud~