Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 bmw z3 roadster 2.3
Brake pads

Hello, i have a 2000 bmw z3 roadster,planning to change my brake pads, is it okay to use autozones pads? Do i also need a new sensor? Please advice me..im a newbie... thanks
Ads by Google
Old 07-18-2012, 06:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0i Roadster, K1300S
If you have not yet worn through the brake pad wear sensor so that the light on the dash has come one, then you should be able to reuse your existing sensors. However, the sensors are fairly cheap, so why not install new ones to eliminate this as a potential source for a false alarm during the life of your new brake pads?

As for Autozone brake pads, they will probably work, but again, brake pads are relatively cheap so why not use use quality brake pads on your BMW? BMW/OEM pads are a little pricey, not to mention dusty, but there are plenty of excellent aftermarket pads out there. I personally installed Axxis/PBR Metal Masters (semi-metallic) on my 3.0 Roadster, and have been very happy with them . . . excellent performance and no dust.

Also, if your brake pads pads are worn out, check your brake rotors also to see if they are near their wear limit. The general consensus seems to be to replace BMW/OEM rotors at the same time as you replace brake pads because BMW/OEM rotors seem to be softer and will not last through two sets of brake pads.
"Beemer" is for my BMW motorcycles - '13 K1300S, '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S (gone, but not forgotten).

Last edited by BeemerMikeTX; 07-18-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:07 PM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Actually only BMW recommends new rotors everytime you change pads. Most people have found that you can wait every other set of pads.

Or others, just don't worry about the rotors for a good number of miles.

WRT the sensors, if the brake light is not on for worn pads, the sensor is fine. It is a one shot sensor, it is fine or it used. No need to change if it is not indicating worn brakes.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 07-18-2012, 06:54 PM
car poor all my life

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 3.0i Auto
I have auto zones best pads on my Z3 and they seem as good as what was on it,I also changed the front sensor as it was spent.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:35 PM
BE IRIE

Mein Auto: 1996 Z3 1.9L M44
If you want to reuse the sensors, be careful taking them off. Mine broke off (was trying to reuse) so I had to replace them. They are fairly inexpensive so change them anyways.

Check rotor wear. If it's still over the minimum then don't need to replace them.

1996 Z3 (M44)
Old 07-20-2012, 07:13 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
I taped my sensors back against the wire. I have the wheels off enough and check the brakes, so sensor it not needed.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)