Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 12-13-2011, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: Morgan+8, (EvaGT), X3 F25

Last edited by TogMog; 12-31-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:06 AM
MSport is Best Sport

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 Coupe, Comp, 6mt
Been using the iPod cable in the USB port. Simple, easy and Free! While the combox operation can be a bit quirky (I made a special podcast playlist labled X3 to get around most of them), for the most part it works really well with the iPhone 4 and iOS 5.

2005 BMW M3 Coupe Black/Black 6mt- sold
Old 12-14-2011, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Just in case this was not clear, all the apps work with only the USB connection. Also, the $250 add on is worth it solely for the Pandora connectivity. That is not to mention future possibilities.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy29 View Post
Also, the $250 add on is worth it solely for the Pandora connectivity. That is not to mention future possibilities.
Or, if you want a better interface for the iPod integration. It is also faster when navigating via the cradle.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:59 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi
I'm a little confused about this. I have not been too happy about the BMW apps and using the regular USB or bluetooth interface. My gripe is I don't like the navigation system between songs.

Can I browse through artists, albums, etc. via the snap-in adapter or is it still an insane alphabetical list of 10K songs or crappy playlists?
Old 12-21-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirgrotius View Post
I'm a little confused about this. I have not been too happy about the BMW apps and using the regular USB or bluetooth interface. My gripe is I don't like the navigation system between songs.

Can I browse through artists, albums, etc. via the snap-in adapter or is it still an insane alphabetical list of 10K songs or crappy playlists?
The Media adapter lets you browse songs on your iPhone in a most convenient way. It looks just like the iPod interface, i.e. Songs, Albums, Artist, Playlists. And you see the cover art while browsing, too. The standard way of searching with just the white cable drove me nuts.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
The Media adapter lets you browse songs on your iPhone in a most convenient way. It looks just like the iPod interface, i.e. Songs, Albums, Artist, Playlists. And you see the cover art while browsing, too. The standard way of searching with just the white cable drove me nuts.
Got it. I need it. Thx!
Old 12-21-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Got it. I need it. Thx!
I would take a picture of the interface for ya, but of course my iPhone would be in the cradle! The interface is not like any other iDrive menu. There is a blue background with the album art, it looks nice. Someone took a picture of it, here or on bimmerpost, but I can't find it now. I used the white cable during European Delivery, and searching for songs/albums/artist about drove me insane! Now that I have the adapter, I am very happy.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:20 PM

Here's one picture I found:

Old 12-21-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Here's one picture I found:

Thanks so much!

I'm heading over to my dealer tomorrow to demand one!
Old 12-21-2011, 07:32 PM

Also, Pandora integration is sweet. Sorry for the poor quality, this is my pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3801.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	305638  
Old 12-21-2011, 07:38 PM

Now if only my non-Xenon blunder were as easy to rectify.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Now if only my non-Xenon blunder were as easy to rectify.
Oh well, when you upgrade to a 2018 X3 it will probably have full LED headlights and be even sweeter
Old 12-22-2011, 10:11 AM

Picked up the adapter today. Totally worth it. A little strange to me that this isn't set up beforehand. It seems such an improvement in menu layout, functionality, etc.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Picked up the adapter today. Totally worth it. A little strange to me that this isn't set up beforehand. It seems such an improvement in menu layout, functionality, etc.
Cool. It's funny to read all these people who bash the Adapter + BMW Apps. To me, both are an integral part of the car experience, and I would be frustrated without them both.

According to BMW, the adapter provides for faster menu navigation as well. Definitely one of the cheaper upgrades/additions for a BMW.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:56 PM

Mein Auto: X3 35i
IPhone case

Has anyone found an iPhone 4 case that works with the snap-in cradle? I've heard people say that they need to take the phone out of the case every time they want to use it in the cradle. That could be annoying. Thx.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335i
I don't believe that it would be possible for any case to work with the cradle I don't use a case for my iPhone so it's not a problem for me. But I imagine it would be pretty much of a pain for someone who does.

2012 X3 xDrive 35i - as of 12/30/11
Deep Sea Blue/Mojave/Fineline Trim, SAP, DHP, Premium, Premium Sound, Technology, Cold Weather I&II, BMW Apps
Previous:
2009 335i Sedan
2007 335i Sedan
2003 540i
2000 528i
Old 01-01-2012, 03:43 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna-01 View Post
Hi,

There is not a physical connection between the phone and the antenna--there is an inductive connection. The cradle contains an inductive pickup that couples your smart phone to the car's sharkfin. This is a direct route to the antenna designated "telephone 1 & 2 and does not relate to BMW assist cellular functions. The cradle holds the phone in a very specific position to align the smartphone antenna with the inductive pickup.

The advantage with the shark fin is that it is outside the car...a cell phone inside a metal car is severely compromised--that's why there are cell towers seemingly every two feet.

A lot of the confusion comes from no two cell phones being the same in layout or
functionality.

All this info is available on the BMW Tech Info web site, which requires a daily subscription for unlimited downloads. You can also find some info on the BMW coders site--look for the combox document. You can see this antenna setup in the diagrams.

so, yes there's a connection, but it is not physical

best

Luna-01
Sorry but I find it highly unlikely that they would use inductive coupling which would require an analog connection and not digital. Also, if they did that the amount of digital dirt would make it difficult to hear anything properly.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 07-09-2012, 04:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonga View Post
thanks meta, i guess my brain was fried after a long day of work and i just missed that line.

Anyways, I tested it. I put my phone in field test mode, and it read -70. Then, I put my phone in the cradle, and it still read -70. I then proceeded to make a phone call to see if that would change anything. Nope, after the phone call, it still read -70. (I'm pretty sure when I was actually calling the person, it switched over to the normal bars).

Perhaps -70 is the best signal possible? Or maybe it works better in a spot with poor coverage?

(This test used a Verizon iPhone 4S, and a 2012 X3 with dock and bmw apps)

QUICK UPDATE!!!

So I found out today that the cradle absolutely does boost the 4S's signal!

I usually keep my phone in my pocket for short drives and put it in the cradle for longer trips. Today, coming home from work, I was on the phone and about to pass a spot where I always ALWAYS get disconnected. Well, I figured it would be a good time to test the cradle to see if it would help.

Well, wouldn't you know it, but I did not get disconnected and my girlfriend could hear me perfectly fine. I also noticed that my cell phone signal strength (on iDrive) increased from 2 bars to 4 bars when I put it in there.

...to anyone on the fence about the cradle, absolutely get it! MOG, Pandora, iTunes integration, and a better cell phone signal are reason enough to justify the cost. (Plus when it's in the cradle I am MUCH less inclined to check a text message).
Old 07-09-2012, 09:13 PM

Mein Auto: 13 X3 35i MSport, 09 135i
Does anyone know if you can use (or somehow make fit) an iPod touch in the cradle? I leave one in my car all the time and would love to use the iPod out interface instead of the standard one. If I can just leave it in the cradle instead of using the cord that would be great.

I understand I wouldn't get the online features like Pandora, etc - but just for the interface alone sounds interesting.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:51 AM

Mein Auto: 750i
What adapter do I need to make my 4s work properly for my 2007 750i?
Old 07-20-2012, 10:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Lexus View Post
What adapter do I need to make my 4s work properly for my 2007 750i?
You are on the second generation X3 forum. You'll probably get more replies on the 7 series forum found here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=126.

Last edited by Want the Thrill; 07-20-2012 at 10:16 AM.