Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 328d MSport
My Humble 10-Day Report...a 2012 328i Sedan

For my 100th post on Bimmerfest (yes, I'm way behind most of you guys) I thought I'd summarize a couple of things about my new F30:

What I got:

2012 328i Sedan (Mineral Gray / Coral Red / Aluminum w/Black Stripe)

5/18/12 Order Placed
5/21/12 Production Started
5/30/12 Production Completed
6/8/12 Vehicle Boards Vega Leader in Bremerhaven
7/2/12 Vehicle Arrives at Port Hueneme
7/7/12 Vehicle Arrives at Dealer
7/9/12 Vehicle Delivered to Me

Sportline
Sport Automatic
Variable Sport Steering
Premium Package
Technology Package
Parking Package
Xenon Headlights
Heated Front Seats
Alarm System
BMW Apps
BMW Assist

Choice in Color:

I have to preface any discussion about the highly personal issue of color selection by saying that up until this F30, I had always been a black / black kind of guy. I wouldn't even consider any other option until I actually saw my first Jet Black F30 and something was lost in it for me. It was still a beautiful car, yes. But it just didn't sell the car for me as easily as it did on my E90. I then considered the other options and really tried to look at each color and how it worked on the F30's body. I found that for me, the Mineral Gray was stunning and was the perfect compliment to the design of this latest BMW. Now that the car is actually in my garage and I've been enjoying it for the last 10 days I still love walking up to the car everytime and it only serves to reinforce my opinion about this selection. The choice to go with red for the interior was a similarly emotional influenced decision and I feel it is perfectly suited to this car and to the mineral gray shell that surrounds it.

The Look:

Mean and sharp. There is a lot going on in the design of this car and for an architect like myself the details are just as important as the overall (if not arguably more so). The nose in particular of this car is low and wide as if ready to pounce on the road laid out before it. The rear is definetely a bit restrained by contrast but I think the accent lines beautifully bring you through the experience of the aggressive front of the car back to the rear. The interior is stunning, especially in the very vibrant shade of red that I specified. Sharp contrasts abound but it all works together quite well in my opinion and I look forward to strapping myself in everyday.

The Drive

I was quite worried actually about the driving experience feeling a bit disconnected after reading the popular opinion on this board and also based on my experience driving the F30 at a local Team USA event. I am happy to report that my experience with this car has been nothing short of amazing. Everything from power delivery and feel of the turbo 4 to the steering system itself have impressed. And that last item was the one that shocked me the most. The steering system doesn't feel as "loose" or "overly boosted" as I had been led to believe (including in the EcoPro Mode) or remembered feeling on the non-Sportline F30 from the Team USA event. I don't know if it is the Sport Variable Steering system playing a part in this, if they changed something prior to my May build date, or whether it just feels good to me and I'm the only one. Regardless, I have nothing but positive things to say about my F30 to date. Yes, there is the ocassional "diesel-clatter-like" noise at idle (though rare), and the auto-start-stop systemn (A.S.S.) is a little rough when the vehicle is cold but i don't really think either of those things detract at all from the driving experience. And while on the point of the A.S.S. system, I think its great honestly. You definitely notice it but it hasn't proven to be too intrusive or annoying to me at all. In those situations where I don't want to worry about a 1/2 second delay from releasing the brake to pressing the accellerator I simply slightly turn the wheel to get it started right before I am ready to move. I haven't even been tempted to turn it off yet so at least for the time being, I like the system.

The Toys:

As I ordered this car exactly how I wanted it, I also choose to try out some of the nice toys that are offered on this car. I love the H.U.D. system and find it shows just the right amount of information when it is needed. The main nav screen is beautiful and I haven't found it to wash out in direct sun light either. The Parking cameras have been nice as well as I like to back into spots quite often so its nice to see the curbs on both sides of the vehicle and to be able to see if there is a car coming when I start to pull out of the space again. I would have like to have the speed limit display but I didn't feel the need for lane detection and blind spot mirros in a small car like this so oh well on that one.

Conclusion:

There is actually quite alot one can say even after owning a car for such a short time but I thought I'd share at least some of them as a new owner. I'm definitely looking forward to having this car for a while and I am completely content with my selection (engine, transmission, options and colors).

Thanks for reading!

2014 328d M-Sport ED: 5/2/2014
2013 F30 Activehybrid3 MSport (Gone)
2012 F30 328i Sportline (Gone)

Last edited by arktctr; 07-19-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 07-19-2012, 09:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 MG 328i Sport 6MT
Nice review. Totally agree with the MG color comments. Glad to see your comments about the VSS, as I didn't have the chance to drive a car with it before I ordered. I will (hopefully) be able to share my new car experience in about a month...
Old 07-19-2012, 09:59 AM
Driving for fun again. .

Mein Auto: 2013 335i SportLine
Thanks for the review. Mine is on a boat and will be here in about a month. I agree with you about the color.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 Lexus ES 350
Great review and congrats. More pics please

Delivered!! Order in June 22, 2012. PCD, 2013 335i xDrive Sedan, Mineral Grey Sport Line, Brushed Aluminum with Black Highlight Trim, Black Leatherette w/Red Highlight, Dynamic Handling Package, Tech Package, Sport Transmission w/ Paddle Shifter, Rearview Camera, Park Distance Control, Htd Front Seats & HK Audio.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:44 AM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Mein Auto: F30 335i MSpt- Mus GT 5.0
Nice report. Nice looking car. The Mineral Gray/Coral Red color combo is on the top of my list for color possibilities. This combination is definitely quite stunning. My wife is pushing hard for the Melbourne Red/Dakota Black combo. We'll see what will happen when we order in January. Either way, I think we have a winner.

Many happy miles and smiles in the new bimmer!

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut
Pkgs-Prem/ DHP/ Tech/ DA/DA+ Opts- 8Sprt AT/ Htd FS/ HK/ Hi Bm Asst/ 403 19" w/perf

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
Old 07-19-2012, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328d MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwf30 View Post
Great review and congrats. More pics please
Pictures added I am not a photographer so they are a mix of point-and-shoot camera and iPhone so be kind...ha!

2014 328d M-Sport ED: 5/2/2014
2013 F30 Activehybrid3 MSport (Gone)
2012 F30 328i Sportline (Gone)
Old 07-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Bimmer's since 2000

Mein Auto: 2012 328i Sport Sedan
Hello Arktctr !

Thanks. Great review. Though I do not have the variable steering, I also find the steering to be responsive, and connected... And am very happy. I love my mineral grey with the everest interior. The car is amazing... In every detail of design, and engineering... And the way it performs! But I only have 800 miles on her and am anxious for this weekend to push her over the 1000 mark. Then i will take for a real ride.

My only issue... The back up cameras auto defaults to surround view... and I have to constantly change to rear view. This may require a visit to the dealer, or some creative coding. (I will create a new post to address this issue).

Otherwise No Complaints... I love this car!

2012 328i Sport - since 7/3/12
2001 330i - Retired (miss her)
Old 07-19-2012, 05:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Melbourne Red 335i
Thumbs up Like Wife's Choice +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsbuc View Post
Nice report. Nice looking car. The Mineral Gray/Coral Red color combo is on the top of my list for color possibilities. This combination is definitely quite stunning. My wife is pushing hard for the Melbourne Red/Dakota Black combo. We'll see what will happen when we order in January. Either way, I think we have a winner.

Many happy miles and smiles in the new bimmer!
We like your wife's color combination. That is ours too. Should be finished Friday July 20th. Good luck to your Bucs !! You will love Vincent Jackson!! Great Receiver, My Bolts will miss his TD's !!
June 9,2012 New Order. 2013 335i Sedan, Melbourne Red Metallic Sport Line, Brushed Aluminum, Leather Dakota Black/Red Highlight, 19" Wheels, Premium Package, Dynamic Handling Package, Technology Package, Sport Transmission with Paddles, Htd Front Seats & Harmon Kardon Performance Center Delivery October 9, 2012. BMWCCA Member since April 2006.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Mein Auto: F30 335i MSpt- Mus GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD330i View Post
We like your wife's color combination. That is ours too. Should be finished Friday July 20th. Good luck to your Bucs !! You will love Vincent Jackson!! Great Receiver, My Bolts will miss his TD's !!
I flip from day to day, hour to hour as to what color I like. The Melbourne looks really sharp, and I've got no problem with that choice at all.

Btw, I was in San Diego, nearly 10 years ago now, when the Bucs beat the Raiders in the SB. The people of San Diego were great hosts, and from what I remember most of them were very happy to see Oakland lose. I made a road trip of it, and as I entered the city, with my Buccaneer tag on the back of the car, and "San Diego or Bust" painted onto the back window, a SD motorcycle cop pulled up next to my window with his thumb jerked upward. I thought he was pulling me over until he opened up the throttle and pulled away. I realized that he was giving me a , "Go Bucs!" Pretty cool! San Diego is a gorgeous, gorgeous city. You are living in paradise!

I hope Jackson is as successful here as he apparently was there. These days we need all the help we can get. Good luck to your Bolts this year too!

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut
Pkgs-Prem/ DHP/ Tech/ DA/DA+ Opts- 8Sprt AT/ Htd FS/ HK/ Hi Bm Asst/ 403 19" w/perf

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
Old 07-20-2012, 10:25 AM
Officially Weird

Mein Auto: Clownshoe,Miata,WeeStrom
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsbuc View Post
Btw, I was in San Diego, nearly 10 years ago now, when the Bucs beat the Raiders in the SB. The people of San Diego were great hosts, and from what I remember most of them were very happy to see Oakland lose. I made a road trip of it, and as I entered the city, with my Buccaneer tag on the back of the car, and "San Diego or Bust" painted onto the back window, a SD motorcycle cop pulled up next to my window with his thumb jerked upward. I thought he was pulling me over until he opened up the throttle and pulled away. I realized that he was giving me a , "Go Bucs!" Pretty cool! San Diego is a gorgeous, gorgeous city. You are living in paradise!
Great story! Like anywhere else, people bitch about the cops, but my experience has been CA has the best, they tend not to hassle you about stupid things.