Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X6 35i
Ordered my GT!

I've been reading this forum for quite some time, but finally decided to post with some good news...I ordered a 535xi GT on Saturday!

I'm in an X6 right now, so I'm already used to the general style of the car. Personally, I love it! I had been looking at a 535xi sedan, but the dealer had a GT in stock and suggested I test drive. I immediately loved it! IMO, the feel is much more refined than the X6 and the interior is miles ahead.

Reading all of your positive comments about the GT only made my decision easier! But now I face the hard part...the waiting game.

2013 535i GT xDrive
Dark Graphite Metallic II
Black Dakota Leather
Dark Wood Trim

Cold Weather Package
Luxury Seating Package
M Sport Package (style 302 wheels)
Premium Package
Value Package

Rear view camera
Rear side window shades
Premium hi-fi
Ads by Google
Old 06-11-2012, 04:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
I'm sure you'll like it...the wait is the worst part.

If you can swing it, had you considered having it shipped to the Performance Center in SC and taking delivery there? It doesn't cost you anything. They give you a night in the hotel and meals, a factory tour, a vehicle intro, and a few hours driving a similar (not yours) on the track which is a neat treat. All at no extra cost to you. Course, you have to get there and back.

It might delay delivery a little, but may not. The dealer needs to put you in for a time slot - the sooner you do it, the more likely you'll get the time you want.

I did that on mine after first picking it up in Munich, but any car you order is eligible for this.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Paint polishing expert

Mein Auto: 2011 335is
Congrats!

5K miles here and many smiles.

Bryan Burnworth

Mine-2011 335is SGM

Hers-12 535i GT DSMB/Cinnamon Welt 1/31/2012

Kelleners Hamburg Graphite Silver Metallic 19x8.5/9.5 Michelin PS A/S+ Gloss to the max by me.

99 740il-sold 52k-157k
94 540ia-sold 98k-155k
93 740il-sold 92k-147k
Old 06-11-2012, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 coupe M-Sport
Congratz man I envy your 2013 =p

you get the swing tailgate..... I wanted that so bad lol....

I just got mine yesterday and I'm loving it....

2012 535i GT (my family car)
2011 328i Coupe (my everyday driving car)
2006 Infiniti G35 (sold 2011)
2000 325i sedan (sold 2006)
1998 Toyota 4 Runner (sold at 2002)
1997 VW Beetles (had to buy another car to drive around
Because too many ticket driving the supra) sold at 2008
1997 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo (sold at 2000)
1994 Toyota Camry (first car)
Old 06-12-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
I'm sure you'll like it...the wait is the worst part.

If you can swing it, had you considered having it shipped to the Performance Center in SC and taking delivery there? It doesn't cost you anything. They give you a night in the hotel and meals, a factory tour, a vehicle intro, and a few hours driving a similar (not yours) on the track which is a neat treat. All at no extra cost to you. Course, you have to get there and back.

It might delay delivery a little, but may not. The dealer needs to put you in for a time slot - the sooner you do it, the more likely you'll get the time you want.

I did that on mine after first picking it up in Munich, but any car you order is eligible for this.
I would love to do delivery in SC, but my schedule around the time of delivery (hopefully mid/late August) just doesn't allow for it. I have sworn to myself that next time I will do Euro delivery, though!
Old 06-12-2012, 11:39 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i GT
Love your color combo (got it my self) :thumb up:

You will love it and it does not show dirt near as much as black.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0503.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	328946   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0513.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	328947  
Old 06-12-2012, 12:57 PM

FWIW, at least for now, you can do both the European delivery AND redelivery at the Performance Center...That's what I did last year.

Obviously, you can't do European devliery on something that is made here (like any of the X-series), but most anything else is a possibility.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:40 PM
What's Not to Love??

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi GT MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdfdolan View Post
I've been reading this forum for quite some time, but finally decided to post with some good news...I ordered a 535xi GT on Saturday!

I'm in an X6 right now, so I'm already used to the general style of the car. Personally, I love it! I had been looking at a 535xi sedan, but the dealer had a GT in stock and suggested I test drive. I immediately loved it! IMO, the feel is much more refined than the X6 and the interior is miles ahead.

Reading all of your positive comments about the GT only made my decision easier! But now I face the hard part...the waiting game.

2013 535i GT xDrive
Dark Graphite Metallic II
Black Dakota Leather
Dark Wood Trim

Cold Weather Package
Luxury Seating Package
M Sport Package (style 302 wheels)
Premium Package
Value Package

Rear view camera
Rear side window shades
Premium hi-fi
Congratulations mwdfdolan! Sounds like a SWEET build.

If you use high beams ever, please consider adding Automatic High Beams. It's not much money for a VERY convenient feature. The car's sensors are so much better than me at turning the high beams off with an oncoming car and then immediately turning them back on. If you find yourself on dark curvy roads, the Automatic High Beams take the hassle out of having to adjust the headlights. It's a GREAT feature.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 09 X5 4.8
Congrats and welcome to one of the smaller BMW families.....
you will enjoy and it is worth the wait....
mp

2012 GT 550ix Msport (feb12)(ok early march 12)
09 X5 4.8
12 X3 35i (the wife)
09 C4S
61 356 roadster
Old 06-14-2012, 07:59 AM

mwd,
there are a few things i/many here think you should look at and consider for your build..

I know i absolutely love the following three additions and would never want my car without them.. a few additional dollars but in the big picture...wtf.

HUD, absolutely love this in this car and the fact that you can find yourself up over 90 in the blink of an eye and not even realize it.. its great to have all your info up in front of you..

Top view cameras.. this is a much bigger car then many realize or are used to and with Msport and low profile tires those rims easily say hello to curbs...top view gives you such a great perspective of your car..

Ceramic controls, 80% a cosmetic call out...the ceramic controls look so much better then the silver aluminum... but also defiantly has a much different hand feel... even my daughters get in my car and when paling with the stereo always comment how much better my car controls feel over my wife's....

just my two cents...

i actually had almost exact build as you except for color when i ordered and then the week before my build date added the camera package and the HUD.

mp

09 X5 4.8
12 X3 35i (the wife)
09 C4S
61 356 roadster
Old 06-14-2012, 09:13 AM

HUD is already included as a freebie in the Value Package for 2013 (as are nav and apps)

I initially had the ceramic controls thrown in there without having seen them. I saw them on the lot, and they do look better...but for me it's just not a big enough "upgrade" for $650. I have the standard aluminum in my X6 and I get by just fine!

I will definitely think about the side/top view cameras. I would have to add the Driver Assistance Package which also comes with blind spot detection. Any opinions on that?

2010 X6 35i
2013 535xi GT (on order)
Old 06-14-2012, 11:11 AM

hmmmm
hadn't looked at the most updated build packages...
awesome that nav and hud are now in there..

Just looked at the bmwusa website build your own....

side and top view cameras are not in the drivers assist package they are an $800 option on ht options page..

I really am glad i have it and use top view 90% of the time incredible how clear and precise view it gives you of your whole car and whats around you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

note the amount of exclamation points...
as ar as driver assist pkg...

im not a big fan of cruise control in general, i really don't want my car shaking every time i change lanes without a blinker.... knowing me id likely sea the thing out in a few months...i use blinkers in traffic rarely else other then turns......

i totally understand the ceramic controls thoughts... still real glad i chose them...

mp

09 X5 4.8
12 X3 35i (the wife)
09 C4S
61 356 roadster
Old 06-14-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpress View Post
Just looked at the bmwusa website build your own....

side and top view cameras are not in the drivers assist package they are an $800 option on ht options page..
BYO still hasn't been updated for MY2013. (Which I don't really understand, considering the pricing guide was released almost a month ago ) Side/top view are no longer available as a stand alone option...they can only be had in the Driver Assist Package which is now $1500 and includes all the cameras and blind spot. If I could get them stand alone, I would do it in a heartbeat. But I can't, and I would have to pay for something that I don't even know if I would use. That's my main hesitation.

2010 X6 35i
2013 535xi GT (on order)
Old 06-14-2012, 12:59 PM
What's Not to Love??

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi GT MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdfdolan View Post
HUD is already included as a freebie in the Value Package for 2013 (as are nav and apps)

I initially had the ceramic controls thrown in there without having seen them. I saw them on the lot, and they do look better...but for me it's just not a big enough "upgrade" for $650. I have the standard aluminum in my X6 and I get by just fine!

I will definitely think about the side/top view cameras. I would have to add the Driver Assistance Package which also comes with blind spot detection. Any opinions on that?
I find the blind sport detection mostly useless, but that's just me. It's not sensitive enough. I drive in traffic, as many people do, and the steering wheel vibrates when you have sufficient room to switch lanes. I tried it out for a while and found myself second guessing myself - is there a car in my blind spot, what car is this steering wheel vibrating about - that kind of thing. I came to the conclusion that it's more of a distraction for me than a help.

I would guess it's a hard thing to perfect. The distance away at which it vibrates may be appropriate if the "blind spot" car is coming up really fast in the next lane, but I'm usually one of the fastest on the road, so it's vibrating when the car is too far away.

The lane departure is equally useless to me, but again, that's just me. I think it really depends on your driving style.

But DO try to add the Automatic High Beams. Big value there.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:56 PM

Double-check with the dealer...some options are only available on a build-to-order car - i.e., they can't be ordered by the dealer for stock, only for an existing customer. I think they call these type 1 options. So, breaking out certain things might be available. It's not like they don't already do this since in their home market, almost everything is a la carte (but packages often save money if you want many of the package components).

Then, you have one of my bugaboos...you get to pay twice for some things, like the comfort seats which include heat, then the cold weather package, which includes heated seats (among other things). No discount for a package that already contains the heat for the front...
Old 07-04-2012, 08:24 AM

Quick update...called the 800 number today and the car finally went into production. Scheduled for completion July 12!

2010 X6 35i
2013 535xi GT (on order)
Old 07-19-2012, 10:18 PM

Mein Auto: E90
Nice! Hopefully you should have gotten your car by now man. I am waiting to test drive the GT on saturday and will go from there.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:56 AM

Actually, I don't have it yet, but it is finally on a ship!

2010 X6 35i
2013 535xi GT (on order)
Old 07-21-2012, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: E90
GT steering

Cool! so I test drove the GT (550i xdrive) today, just have few questions for you.

My E90 has hydraulic steering and I love it, but I guess the GT has electronic steering as I felt continuous change in steering feedback to a level that it felt artificial. Is that usual? The sales man told me all BMW now come with electronic steering excluding the M models.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:05 PM

As far as I know, all xDrive models still come with hydraulic steering. That's why you can't get the parking assistant on any xDrive cars.

2010 X6 35i
2013 535xi GT (on order)