Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

Old 12-04-2011, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: bmw
thigh support not working

i just noticed that my thigh support is no longer working, the motor makes a sound when I press the button, but no movement. I can easily move the support manually... is the motor gone, or is it an engagement issue?
Ads by Google
Old 12-05-2011, 04:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 M5 6sp
Seems to be a common issue. Mine did the same, replaced under warranty. I didn't look to see if they put a new motor in or just reconnected something. Seems to me that if the motor turns thats an engagement issue.

Gone but not forgotten
2004 545i steptronic - Titanium Gray - Sport Package
2003 Z4 2.5i manual - Sterling Gray - Sport Package, Premium Package
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD
1996 Mercedes C220 Classic
1996 VW T3 Caravelle 2.6i
1995 VW Jetta III CLX
1989 VW Jetta II CLI exec
1961 Auto Union (DKW) 1000S (inherited from grandmother)
Old 12-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 ///M5
We have the same issue on both of them. They immediately went out in one month after the 4 year warranty expired in October 2011, one by one. Talk about timing. No goodwill, no nothing by BMW corporate. BMW wanted $14XX.XX to replace both the motors; however, I think itís only an engagement issue because the motor turns.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto: E60 m5
M5 e60

There's nothing wrong with the motor!!! Had the same problem with mine, it sounded like a loose or, disconnected component, decided to fix it my self. I Removed the seat, and dismantled the affected area in order to gain access to the mechanism, and then dismantled the mechanism to get to the small powerful motor. The problem lies within the motor housing, which consists of the motor, a tiny metal rod, and a few plastic bit's & bobs...
The problem was very obvious, on the motor arm there's a round plastic "wheel like" part which has teeth that turn another similar small round toothed plastic ring, bonded on the small metal rod. One of these plastic toothed ring type part has cracked and become loose, therefor stopping the mechanical process to be complete.
Super glue at a cost of 99p, plus chemical metal £2.99p, patience and, the will to do it your self got the job done!!!!!

That said, I regret ever buying an M5 E60. I'v had it for 2 years now, off road with issues most of the time!!!! PROBLEM AFTER PROBLEM, A NEVER ENDING STORY, STAY WELL AWAY...........
Old 01-13-2012, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: 525I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerthirst View Post
There's nothing wrong with the motor!!! Had the same problem with mine, it sounded like a loose or, disconnected component, decided to fix it my self. I Removed the seat, and dismantled the affected area in order to gain access to the mechanism, and then dismantled the mechanism to get to the small powerful motor. The problem lies within the motor housing, which consists of the motor, a tiny metal rod, and a few plastic bit's & bobs...
The problem was very obvious, on the motor arm there's a round plastic "wheel like" part which has teeth that turn another similar small round toothed plastic ring, bonded on the small metal rod. One of these plastic toothed ring type part has cracked and become loose, therefor stopping the mechanical process to be complete.
Super glue at a cost of 99p, plus chemical metal £2.99p, patience and, the will to do it your self got the job done!!!!!

That said, I regret ever buying an M5 E60. I'v had it for 2 years now, off road with issues most of the time!!!! PROBLEM AFTER PROBLEM, A NEVER ENDING STORY, STAY WELL AWAY...........

i like to read stuff like this because I would never have the balls to try something like this!
I would end up with 10 more problems on top of the original problem.

What other issues did you have with your M

thanks
Old 01-13-2012, 02:31 PM

Well, where shall I start.... Fuel actuator at first, which was replaced, but problem persisted. Then the air sensor, which fixed the problem for about a week. Then the fuel filter decided to crack, causing fuel pressure lose. Then the fuel pump failed, 'how wonderful.' All these issues bestowed limp mode upon my M5.
Let's not forget, a new battery, a few sliced tyres, and 'oh', my diff's leaking..... Did I forget to mention, I now have a voltage discharge warning!!!!

Should of bought a Nissan sunny........
Old 01-17-2012, 05:11 AM

Mein Auto: 525I
Did you buy it used? if new, how long after did some of these issues start?

Sorry to hear, but Honda would have been the better choice! LOL or even a VW

cheers mate
Old 01-18-2012, 09:06 AM

2006 model, 50000 miles!!!

I forgot to mention, just replaced the clutch!!!!

Buy the car, then spend, spend, spend......
Old 07-23-2012, 05:50 AM

Mein Auto: new york
@powerthirst, Did you have to completely remove the seat? Or was able to access as is?