Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

View Poll Results: Would you buy a(n)...
X1 13 68.42%
Q3 3 15.79%
Neither 3 15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-17-2012, 04:46 PM
UbokiaBrian UbokiaBrian is offline
Past Sponsor
Location: SF Bay Area, California
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: Open wheeled and fast!
BMW X1 vs Audi Q3

I am sure this will end up going down in a one-sided debate, but what do you expect out of the X1 and what do you expect out of the Q3? Does the Q3 have a chance at stacking up against the X1?

I want to know what you guys think about each ride in these categories:

- Design

- Performance

- Price (worth it?)

- Options

- Your overall excitement

Give each (the X1 and Q3) a score of 1 - 10 in each category. 50 point potential total.



BMW X1
- Design: 8
- Performance: 7
- Price: 6
- Options: 9
- Excitement: 5

**TOTAL** 35 points

Audi Q3
- Design: 9
- Performance: 6 (base model) 9 (RS model)
- Price: 6
- Options: 7
- Excitement: 7

**TOTAL** 35 points (38 RS performance)


What are your opinions???




Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 04-18-2012, 07:56 AM
kyfdx's Avatar
kyfdx kyfdx is offline
Who, me?
Location: Kentucky
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,470
Mein Auto: 2006 330Ci ZHP
I want another choice....

How about***********: Either
__________________
2006 330Ci ZHP Imola Red
2011 X3 Bluewater
1995 M3 Montreal Blue
1987 325iS Bronzit (retired)
2011 Z4 Space Gray (retired)
2008 X3 Sapphire Black (retired)
2005 330Cic Silver-Gray (retired)
2003 325i Sport Steel Blue (retired)
1967 2000CS Delphin Gray (retired)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-18-2012, 08:15 AM
UbokiaBrian UbokiaBrian is offline
Past Sponsor
Location: SF Bay Area, California
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: Open wheeled and fast!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyfdx View Post
I want another choice....

How about***********: Either
I can't add it to the poll, but you're right. I should have put that as an option too. The more I have been looking at the Q3, the less I like how it looks. The RS Q3 would be the only one I would consider.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-18-2012, 12:07 PM
iamthewalrus iamthewalrus is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 863
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual)
They're both automatic only, so "Neither".
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-18-2012, 04:44 PM
sd330Ci's Avatar
sd330Ci sd330Ci is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ, USA
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 162
Mein Auto: BMW 1M, MINI Countryman S
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
They're both automatic only, so "Neither".
Same here
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-20-2012, 10:42 AM
AutoUnion's Avatar
AutoUnion AutoUnion is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: East Coast
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,182
Mein Auto: German
Audi because they don't **** around like BMW and will probably bring a diesel over
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-22-2012, 05:45 PM
AzNMpower32's Avatar
AzNMpower32 AzNMpower32 is offline
Tar Heel Faithful
Location: WNC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,996
Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Audi because they don't **** around like BMW and will probably bring a diesel over
+1. I care greatly about fuel consumption, emissions, and driving joy. Efficiency is something that's enjoyable ALL the time, driving joy probably 15% of the time when I can actually find a safe, fun road to flog my cars on.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-25-2012, 11:11 PM
SilverX3's Avatar
SilverX3 SilverX3 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Australia
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,192
Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Just test drove the 2 litre Diesel at lunchtime .... with sport pack and GPS + sunroof.... something is not right, noisy engine and Interior Quality is not good
__________________
Residence - StarTrek Enterprise
Job - Captain
Current Starship Fleet:
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-05-2012, 04:00 AM
Evlengr's Avatar
Evlengr Evlengr is offline
Ukemi - that's how I roll
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,252
Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Audi Q3 for multiple reasons:

Real Tires, not RFT's

Better interior layout

Able to make performance enhancements and not just bolt on pretty stuff

And........if they actually bring the RS-Q3 here (it is being made) lots, and lots, and lots of power.

RFTs, these are not the hassle free thing that people are led to believe. And you can adjust the suspension all you want. They still run harder than standard tires.

Have not heard many good things about the interior for the X1. Neither layout or materials are getting positive reports.

No one makes any real performance enhancements for BMW's X1 or X3. Just bolt on cosmetic stuff. That is nice, but being able to improve performance down the road can breath new life and fun factor later in car's life.

Any reason you closed the poll?
__________________
2013 S4 Loaded (and NO RFT's) Awesome is an understatement
2008 MT X3 RIP you were a faithful sidekick and will be missed.
2007 AT X3 RIPOS
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-05-2012, 08:44 PM
BMWfanatic87's Avatar
BMWfanatic87 BMWfanatic87 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Raleigh
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 430
Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 428i M-Coupe
I would think the Q1 would go up against the X1, and the Q3 against the X3
__________________
2012 BMW X5 35d ~~ Black Sapphire Metallic ~~ Nevada Cinnamon Brown ~ Multi-contour seats ~ Dark Bamboo wood trim ~~ Sport Activity w/ 20" 214 RF ~~ Premium ~~ BMW apps ~~ Smartphone Integration ~~

2014 BMW 428i ~~ Black Sapphire Metallic ~~ Black Dakota ~ Dark Burl Walnut ~~ M Sport Package w/ 18" 441M RF ~~ Manual Transmission ~~ Premium Package ~~ Heated Front Seats ~~ Navigation w/ Touchpad ~~ Auto High Beams



Previous Models:

2011 BMW Z4 30i
2009 BMW 328i E92
2005 BMW X3 2.5i

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-05-2012, 09:29 PM
kjboyd's Avatar
kjboyd kjboyd is online now
Drink the koolaid or else
Location: California
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,102
Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
Q1 is a small small suv

Q3-X1
Q5-X3
Q7-X5
__________________
Kevin


-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Teleskier Teleskier is offline
Registered User
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 89
Mein Auto: E84, VW TDI, E36
It's ironic timing - I was just watching a video comparing the two.

The Q3 and X1 are natural competitors. Having seen neither in person yet, I would guess:

Q3:
Likely Good:
  • probably will bring manual to US
  • probably will bring proven TDI to US
  • will have better interior w/o cheap X1 plastic sounds
  • will be unique as the less commonly seen car in US
Likely Bad:
  • less fun to drive than X1
  • it's shape looks almost American-clunky to me, like a GM or Chrysler crossover

I'd want a X3 except I also want European-built and ED - so right now what's competing in my head is the ED Q5 vs the ED X1. The Q3 looks to be just that crucial little bit too small, whereas I go back and forth on X1 (some angles look big enough, other times I worry that it *LOOKS* VW Golf or college-car sized.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-08-2012, 09:21 AM
investor27 investor27 is offline
Registered User
Location: US
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 90
Mein Auto: Camero GT
The interior design of the X1 has been updated for the US to replace those hard plastic pieces with softer ones.

X1 for me. Just ordered on last week.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-09-2012, 06:58 AM
AutoUnion's Avatar
AutoUnion AutoUnion is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: East Coast
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,182
Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfanatic87 View Post
I would think the Q1 would go up against the X1, and the Q3 against the X3
Nope, the numbers don't match up.

X1 vs Q3
X3 vs Q5
X5 vs Q7
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-09-2012, 11:01 AM
X3 Skier's Avatar
X3 Skier X3 Skier is offline
Powder Days
Location: Ohio and Colorado
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,949
Mein Auto: 2005 X3 2.5i (ED 2004)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
They're both automatic only, so "Neither".

+1

Cheers
__________________
Just Some Consultant

"I never understood the dread term "terminal illness" until I saw Heathrow for myself." Dennis Hopper
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-23-2012, 01:54 AM
X1blue X1blue is offline
Registered User
Location: Spain
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 49
Mein Auto: X1 sdrive 18d
Have driven both and recently took delivery of an X1.

The X1 interior (with the cool design package) and the sunroof are much better than in the Q3. The X1 has a physical for the sunroof which reduces heat gain considerably. The Q3 just has a curtain.

But Audi wins out on mechanics. First, the ride. The X1 is really hard and on longer journeys is making us feel slightly sea-sick on motorways I drive regularly.

Stability, the hard ride makes the car bounce a bit a >90km and you have to work a bit against head windor side wind from passing cars/ trucks.

There is definitely more cabin noise on the X1 even with the 2500 euro interior upgrade.

Steering, I had no idea about this until now but BMW uses mechanical steering and Audi electro-mechanical. Result is that the X1 has a really heavy feel and can be tiring to drive for more than a few hrs. My wife definitely does not appreciate the weigh training. There is also a slight vibration on the wheel when the car is moving or stationary whenever the car is in gear, the vibration disappears when the car is in neutral, even on the motorway.

Transmission. Both have start/stop but the X1 has a mechanical system which transmits all of the engine kick back at start through the gear stick (and peddles) to the driver. So when you push the clutch and reach for the gear stick, your hand arrives just in time for a punishing vibration. You have to push the clutch and wait a second or two before touching the gear stick. On the Audi Q3, there is no vibration on the gear stick whatsoever, you push the clutch and put the car in gear and the engine has started and is really to pull.

This is our first (and last) BMW, and we are sadly disappointed by the quality of the mechanics. I drive a lot of rentals for work, no BMW of course, but the X1 is by far the worst car I have ever driven. The last rental was an Audi A1 and the ride was twice as good as the X1 which costs twice as much.

Last edited by X1blue; 07-23-2012 at 01:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-23-2012, 02:38 AM
Evlengr's Avatar
Evlengr Evlengr is offline
Ukemi - that's how I roll
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,252
Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by X1blue View Post
Have driven both and recently took delivery of an X1.

The X1 interior (with the cool design package) and the sunroof are much better than in the Q3. The X1 has a physical for the sunroof which reduces heat gain considerably. The Q3 just has a curtain.

But Audi wins out on mechanics. First, the ride. The X1 is really hard and on longer journeys is making us feel slightly sea-sick on motorways I drive regularly.

Stability, the hard ride makes the car bounce a bit a >90km and you have to work a bit against head windor side wind from passing cars/ trucks.

There is definitely more cabin noise on the X1 even with the 2500 euro interior upgrade.

Steering, I had no idea about this until now but BMW uses mechanical steering and Audi electro-mechanical. Result is that the X1 has a really heavy feel and can be tiring to drive for more than a few hrs. My wife definitely does not appreciate the weigh training. There is also a slight vibration on the wheel when the car is moving or stationary whenever the car is in gear, the vibration disappears when the car is in neutral, even on the motorway.

Transmission. Both have start/stop but the X1 has a mechanical system which transmits all of the engine kick back at start through the gear stick (and peddles) to the driver. So when you push the clutch and reach for the gear stick, your hand arrives just in time for a punishing vibration. You have to push the clutch and wait a second or two before touching the gear stick. On the Audi Q3, there is no vibration on the gear stick whatsoever, you push the clutch and put the car in gear and the engine has started and is really to pull.

This is our first (and last) BMW, and we are sadly disappointed by the quality of the mechanics. I drive a lot of rentals for work, no BMW of course, but the X1 is by far the worst car I have ever driven. The last rental was an Audi A1 and the ride was twice as good as the X1 which costs twice as much.
I'm confused. If you have driven both and seemed to like the Q3, why did you get the X1? I would hate to get a car that rode like that. Just goes to show that BMW is losing touch with the public again. You'll notice that after two BMW's I have elected to go to an Audi.
__________________
2013 S4 Loaded (and NO RFT's) Awesome is an understatement
2008 MT X3 RIP you were a faithful sidekick and will be missed.
2007 AT X3 RIPOS
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-23-2012, 11:39 PM
X1blue X1blue is offline
Registered User
Location: Spain
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 49
Mein Auto: X1 sdrive 18d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
I'm confused. If you have driven both and seemed to like the Q3, why did you get the X1? I would hate to get a car that rode like that. Just goes to show that BMW is losing touch with the public again. You'll notice that after two BMW's I have elected to go to an Audi.
Quite! Our original decision was mostly based on aesthetics, the X1 has a more luxurious finish but price was also a factor as the X1 works out a lot cheaper than the Q3 with the same options. Unfortunately, we assumed mechanically they would be similar quality, both being premium brands (we eliminated Mercedes GLK/ ML and Volvo XC60 on looks)

After ordering the X1, I ended up renting a couple of Audi and on receiving the X1 we began noting the differences detailed here.

It's one thing to test driving a car for 30-60mins, quite another to have for a week or so.

Well, the X1 goes back today lets see what BMW can do with it. I'm in no hurry to get it back..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms