Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:54 AM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
Maybe I read it wrong. Doesn't matter to me, I'd never use that feature anyway. Really wish the '13s didn't have dimming mirrors as I do not look forward to putting up with that worthless junk for 3 years.
Are the BMW auto-dimming rear view mirrors bad? Haven't had them yet, wondering why you made the comment as I haven't read any complaints to this point.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 07-23-2012, 05:31 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Are the BMW auto-dimming rear view mirrors bad? Haven't had them yet, wondering why you made the comment as I haven't read any complaints to this point.
BJ
The problem with the auto dimming mirrors in the E9x was that there was no way to turn the feature off. I don't know if that was rectified in the F30.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 07-23-2012, 05:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
The problem with the auto dimming mirrors in the E9x was that there was no way to turn the feature off. I don't know if that was rectified in the F30.

CA
why would you want it off though? i've never had this feature before and it is amazing. what is the complaints besides not being able to turn it off?
Old 07-23-2012, 05:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:

BJ
People with tints don't like that you can't turn them off. I had them on my previous e90 and they were fine.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
People with tints don't like that you can't turn them off. I had them on my previous e90 and they were fine.
i have tint and it seems fine to me.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:48 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl0328 View Post
why would you want it off though? i've never had this feature before and it is amazing. what is the complaints besides not being able to turn it off?
I find that sometimes when I am driving in the city I don't want the mirrors to dim. I rigged up a device to turn off the auto dimming and use it frequently.

I do not have tinted windows.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 07-23-2012, 07:09 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:

BJ
Don't like dimming mirrors inside or out on any car. They only serve to obfuscate what's behind me. Sadly BMW's system does not appear to have an off/on switch like some brands. Nothing worse, to me, than glancing at a mirror and the cars behind me appear to be in a haze when it's a clear night. Never been able to figure out the purpose of dimming mirrors beyond making it impossible to spot the headlight patterns of specific makes/silhouette details of cars.

Oh and never tint my windows. No need in San Diego.

Last edited by brkf; 07-23-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:04 AM
I probably dislike you...

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Sport
I am actually on the opposite side of the scale. Given the number of SUVs, etc on the road I find myself blinded, particularly my side view mirrors, by bright headlights which make it difficult to see details anyway.

My current car has an auto dimming rear view mirror, and honestly I find I can see detail just fine
2002 325xi (Retired, very much missed)
Old 07-23-2012, 09:06 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
I also have an auto dimming mirror function on my current ride and it has never been a problem. Even with tinted window my night time visibility is just fine.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl0328 View Post
i have tint and it seems fine to me.
I think it's that they find the view through the mirror too dark when dimmed and through a tint. All I know is some people would like the option to turn the auto dim off which is not an option on the E90.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: E92 M3/E90 335i xDrive
I have max legal tint and I'm OK with autodimming.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: 328i / EK Civic
My dealer just said they are standard on the 2013 328i. even more confused now.. any one here without prem package that can put my mind at ease?

Thanks
Old 07-23-2012, 12:39 PM

Mein Auto: '13 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by samualcc View Post
I am actually on the opposite side of the scale. Given the number of SUVs, etc on the road I find myself blinded, particularly my side view mirrors, by bright headlights which make it difficult to see details anyway.

My current car has an auto dimming rear view mirror, and honestly I find I can see detail just fine
Agree 100%. I also have an auto dimming rear view on my current car and it works great, wished that I was able to get this feature on the side mirrors. Now, with the F30, I can.

Although, it would be nice to be able to turn it off. The driver should have the last word on this.

Last edited by jlukja; 07-23-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:32 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
I'm in the have tinted windows and like my auto-dimming mirrors camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3kidd View Post
My dealer just said they are standard on the 2013 328i. even more confused now.. any one here without prem package that can put my mind at ease?

Thanks
Power adjustable, auto-dimming mirrors are now standard. Power folding mirrors are not.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 07-24-2012, 07:26 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
What advantage are people seeing from auto dim mirrors? This is what I can't fathom. How is it a benefit for cars behind you to be less clear?
Old 07-24-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
What advantage are people seeing from auto dim mirrors? This is what I can't fathom. How is it a benefit for cars behind you to be less clear?
it's not less clear. i can see them fine. it just makes the headlights less glare-y so i can see better and i'm not blinded while driving.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:49 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
The benefit is that you don't get a dazzling level of brightness from a truck or SUV whose lights shine directly into your mirror.

Reaching up to flip a manual dim switch is fine, but won't do anything for the side mirrors, which can also glare/dazzle pretty badly at the right approach angle.

In the bad old days I would reach up and manually turn the mirror away, and manually adjust my side mirrors if a truck was following me for a long distance and was blinding me.

with the auto dimming mirrors I have never had to do that on my current car.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:45 AM

Mein Auto: 328i / EK Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
I'm in the have tinted windows and like my auto-dimming mirrors camp.

Power adjustable, auto-dimming mirrors are now standard. Power folding mirrors are not.
Great.. now I have to think if the prem package is worth it.. just for folding mirrors.. might not be. I'm fine with the leatherette and already ordering the moonroof.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:53 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3kidd View Post
Great.. now I have to think if the prem package is worth it.. just for folding mirrors.. might not be. I'm fine with the leatherette and already ordering the moonroof.
There's very little use for the folding mirrors in the US where the streets are much wider and parking is less of a nightmare than it is in europe/japan where the feature originated.

My understanding is that it is not uncommon for people to get their mirrors clipped off while parking on super tight city streets in european countries, hence the desire for the feature.

A more practical feature in the US is the feature where the driver side mirror automatically adjusts when the vehicle is put in reverse to make backing/parking less of a chore.

Last edited by voip-ninja; 07-24-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
There's very little use for the folding mirrors in the US where the streets are much wider and parking is less of a nightmare than it is in europe/japan where the feature originated.

My understanding is that it is not uncommon for people to get their mirrors clipped off while parking on super tight city streets in european countries, hence the desire for the feature.

A more practical feature in the US is the feature where the driver side mirror automatically adjusts when the vehicle is put in reverse to make backing/parking less of a chore.
You've never been to Sherman Oaks (Los Angeles). The older neighborhoods of Los Angeles have european sized streets. I clipped an E39 5 series mirror off once -> good thing I had touch up paint (to hide the ding on my passenger mirror of course).

After that, I've always folded at least my driver mirror when parked.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:26 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxComb View Post
You've never been to Sherman Oaks (Los Angeles). The older neighborhoods of Los Angeles have european sized streets. I clipped an E39 5 series mirror off once -> good thing I had touch up paint (to hide the ding on my passenger mirror of course).

After that, I've always folded at least my driver mirror when parked.
Sure, but streets like that are extremely uncommon in the US as a whole, compared to europe where the streets are so tight that it is very common to see cars parked almost entirely up on sidewalks and it is not uncommon at all for the lanes to be so tight that people have to reverse and back out to let a car coming the opposite way get through.

So maybe .1% of US streets fit the description and something like 25% of European streets do.

Last edited by voip-ninja; 07-24-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:47 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
Passenger side.

Sent from my DROID4 using Bimmer App

N47° 35' 30.13" E11° 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 07-24-2012, 09:51 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
Passenger side.

Sent from my DROID4 using Bimmer App
Weird, I thought on my all day rental it was the driver side. In any event, useful feature, and much more useful for most of us than motorized folding mirrors that we hardly (if ever) need.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:53 AM

Mein Auto: '12 335i
I have power folding mirrors and comfort access, folding the mirrors is part of convenience closing: if I keep my finger on the knob after locking the car mirrors fold in the manner any open window closes. I assume it will work if you keep the lock button depressed on the key fob
Old 07-24-2012, 04:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328d MSport
I would love to find someone in SoCal (Orange County preferrably) who has the ability to code this feature in my F30...

2014 328d M-Sport ED: 5/2/2014
2013 F30 Activehybrid3 MSport (Gone)
2012 F30 328i Sportline (Gone)