Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:39 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X1
X1 full of rattles and noises

Hello, guys

I'm new in this forum. I live in Mexico, in Aguascalientes
Now, this X1 is my third Bimmer. Thing is, I have the impression it has being built down to a price. It's full of RATTLES and SQUEAKS. Drives well, of course, but quality is not what it should be. Anybody having the same problem?
Ads by Google
Old 02-20-2011, 07:34 PM
Be My Wife.

Send a message via MSN to sunstorm
Mein Auto: BMW, only BMW.
what kind of noise? some say the rear diff will cause the noise, some say the front windows cause the noise. but for me, no worry, turn the music a bit louder will kill those noise..

China, X1 18i
Old 02-21-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunstorm View Post
what kind of noise? some say the rear diff will cause the noise, some say the front windows cause the noise. but for me, no worry, turn the music a bit louder will kill those noise..

China, X1 18i
Well, rattles in the front doors, cockpit and back. Not from the rear diff, though. Annoying. Didn't happen in my other Bimmers (328i & 336ci). Music is indeed a solution. But, what if I like a silent environment?
Old 02-21-2011, 09:29 PM
Be My Wife.

Send a message via MSN to sunstorm
Mein Auto: BMW, only BMW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanrevueltas View Post
Well, rattles in the front doors, cockpit and back. Not from the rear diff, though. Annoying. Didn't happen in my other Bimmers (328i & 336ci). Music is indeed a solution. But, what if I like a silent environment?
well, German cars never silent, try BMW 7er or MERC S, or buy a Lexus.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:54 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: X3
Does BMW in Mexico offer a warranty? Clearly if you can duplicate these noises and rattles, it should be covered at little or no charge.

It is true that the X1 is built to keep costs and prices down. I am not familiar with what equipment comes on Mexican-market cars, but the basic trim and equipment in Europe is borderline "economy car".

I do find it interesting that BMW treats Mexico as part of the "International" market as opposed to "North American", evidenced by the 1er hatchback and X1 offerings.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunstorm View Post
well, German cars never silent, try BMW 7er or MERC S, or buy a Lexus.
I'm not saying the car is noisy. At cruising speed the engine is almost silent and road noise is reduced. I'm talking about rattles from the doors and a general feeling that the cabin is not too solid. 7 series and Merc S are another thing altogether. I guess that if you buy a Silver Shadow the problem doesn't exist at all. This is not the point. I'm just speaking about a particular problem with a particular car, that's all.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Does BMW in Mexico offer a warranty? Clearly if you can duplicate these noises and rattles, it should be covered at little or no charge.

It is true that the X1 is built to keep costs and prices down. I am not familiar with what equipment comes on Mexican-market cars, but the basic trim and equipment in Europe is borderline "economy car".

I do find it interesting that BMW treats Mexico as part of the "International" market as opposed to "North American", evidenced by the 1er hatchback and X1 offerings.
I took the car to the dealer. They seemed to do nothing. But they're nice and just told me I should bring it back again. The car comes straight from Germany and it's got navigation, leather seats, a six-cilinder engine (2.5 litter) and plenty of equipment. I guess that you have to buy the other series (3 or 5) to get the usual quality. I had no complaints with my former 3 series
Old 03-03-2011, 08:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
get rid of RFT and noise will disappear
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
BOUGHT : MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i

New car... Estoril Blue Car
Old 04-18-2011, 05:51 AM

Mein Auto: 07 X3 and 335i
Every BMW I have had in the past 4 years rattles, creaks, and squeeks.
07 335 coupe - sold
Old 05-16-2012, 05:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325XI Sport pkg
new plastics, rubber have to settle. it took about 2 years to most squeaks disappear in my XI. Past 6+ years it's almost silent except normal engine, tires road noise, A/C when on full power and so on.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:39 PM
Beem Beem Beemer

Mein Auto: BMW X1 s20D
Wel, the X1 that I bought 6 months back and have done 5k miles do not make any noise and they run on factory fitted RFTs
Old 07-23-2012, 01:26 AM

Mein Auto: X1 sdrive 18d
which model do you have?

We have a brand new Sdrive 18d and no rattles though I am with you on the poor quality parts. the doors close with a cheap sounding clunk, the roof is not fixed tightly and can be pushed in around where the reading lights are fitted.

The car is not very stable above 90km on the road, very hard ride and bounces of the surface with minor bumps. I expect that all the movement will result in rattles a few years down the road..
Old 07-23-2012, 02:55 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by X1blue View Post
which model do you have?

We have a brand new Sdrive 18d and no rattles though I am with you on the poor quality parts. the doors close with a cheap sounding clunk, the roof is not fixed tightly and can be pushed in around where the reading lights are fitted.

The car is not very stable above 90km on the road, very hard ride and bounces of the surface with minor bumps. I expect that all the movement will result in rattles a few years down the road..

That's probably the RFT's. one of the major reasons I dropped BMW from my list. Others say replace the tires. RFT's are like driving on hockey pucks. My wife has them on her MCS.

You replace the tires and the first problem you have the dealer will blame on swapping tires, stating that the BMW is matched to them.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 07-23-2012, 06:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 328xi
according to tire reviews i've read, the 3rd generation RFTs ride better than the previous 2. if the LCI X1s comes fitted with these, maybe there's still hope
Old 07-23-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianDriver View Post
according to tire reviews i've read, the 3rd generation RFTs ride better than the previous 2. if the LCI X1s comes fitted with these, maybe there's still hope

I have ridden (rode?) in the 3'er and X3 with the new RFT's and still can feel the difference between them and conventional tires.

I dont think they have really changed the tires much, but try to compensate with different suspensions.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 07-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: X3
People in the US who buy the X1 expecting it to ride well are going to be disappointed. It'll be reminscent of the first-gen X3. When the X1 came out in 2009, a lot of Europeans disliked the firm ride and even German reviewers said it rode pretty firm.

Honestly I keep saying this, but a VW Tiguan is a better overall car than the X1.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
That's probably the RFT's. one of the major reasons I dropped BMW from my list. Others say replace the tires. RFT's are like driving on hockey pucks. My wife has them on her MCS.

You replace the tires and the first problem you have the dealer will blame on swapping tires, stating that the BMW is matched to them.
Our X1 sdrive was delivered with Michelin 255/50 R17 94H tires, these are not "Zero Pressure" or run-flat. This option must be purchased separately in Spain at least.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
People in the US who buy the X1 expecting it to ride well are going to be disappointed. It'll be reminscent of the first-gen X3. When the X1 came out in 2009, a lot of Europeans disliked the firm ride and even German reviewers said it rode pretty firm.

Honestly I keep saying this, but a VW Tiguan is a better overall car than the X1.
+1. The ride is truly horrible, it makes us feel car sick. After 3hrs on the road this weekend my wife and I felt like we had been on a boat. Kids also scream in the back seats!! They normally love car rides but the vibration, rocking and yawing is something that none of us like.

Haven't tried a Tiguan but the ride is not as good as VW golf, Id even say the Polo gives a smoother ride. Audi A1/ A3/ Q3 /Q5 all better, as is the Volvo XC60.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:03 AM

Bummer,

Never fun finding out the car you thought would behave in one way acts in another. Sorry hope they can figure out something for you.

I almost wrote off BMW permanently when I had non stop problems with my first X3 (13 visits to the shop just on the transmission alone in one year). BMWNA finally gave in and got me an MT since the AT transmission could not be fixed.

Different tires may soften up the bumps, but not handling.

Good Luck
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 07-25-2012, 01:13 PM

Yes, we love the aesthetics, it really is nice inside, its just a dog on the road...

I've never been car sick driving before but the level of vibration in the X1 if the road is a little imperfect is incredible. ANd the pressue that all those bumps puts on the spine is incredible- my wife is getting headaches on the longer journeys (anything more that 1hr..)

We had an initial revision yesterday and have date next week to take the car in. They checked the wheels and the BMW guy said the tire pressure is really critical on this car. It seems as though they know there is a stability problem.

I think the vibrating steering wheel is down to a dislodged support which was passing vibration from the AC to the steering column. It wasn't there at the start but I guess all the rocking and rolling on the road makes the parts move..!!

I think the problem is the suspension, it is extremely hard and this make the car dissipate energy by swaying, rolling. The crazy thing is that BMW told me there is no system to stabilize this SUV, its just got four independent springs (probably from a very hard bed)

We have Michelin Eco tires which are quite soft and help to reduce fuel consumption.