Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 07-23-2012, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW M3
Question E46 M3 Engine Mount Bracket Question

Hi all --

I'm in a bit of a crappy situation. I have a 2002 e46 M3 with 106K miles on it. I hydroplaned, lost control, and went into a ditch. It seemed fine right afterward, but a few days later I started hearing noise from the front o the car. I took it in to an independent mechanic thinking that it was a suspension problem and it turns out that I broke (sheered) 2 engine mount bracket bolts. The bracket itself is fine, not even a crack. There were only 3 bolts total on the driver side bracket even though there are 4 holes-- one was strangely missing and its hole was rusted, as it if had never been there before (which i'm led to believe is not normal, all 4 should be there).

After drilling the thread out for one of the bolts, the mechanic tried to do the same with the 2nd bolt that sheered and the block ear where the thread goes into broke. He says that it was partially rusted as well. So now the most that we can get on with the engine in the car is 3.

My options:
1. Have him get 3 bolted back and drive on. He says that if I race it or stress the car, it will probably break again. (not sure about this!) Upon talking to others, some say that this should be fine even if I track it, since most of the stress is supposedly placed on the passenger bracket. Plus, if the 4th one was never there to begin with, and it was fine up until the accident, shouldn't it be fine afterward? (I only took it to one BMW sponsored autocross school before the hydroplane).
2. Take the engine out and weld the bracket to the engine. (~15 hours of labor and still a band-aide, albeit a hard one
3. Replace the engine. (Fexpensive). How much does a used e46 engine go for? Do they still make new ones?

What do you guys think. Do you think that i'll be fine with 3 bolts on the driver side and 4 on the passenger? Both as a Daily Driver and and doing some tracking with it (I'm relatively new to this).

Basically, what would you do?

I greatly appreciate your feedback. I'm really not sure what to do..
Ads by Google
Old 07-25-2012, 07:54 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
you will be fine with 3 as long as you don't hit anything else.