Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 06-17-2012, 10:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW M3 Coupe
Need help with 2004 M3

Hi,

I recently bought a BMW M3 used with 57k miles on it. When I bought it the guy that sold it to me said that the horns didn't work and the windshield washer didn't either. I got a great deal on the car so I bought it as is thinking it would be an easy fix. I am in Korea and it is very hard to get parts for this car and to find a qualified mechanic.

I learned from this forum that the horns are supposed to be located behind the bumper carrier, mine is aluminum, so I took off the bumper and guess what? No horns! They were not only not working but not even there!

I ordered a set of used horns and am ready to install them as soon as I can find a bracket to mount them with. The horns that I bought used on eBay did not have a mounting bracket. I am considering using plastic tie straps to just mount them to the carrier. Does this seem like it would work and would it last?

Also, I can't seem to locate the harness and connectors for the horn. I found a connector that goes to a temperature sensor? under the car on the driver side and a connector for the fog lights but can't find one for the horns. I did research and found that it was supposed to come out on the drivers side in front by the wheel well or possibly in the bumper carrier? Any ideas and does anyone know the color of the wires for the horns?

Also, the windshield washer fluid filler tube was missing and I bought a replacement but now I cannot find the washer reservoir!! I cannot seem to find out for sure where the washer fluid reservoir mounts to. I read that it mounts in the passenger side front wheel well but have also read that M3 mounts to the carrier?

I am attaching pictures of my 2004 M3 carrier with the bumper cover removed. I don't see any holes drilled in the carrier where a washer bottle could mount. I could really use some help in identifying this car and where the washer reservoir mounts and where the connectors are for the washer and the horn.

Thanks!

Dave

Last edited by dconlee; 06-17-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Advertisement
Old 06-18-2012, 08:54 PM

I guess that I scared people away? Over 80 views of my post and not a single answer to my questions. Is it really possible that none of those 80 people who read this post know nothing about the 2004 M3 washer reservoir or the horns and connectors?
Old 06-18-2012, 09:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 02 525I SPORT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dconlee View Post
I guess that I scared people away? Over 80 views of my post and not a single answer to my questions. Is it really possible that none of those 80 people who read this post know nothing about the 2004 M3 washer reservoir or the horns and connectors?
As I do not own an M3, but you should try using real oem.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:15 PM

Help on M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbonly21 View Post
As I do not own an M3, but you should try using real oem.
Thanks, I have already been to realoem.com and found the part numbers. Unfortunately, it doesn't show me where the parts mount and doesn't show me the connectors and where they should come off of the wiring harness.

I had a mechanic look at it for me and he can't seem to find the connectors for the horns or the washer reservoir pump and leveler. It appears that they were cut off!

Now I can't find the connectors and cannot find the wires that the connectors should have connected to.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:25 AM
HMFIC

Mein Auto: 2002 ///M3
I can't tell from the pics (too small), but does the car have aftermarket angel eyes installed? If so, is there a switch/button inside the car that those are tied to? Perhaps on the steering wheel? Maybe the guy somehow used the horn relay for those?

Not sure why the windshield washer resovior would be missing. Only thing I can think of is the car might have been in a front-end accident and whoever put it back together went the cheap route. Just a guess.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
I can't tell from the pics (too small), but does the car have aftermarket angel eyes installed? If so, is there a switch/button inside the car that those are tied to? Perhaps on the steering wheel? Maybe the guy somehow used the horn relay for those?

Not sure why the windshield washer resovior would be missing. Only thing I can think of is the car might have been in a front-end accident and whoever put it back together went the cheap route. Just a guess.
No angel eyes, just xenon headlights. I found after I bought the car that the front bumper cover is not original. The original paint color (red) is showing through some spots on the bottom where the bumper rubbed on a speed bump.

So I came to the same conclusion that the car was damaged in the front end. And it appears that they did not replace the horns or washer bottle when they fixe it! What idiots! Also, they appear to have just cut the wires for the horns, washer pump, level sensor and the fog lights! I cannot locate the connnectors for any of those parts.

The guy I bought the car from said that the horns and washer didn't work but didn't tell me they were missing! Oh well, live and learn.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
sounds like your car has had some work done to the front end and all said items were removed and not reinstalled (body work, Aftermarket bumper and Hood?). you will need quite a few parts and must locate the horn connectors in the body harness