Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Do-It-Yourself H.Q.

Do-It-Yourself H.Q.
Share your DIY projects or ask questions about how to fix something on your own. Help fellow Bimmerfest members improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Old 10-14-2003, 08:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 540iA Sport
E30 Auxiliary Electric Fan wiring fix

Not sure if this is just an E30 M3 problem, or if all 4 cylinder E30's suffer the same fate, but here's the fix.

Look familair

So, you found a broken wire or wires at your thermostat, or noticed that your Auxiliary Electric Fan was not operating with you’re A/C engaged or with an over-temperature condition. Unfortunately, it is a problem that is far too common, but the fix is inexpensive and very easy. Note, the resistor that controls the fan speed is also a common failure and would have similar symptoms.

Tool List
-Soldering iron and solder
-Properly sized heat shrink tubing
-Wire strippers
-Friction tape (hockey tape) and/or protective tubing
-Dielectric grease
-Torch style cigar lighter (or a standard propane torch)

Parts List
P/N's for the $8 fix (Crevier BMW pricing):
-Repair Leads: 61-13-0-007-441 Cable Socket (x3) $2.40 each
-Repair Plug (if you need it): 61-13-1-378-410 Plug Terminal (x1) $0.80

There may be an $80 "repair kit" available from BMW, but I could not find the P/N, and do not know what could possibly make it worth 10 times more than the components above.

Cut your leads to the correct length, I used 6"-7" including the lead. Strip about 3/4" of insulation off each wire, and slide a 3" section of heat shrink tubing onto the wire. These are just ballpark measurements from what I used, I'm sure that there are other solutions just as good.

Remove the black plastic shield behind the headlamp. Disconnect the battery, or be very careful not to short the bare wires out during this next step. Strip 3/4" of insulation from each of the three wires coming from the car's harness. One at a time, twist a new lead to a harness wire, solder, slide the heat shrink tubing down over the joint. Repeat 2 more times.

Now to shrink the tubing (mine is clear), a propane torch set very low will do, but a torch style cigar lighter is ideal.

Now to reclaim your old connector, just pry up the clips that hold the leads in place.

Now before you tape the new leads together, its time for the important part, installing the leads in the correct positions. Proper wiring, the connector has positions 2 and 3 labeled:
(1) Green/Black (I was originally told Green/Brown, but it was not there)
(2) Black
(3) Black/Brown

Now, you can wrap the new leads/wires together with some friction tape and add a drop of dielectric grease to the female side of each connector lead for good measure.

Or use some protective tubing, or both ;-)

Now just reconnect your repaired connector to the thermostat, replace the shield behind the headlamp, and you are done. Use that torch to light up a victory cigar!

For a quick check, start the car and turn the A/C on, is the Aux Fan in front of the radiator spinning? If so good. Now turn the A/C off, did it stop? If so great.

Hope these instructions worked for you, they worked on a U.S. spec 1989 E30 M3 with an Oct 1988 build date.

Later,
Dave

E39 - 1998 540iA Sport (11/97 Production)
E30 - 1989 M3 (44k miles)
1979 Triumph TR7, still have my first car ;-)
Past cars:
E21 - 1980 320i (sold at 130k)
E23 - 1986 735i

Avatars under the signature are MUCH more prestigious than to the left of the post...
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2012, 09:35 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X 5 4.4i
Unhappy Aux fan not working

Unfortunately, this would Not work for me because 1st of all I'm a very handy Men
specially when it comes to electrical wires connections.

However I never knew if my Aux fan wasn't even working N'tll when I searched
on the A/C malfunctioning, and I discovered that 95% of the story related with the Aux fan
not functioned properly. That's when I realized that my aux fan has been failed for a while
due to some weak A/C I've been having sometime.

1st, I than checked all my fuses and they all seems to be ok.

2nd, I followed the wires plug that send power to the Aux fan, tested it with a tester
Power found there.
3rd, I than unplug the Aux fan, and send a separate power coming directly from the
battery jumper port, connected to the Aux fan inside the male plug.

The fan is not moving either left or right, at this point, I figured out my aux fan has failed.

(01 X5 4.4i)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gadon coco (884).jpg
Views:	77
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	334206