Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 07-23-2012, 12:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
And you see hear I'd call it a design flaw .... but I like to hear and feel the turbos, not to imply I want it to be like an old Porsche 930 where it feels like you just got rear ended by a UPS truck.
Remember that the N20 also goes in a 5 series, X3, etc. Luxury buyers don't want to hear that stuff
Old 07-23-2012, 12:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Remember that the N20 also goes in a 5 series, X3, etc. Luxury buyers don't want to hear that stuff
I think driving enthusiasts do want to hear some of that stuff. To each their own though.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I think driving enthusiasts do want to hear some of that stuff. To each their own though.
I'm with you on the Z4 and F30. You should be able to hear the turbo. Personally, I think it sounds cool.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
I'm with you on the Z4 and F30. You should be able to hear the turbo. Personally, I think it sounds cool.

BMW is letting you hear whatever they think you want to hear:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7...-using-stereo/

Soon you'll probably be able to select what ever sound you want to hear with an i-drive selection, from a jet engine to a Harley...
Old 07-23-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
BMW is letting you hear whatever they think you want to hear:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7...-using-stereo/

Soon you'll probably be able to select what ever sound you want to hear with an i-drive selection, from a jet engine to a Harley...
I bet the noises sound awesome with the new B&O option on the M5
Old 07-23-2012, 04:58 PM

Will the fake engine noises set off car alarms? Piss off my neighbors? Rattle a nerd of their moped?
Old 07-23-2012, 06:38 PM

Mein Auto: 335d
I saw this posted on some automotive site. If you haven't seen it, it's hilarious. An electric Dominos pizza scooter in Netherlands with "safe sounds". Poor guy.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d Sport
Pretty soon, they will manufacture a fake driving experience. The new 911 is going in that direction, with electronic help every step of the way. Disgusting. I'll stick with the real stuff.

PL
Old 07-23-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
Pretty soon, they will manufacture a fake driving experience. The new 911 is going in that direction, with electronic help every step of the way. Disgusting. I'll stick with the real stuff.

PL
I heard about exhaust sound like in M5 but how is porsche working towards faking driving experience is it electronic steering? Just curious

But I guess its inevitable more reliance on electronics to improve every bit of efficiency that is possible.

335d Black Sapphire/Biege/Premium/Sport/Cold/Nav/CA/PDC/iPod

Last edited by bimmerdiesel; 07-23-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdiesel View Post
I heard about exhaust sound like in M5 but how is porsche working towards faking driving experience is it electronic steering? Just curious

But I guess its inevitable more reliance on electronics to improve every bit of efficiency that is possible.
The new 911, or the 991 as its called, has as either standard or optional, stability and suspension geometry controls that make it, electronically and with sensors/servo/mechanical mechanisms, go more stable and with little or no lean through turns, acceleration, over irregular roads, etc. making its handling literally fool proof. There is no longer a driver expertise or "getting used to the car" factor as I see it. It makes a mediocre driver a good driver etc.

The suspension stiffness can be optionally controlled through sensors with PASM. There are enough acronyms in the Porsche lexicon to fill a handbook now. And yes, the steering is electric and imitates the "feel" of what I suppose they think it should be. Optional is a more "sporty" dialed in steering that will make it more "responsive" again through electronics and dialed in measured factored-in variable steering ratios (BMW is also doing this on their F30 chassis). Too bad Porsche can't get a nice enough steering wheel design - they keep trying every year. Now the cars really do look like Buicks inside.

Of course, MotorWeek commented that most will order the PDK automanual with it - a transmission that again will do everything for you short of, well, you know what I mean....

Not only does the 991 cost a fortune, but the descendents of the Beetle fall so far from the basic sports car tree (except perhaps the base Boxster) I can hardly wait to find the next "Miata" variant of a basic Lotus type "real sports car" that doesn't do everything for me at enormous expense.

I still get the sense that many 3 series Bimmer enthusiasts long for the basic sports car experience and don't need coddling of their driving or their egos, and that going away from this is what is going wrong with the world. I jest but a little.

PL

Last edited by Pierre Louis; 07-23-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdiesel View Post

I thought the Porsche exhaust sound piped into the cabin was done differently than the M5 in that it was not the stereo just making a fake sound for you. But I only read about it once and can't say I paid that much attention to the details at the time.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:56 AM

Quote:
I thought the Porsche exhaust sound piped into the cabin was done differently than the M5 in that it was not the stereo just making a fake sound for you. But I only read about it once and can't say I paid that much attention to the details at the time.
Yeah, for Porsche, you need to buy a pricey sport exhaust option which does nothing much for performance but returns the car to a more throaty exhaust sound. Its optional and involves a mechanical re-routing of the exhaust tubing you activate with a switch.

PL
Old 07-24-2012, 04:30 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
There is no longer a driver expertise or "getting used to the car" factor as I see it. It makes a mediocre driver a good driver etc....And yes, the steering is electric and imitates the "feel" of what I suppose they think it should be. Optional is a more "sporty" dialed in steering that will make it more "responsive" again through electronics and dialed in measured factored-in variable steering ratios (BMW is also doing this on their F30 chassis).
PL

Same thing happened in the aircraft industry with "stick shakers" for stall warnings, "fly by wire" controls and computers ensuring a plane stays in the envelope, in planes, vs. the fabric-covered biplanes of WWI with direct-wire controls.

Last edited by Penguin; 07-24-2012 at 04:32 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Yeah, for Porsche, you need to buy a pricey sport exhaust option which does nothing much for performance but returns the car to a more throaty exhaust sound. Its optional and involves a mechanical re-routing of the exhaust tubing you activate with a switch.

PL
I thought the none sport exhaust optioned Panamera was pretty throaty sounding.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:44 AM

Quote:

PL
Actually this is what I was thinking about earlier in the thread:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ined-tech-dept

I am surprised to see fake engine noises are done on some VWs as well. Sounds of the engines/exhausts has always been a big deal to me. I think it was the biggest let down about the E63 v. C63 when I was shopping both cars.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:15 AM
hang up and drive!

I think this thread has clipped the curb now!

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Old 07-24-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingman View Post
I think this thread has clipped the curb now!
Toy boat..
Old 07-24-2012, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d jet black
I did the same thing on a pot hole only both front and rear hit. Bent front lower control arm and ruined the rear tire. Cost $1400 + new tire. Included 4 wheel alignment. Control arm is aluminum and designed to bend rather than bend main structure which is also aluminum. Low profile +RF+pothole to not mix well

Quote:

I clipped the right rear wheel on a curb this morning. It was certainly stupidity on my part. Getting a bit too familiar with my commute route I suppose.

I thought I might have flattend the tire and rim, but tire is fine, rim was scratched up, but when driving off I noticed my alignment was off as i had to steer left to keep going straight. Not sure if the front was also impacted but right rear for sure. Then my brake warning light went off.

I was able to drive on to work and call my insurance. Told them I thought car was safe enough to drive back home and then drop off at a shop. The nearest shop they work with is a Chevy dealer, even though BMW is closer to me.

My deductible is high at $1,000, and I would not expect this would reach that high, but I'm debating if i should take it to the BMW or the shop recommended by my insurance? I suppose I could stop by both and get an estimate of repair.

Any suggestions from the crowd?
Old 07-26-2012, 02:36 AM
hang up and drive!

Well, a pot hole is understandable. Hard to miss those sometimes. Did you file an insurance claim?

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Old 07-26-2012, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d jet black
Nope $1000 ded. I would only use it for big stuff anyway. Insurance can get mighty expensive on our cars or any clasified sports car if the claims start coming in.

Quote:
Well, a pot hole is understandable. Hard to miss those sometimes. Did you file an insurance claim?
Old 07-26-2012, 05:20 PM

I guess that is what insurance is for. I never even thought of using it for this though.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:09 AM

I use to love hearing my 02 MCS supercharger WHINE!! like a bitch!! LOL

Last edited by Axel61; 07-27-2012 at 07:10 AM. Reason: editing