Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E24 (1976 - 1989)

E24 (1976 - 1989)
The BMW 6 Series (E24) was the first variant of the 6 series produced by BMW from 1976 through 1989.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: E24 635csi E46 323 E53 X5
Exclamation Just got a 635csi

Hello everyone! I'm new to this form (I am also on E46fanatics). I just got a 1982 635CSI. I found it on the side of the road abandoned and thought it wold be a fun project car. It is in decent shape but I have no idea if it runs. It has no battery and I have no key for it. So my question: What are all the things I need to look at to get this car in running condition. Can a lock smith cut a new ignition key or do I have to buy a new ignition barel? Where is a decent place to get parts for the vehicle. The interrior is in decent shape but the dash bord is cracked and the drivers seat is riped. The car has been sitting for quite a while but I really want to get started working on it!!! Any input or advice would be very helpful. I will post pictures later tonight (at work right now). Thanks!!!
Ads by Google
Old 07-25-2012, 08:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 635 CSi BMW 730i E38
First of all, Can you legally take charge of this car ? If yes and you then own the documents for this car contact your nearest BMW main agent and they will supply you with keys for it cut against the chassis or vin number and before you spend too much money on it, Get it running and try to find an indie to check it over, If you lived in the UK I would be that person, Peter
Old 07-26-2012, 02:33 PM

Thanks for the input Peter. The state of Georgia has an abandoned vehicle law that states that any vehicle sitting in one location for over 30 days is considered abandoned and my be claimed. However every effort must be made to try and contact the last documented owner. The car was sitting in the same spot for over a year in the city. I am really surprised that it wasn't towed sooner. I am very excited to get it going again though. It will be my first project restoration car.
Pictures as promised!

Last edited by Patton635csi; 07-26-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:46 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 635 CSi BMW 730i E38
Hello patton 635, I'm Peter newman, Sorry that I'm in the UK but I've been working on the whole range of BMW 6 serie's since they came out in 1977 and I'm more than happy to give you tons of info on them, My private e-mail address is peternewmanbmwmb@tiscali.co.uk I had to retire from the motor trade due to minor health problems, I'm a professional guitarist nowadays and I do not run a BMW repair and servicing business anymore (sadly) I still own a imaculate 1986 635 csi and a 1995 e38 seven series so please get in touch if you need help, It's a shame we are not closer together, Best wishes, Peter
Old 07-26-2012, 11:13 PM

Mein Auto: x3
Cool looking car for free IMHO, i swear if you wiped down those rear seats they would look brand new, they dont build em like they used to do they?
First ever BMW i was driven in was the rear of an M6 back in around 1990, loved those rear buckets!

Last edited by maxeaus; 07-26-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:37 PM

Peter, I appreciate the offer for help! Would a BMW main be a dealership of would it be BMW North America? I should have the title in hand in about 2 weeks and I want to get the key for that car as soon as possible. I want to retain as much of the OEM equipment as possible. I have a fairly good mechanical mind so most of the work I can do my self. Having the repair manual helps as well! A couple years back I did a top end rebuild on a 88 735I. And as I understand it, the motors are basically the same.

Yes I was very pleased with the condition of most of the interior equipment. Most of the damage is in the drivers seat and the dash board. Its going to take a bit of time!
Old 12-01-2012, 04:02 AM

Mein Auto: 635csi
Awesome colors!
Old 12-02-2012, 03:02 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Bert Poliakoff
Mein Auto: x5
Once you have the title, just go to a BMW dealer and they can order you a new key from the VIN number on your title
Old 01-07-2013, 03:18 AM

Mein Auto: '81 528i, '73 2002
Great free find!!! WOW!!!!
I suggest you only go to the 'stealership' for the keys & what you can't find on the websites. Like 'bavauto.com', '******************.com', 'azautohaus.com', and others. Also, register with 'Bigcoupe.com'. Along with this website, there are alotta gurus there, that are more than willing to help. And, it's free too.
Find a local BMW mechanic, but, not the 'stealership'! Get some metric only tools. I have always chosen Craftsman 'cause Sears is .everywhere & the tools are gauranteed for life.
Just rub out the paint with some light rubbing compound. Not the heavy duty stuff. I use NuFinish, the polish in the orange bottle. It says once a year, but, I use it once a quarter 'cause it's very easy to apply.
Being an '82 E12 based car, it will be hard to find parts, but, since it's free, your ahead of the gamel! Be patient. I know 'cause My Buster is an '82 Euro635CSi. E12 based, not E28 based.
Change the oil & anti-freeze, before you even try to start it & go from there. I'll see ya on the Bigcoupe website, too.
Good luck,,,,Greg
Ps,,,,Change the plugs & see what they look like first, too. Before you remove the plugs, blow out the holes to remove any debris! At Office Depot, they have some canned air for you.
If the plugs fight you, squirt in some penetrating oil & wait a coupla days.

Last edited by GripGreg; 01-07-2013 at 03:42 AM. Reason: ****************** was deleted