Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:40 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
I'm glad Cadillac is giving BMW serious competition. Bottom line is that BMW has gotten too comfortable being "#1" and while their entry level prices are reasonable, adding levels of gear that are standard from other makes often pushes BMW $5,000-$10,000 over competitive products.

Can't wait for more shootouts to show up.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 335i 6MT
They should have test the 335i with the 8 speed auto. I am sure it would have a quicker 0-60 time ( 4.7)!
Old 07-28-2012, 06:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
I'm glad Cadillac is giving BMW serious competition. Bottom line is that BMW has gotten too comfortable being "#1" and while their entry level prices are reasonable, adding levels of gear that are standard from other makes often pushes BMW $5,000-$10,000 over competitive products.

Can't wait for more shootouts to show up.
I wouldn't say BMW has been complacent. Many changes they made were to cater to people like BJ. Judging by BJ's pre-first drive review, it was a wild success.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:50 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
I wouldn't say BMW has been complacent. Many changes they made were to cater to people like BJ. Judging by BJ's pre-first drive review, it was a wild success.
The changes very likely catere to people like me as well. If they did not do something about the "Pothole Explosion" issue I would never consider another 3 Series. For the most part the reviews that have been coming in on the F30 (including Emission on Autoblog) have praised the way the F30 drives.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 07-28-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:57 PM

Mein Auto: ~
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
If you don't believe me try going for a ride around a track with a professional driver in a Honda Accord and you will see how much potential most modern cars have.
Absolutely. The local favorite demo is to take out new students piled into an Explorer. They come back stunned.

Quote:
I explained that the speaker that were playing were actually the EPI 100s that were sitting next to them and sold for about $90 each.
You knew your stuff. Great little speakers. I replaced mine with a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10s.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:01 PM
Let me buya F31 335xi BMW

Mein Auto: 09 JCW, C43/55, 560SL, TJ
Anyone considering a Cadillac I'll do you a favor and ask you a question that a co-worker and friend of mine asked me when I was seriously considering a CST-V about a decade ago ... "How long do you think it will be before parts start falling off it? You may want to consider the extended warrantee"

When saying that, he had no idea that a decade before that, my wife and I were given a Seville by my wife's mother, who got it from her father. It was two years old with 5000 miles on it when my wife's mother got it, and they only drove it for one year; my wife's grandfather would get a new Cadillac every year or two since when he won one in a lottery in the 1950s and alternate passing the old one down to each of his two daughters. So it was only about 3 years old, with like 15,000 miles on it when we got it. We had the car a few years and put a few tens of thousand miles on it. Now I don't know, maybe it's just me. But I don't think if I have a few years old car and it's only got a few tens of thousands of miles on it at the time, that [multiple] interior trim pieces are supposed to fall off, glove compartment no longer close, leather seat on the passenger side start disintegrating, or blinker just decide to detach itself from the car and stay in your hand one of the times you use it...

So I'll ask anyone considering a Cadillac ... "How long do you think it will be until parts start falling off of it?"

Last edited by m8o; 07-28-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
It is a lot easier to chase than lead.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8o View Post
Anyone considering a Cadillac I'll do you a favor and ask you a question that a co-worker and friend of mine asked me when I was seriously considering a CST-V about a decade ago ... "How long do you think it will be before parts start falling off it? You may want to consider the extended warrantee"

When saying that, he had no idea that a decade before that, my wife and I were given a Seville by my wife's mother, who got it from her father. It was two years old with 5000 miles on it when my wife's mother got it, and they only drove it for one year; my wife's grandfather would get a new Cadillac every year or two since when he won one in a lottery in the 1950s and alternate passing the old one down to each of his two daughters. So it was only about 3 years old, with like 15,000 miles on it when we got it. We had the car a few years and put a few tens of thousand miles on it. Now I don't know, maybe it's just me. But I don't think if I have a few years old car and it's only got a few tens of thousands of miles on it at the time, that [multiple] interior trim pieces are supposed to fall off, glove compartment no longer close, leather seat on the passenger side start disintegrating, or blinker just decide to detach itself from the car and stay in your hand one of the times you use it...

So I'll ask anyone considering a Cadillac ... "How long do you think it will be until parts start falling off of it?"

There is no question that Cadillac had a reliabilty and build quality problem. That does not mean that it still does but that is a very legitimate question. JD Powers give the 2012 CTS-V a good rating for reliability.

FWIW there are not many BMWs at the top of the reliabilty ratings. My 07 335i has been very solid (other than its appetite for tires and rims) but you need a larger sample that one car to determine reliabiity.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 07-28-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: 335i xDrive Coupe
Quote:
There is no question that Cadillac had a reliabilty and build quality problem. That does not mean that it still does but that is a very legitimate question. JD Powers give the 2012 CTS-V a good rating for reliability.

FWIW there are not many BMWs at the top of the reliabilty ratings but my07 335i has been very solid,

CA
And BMW does not?? RFT anyone, HPFP failure??
Old 07-28-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
Acttually, from an auto racing perspective at least, its easier to lead. That is why race drivers compete for the pole,

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 07-28-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
You knew your stuff. Great little speakers. I replaced mine with a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10s.
The EPIs were great speakers. I was driving them with McIntosh electronics which certainly brought out the best in them.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 07-28-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Acttually, from an auto racing perspective at least, its easier to lead. That is why race drivers compete for the pole,

CA
Im not talking about racing...nothing in this thread is about racing.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:53 PM
Let me buya F31 335xi BMW

Mein Auto: 09 JCW, C43/55, 560SL, TJ
Quote:
You must race -- or know about racing -- bicycles.

With my previous post said, I sure hope Caddi worked out its issues of past. I just went thru a few build processes on Caddi's website and you sure get a lot of car and options for the money. And tho there's something akin to the BMW 'Lines', it's far less restrictive and I'm very happy with the interior and exterior color combos & rims that are available; unlike with BMW's lines.

Last edited by m8o; 07-28-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:55 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Quote:
I was seriously considering a CST-V about a decade ago ...
When saying that, he had no idea that a decade before that, my wife and I were given a Seville by my wife's mother, who got it from her father.

So you're basing your opinion on one car twenty years ago in the all time worst days of a company?

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using BimmerApp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 07-28-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
You must race -- or know about racing -- bicycles.
haha. Epic joke. kudos to you
Old 07-28-2012, 08:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d & 2014 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by panerai7 View Post
What about a resale? You will probably be able to get a 3 year old ATS for 50-55% off.
How much residual do you expect F30 to retain? Lest forget most folks lease these days.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:15 PM
MT4LIFE

Mein Auto: E92-M3, E90-335
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoucity View Post
How much residual do you expect F30 to retain? Lest forget most folks lease these days.
For sale by owner I would expect to get at least 60% with 35-40k miles.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
So if you are a betting man, what is it, ATS likely catching up to BMW, or BMW likely pulling away?
Old 07-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
So if you are a betting man, what is it, ATS likely catching up to BMW, or BMW likely pulling away?
If I was a betting man I would not bet on Cadillac to be able to maintain the momentum to actually catch BMW or to stay close in the race for the long term. I think we're beyond the days of BMW being able to pull away from the competition. I think instead they will continue to edge out their competition.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 07-28-2012, 08:57 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

I think an issue that will hamper Cadillac for the long term is that at the core GM is still run by bean counters (I believe; I don't believe that has fundamentally changed), whereas BMW is still a company run by engineers (even though they may have to fight the bean counters).

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 07-28-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:22 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
I think an issue that will hamper Cadillac for the long term is that at the core GM is still run by bean counters (I believe; I don't believe that has fundamentally changed.) whereas BMW is still a company run by engineers (even though they may have to fight the bean counters).
You're missing the point entirely. This has nothing to do with the quality of the vehicle, the ride, the experience, or the price. This has everything to do with brand.

And when it comes to brand, BMW is atop the pile and Cadillac isn't even close. In order to understand the product you have to think like the customer. And in this case the customer is two very different things. White-collar America aspires to own a BMW. Only blue-collar types want to own a Cadillac. Car ownership is all about bagging the girl. Just like cavemen in ancient times, whoever carries the biggest stick gets the best woman. Your Ford F150 owner needs a Cadillac to bag his barefoot babe at the pig roast. Your Volkswagen GTI owner needs a BMW to bag his trophy wife at the country club.

The streams do not cross. Ms. Cute College wants a man-in-a-suit who drives a BMW, Ms. Dirty Toes wants a man-in-a-jumpsuit who drives a Cadillac.

As such, Cadillac can never take a bite out of BMW. Cadillac can grow its own market share, take sales away from the likes of Infiniti, Lexus, Acura, Audi and the other wannabe luxury brands, but BMW is something special. Cadillac and the other frauds aren't status-symbols. They're just luxurious cars. That's the difference. If you pretend racecar drivers would take your heads out of your aspirated asses, you'd see that.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 07-28-2012, 09:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d & 2014 535i
BJ, when did you acquire that cabriolet?
Old 07-28-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
You're missing the point entirely. This has nothing to do with the quality of the vehicle, the ride, the experience, or the price. This has everything to do with brand.

And when it comes to brand, BMW is atop the pile and Cadillac isn't even close. In order to understand the product you have to think like the customer. And in this case the customer is two very different things. White-collar America aspires to own a BMW. Only blue-collar types want to own a Cadillac. Car ownership is all about bagging the girl. Just like cavemen in ancient times, whoever carries the biggest stick gets the best woman. Your Ford F150 owner needs a Cadillac to bag his barefoot babe at the pig roast. Your Volkswagen GTI owner needs a BMW to bag his trophy wife at the country club.

The streams do not cross. Ms. Cute College wants a man-in-a-suit who drives a BMW, Ms. Dirty Toes wants a man-in-a-jumpsuit who drives a Cadillac.

As such, Cadillac can never take a bite out of BMW. Cadillac can grow its own market share, take sales away from the likes of Infiniti, Lexus, Acura, Audi and the other wannabe luxury brands, but BMW is something special. Cadillac and the other frauds aren't status-symbols. They're just luxurious cars. That's the difference. If you pretend racecar drivers would take your heads out of your aspirated asses, you'd see that.

BJ
That's right. BJ disagrees with pretty much all the BMW owner's diverse opinions here, except his own. That does not support his claim that he represents 90% of the BMW owner's, because if he were correct, we would have certainly had read one or two other opinions that he could relate to. Yet he is so alone.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:40 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
That was the first bimmer, before the ///M328i. That's the car that got us all into this mess.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:43 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
August 2007 and had to give it back in November 2009 for an E90 because it was too small for my growing kids and their football equipment. Was a great car, don't regret it at all, but it just didn't work for me.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®