Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 07-29-2012, 12:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 740il
Exclamation ABS Speed Sensors

My ABS light was on. I figured by changing the speed sensors the light would disappear on its own...well it didn't! Funny thing...in cool weather, the light on the dash would take a while to come on. In this heat, the light comes on when I turn on the car. Any suggestions? Is there a relay I should be looking at? Do I need a special tool to extinguish the dash light? Hope someone out there can help!!
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2012, 06:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '99 740IL, K75RT
Check this thread http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&highlight=abs
Old 07-29-2012, 10:07 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny53 View Post
I figured by changing the speed sensors the light would disappear on its own...
I was shocked when I was first informed that people actually replace all four wheel speed sensors when they have the ABS/BRAKE/DSC-ASC trifecta.

But I've heard it time and time again.

For the 'next' person to benefit, please realize that it only takes about fifteen minutes (or so) to test all four wheel speed sensors from the engine bay.

Also, out of the over two hundred thousand visitors to the canonical ABS trifecta diagnostic thread, there isn't a single known case of all four sensors going bad - and the only cases of more than one going bad were due to physical damage which would have been obvious to anyone who removes them.

Anyway, at least the OP has all new wheel speed sensors!

Now it's time to focus on the ABS control module itself.

I realize this is the E38 forum, but we share engines and components, so I hope these links from the E39 bestlinks are useful to you:

- How to diagnose the BMW amber ABS BRAKE DSC/ASC trifecta or bifecta (1) & what are all known options when your ABS control module is bad (1) & Quick99Si's explanation of why the 10-minute wheel speed sensor diode-action quick test doesn't always work, especially on brand new non-OEM wheel speed sensors (1) (2) & explanations by 540iman as to why the fancy diagnostic tools very often (extremely often, like almost all the time) fail to properly diagnose the trifecta or bifecta (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) & where to get the fancy schmancy diagnostic tools for free once you're aware of these limitations (1) & an ABS BRAKE DSC trifecta brake pressure sensor diagnostic DIY (1)