Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:57 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Coding Internet over Bluetooth and not over BMW

Dear friends,
the car I m coding right now has more or less all options but there is one problem I would like to address (allmost all others are solved trough reading here):
As it is a Germany delivered car the Internet surfing option is only available trough a BMW contract (150 € per year) besides the BMW Assist/ConnectedDrive. I know that for some markets where the Internet option is not available there is the possibility to use the internet through bluetooth connection via smartphone. How and where do I code this? Some in the net were already successful but are not sharing the route how to do it. Of course I dont want to affect BMW Assist/Connected Drive. I would only like to change the Internet option to tethering over Bluetooth.....

Thanks a lot
clem86
Advertisement
Old 07-28-2012, 02:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by clem86 View Post
Dear friends,
the car I m coding right now has more or less all options but there is one problem I would like to address (allmost all others are solved trough reading here):
As it is a Germany delivered car the Internet surfing option is only available trough a BMW contract (150 € per year) besides the BMW Assist/ConnectedDrive. I know that for some markets where the Internet option is not available there is the possibility to use the internet through bluetooth connection via smartphone. How and where do I code this? Some in the net were already successful but are not sharing the route how to do it. Of course I dont want to affect BMW Assist/Connected Drive. I would only like to change the Internet option to tethering over Bluetooth.....

Thanks a lot
clem86
I have read extensively on this, and I have tried getting BMW Live working on my F10 with no success. I know it is possible though, as the Professional Retrofitters offer it. In any event, my understanding is that the two, BMW Assist and BMW Live (Internet), can not coexist. It's one or the other. The BMW Live (Internet) is better in that you get Google Street View, Google Panoramio, and the Web Browser; however, since Google Send-To is part of BMW Assist, if you replace BMW Assist with BMW Live you, you loose that functionality. Other than that, I don't see any downside, and the upside, besides the advanced functionality, is you can save 150 € per year.

You can start by coding the following and see what you get:

HU_CIC, 3003 TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE:

ONLINE_SERVICES = aktiv / Werte=01
ONLINE_BROWSER = beide_aktiv / Werte=03 - Adds "BMW Online" and "Internet" under ConnectedDrive=>BMW Assist
ONLINE_BROWSER_LIVE = aktiv / Werte=01 - Replaces "BMW Online" with "BMW Live" under ConnectedDrive=>BMW Assist.

This is for an F10, so other chassis coding may differ slightly.

If that does not work, I believe you will have to remove BMW Assist related services (presumably S639A) from the VO, and recode the CIC based on the modified VO.

If it seems to be working, but the Internet screen says it is not available in your country, I believe you will need to code the VIN of an "allowed" country into Combox, and in the Combox set TELEMATIK_VIN=coding_vin, which tells the Combox which VIN number to use, either the one coded or the one found on the MOST BUS (i.e. the car's).

In summary, BMW Live can be enabled, but BMW Assist needs to be removed, but without removing Bluetooth, and the Combox VIN needs to be from a country authorized to utilize the BMW Live Servers / Portal.

The problem for U.S. cars, we don't have SA612 for Assist, rather we have SA639 (BMW Assist with Bluetooth), and if you remove SA639, you also loose Bluetooth. I am not sure how to remove Assist, and add just Bluetooth. I will play around with it some more though and see if I can figure it out. Let me know if you are able to get yours working, and if so, how.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 08-05-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:54 PM

Thanks for your response. I've already tried before what you suggested to code in this module: HU_CIC, 3003 TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE. Unfortunately I had no success neither Internet was working nor Assist any more. Every combination other than the original resulted in some trouble so for now I stopped my trials and asked here. I've read some time ago that it is possible to code also with the Assist active that Internet works over the smartphone.... hopefully you or someone else will come up with some solution :-)

greets
clem86
Old 07-28-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your response. I've already tried before what you suggested to code in this module: HU_CIC, 3003 TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE. Unfortunately I had no success neither Internet was working nor Assist any more. Every combination other than the original resulted in some trouble so for now I stopped my trials and asked here. I've read some time ago that it is possible to code also with the Assist active that Internet works over the smartphone.... hopefully you or someone else will come up with some solution :-)

greets
clem86
Oh well. I may just end up paying to have it done. I think it was only $250 if I remember right.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 07-28-2012, 06:02 PM

Paying 250 bucks for what? Assist is free for 3 yrs in Germany but Internet is 150 Euro per yr..... refering to the coding its free or I misunderstood something?

greets
clem86
Old 07-28-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Paying 250 bucks for what? Assist is free for 3 yrs in Germany but Internet is 150 Euro per yr..... refering to the coding its free or I misunderstood something?

greets
clem86
$250 to have BMW Live Coded by one of the professional retrofitters.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:06 PM

Mein Auto: 5 Series F10 2012 Model
I already have the BMW Online enabled but do not have Internet. Using the parameters below for Online Browser, I now get the additional option 'Internet' in Connected Drive. I only needed to change the Online_Browser to 03 for this to take effect (nothing else).
BMW online still works fine, no issues there.
Trying out Internet gives the error 'Not available for your country'

Can you guide which exact settings I need to change to get this to work? where do I code the telematik_vin and to what value?

I don't think I need to modify the VO, but please advise.

I was browsing through the parameters and there are many settings for Data Networking and Bluetooth networking, DUN and PAN profiles. Would I need to modify these as well?

Any help would be much appreciated.

My car is UK 2012 June F10 with Professional SatNav. I have the BMW Assist pack but not Internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
I have read extensively on this, and I have tried getting BMW Live working on my F10 with no success. I know it is possible though, as the Professional Retrofitters offer it. In any event, my understanding is that the two, BMW Assist and BMW Live (Internet), can not coexist. It's one or the other. The BMW Live (Internet) is better in that you get Google Street View, Google Panoramio, and the Web Browser; however, since Google Send-To is part of BMW Assist, if you replace BMW Assist with BMW Live you, you loose that functionality. Other than that, I don't see any downside, and the upside, besides the advanced functionality, is you can save 150 € per year.

You can start by coding the following and see what you get:

HU_CIC, 3003 TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE:

ONLINE_SERVICES = aktiv / Werte=01
ONLINE_BROWSER = beide_aktiv / Werte=03 - Adds "BMW Online" and "Internet" under ConnectedDrive=>BMW Assist
ONLINE_BROWSER_LIVE = aktiv / Werte=01 - Replaces "BMW Online" with "BMW Live" under ConnectedDrive=>BMW Assist.

This is for an F10, so other chassis coding may differ slightly.

If that does not work, I believe you will have to remove BMW Assist related services (presumably SA612) from the VO, and recode the CIC based on the modified VO.

If it seems to be working, but the Internet screen says it is not available in your country, I believe you will need to code the VIN of an "allowed" country into Combox, and in the Combox set TELEMATIK_VIN=coding_vin, which tells the Combox which VIN number to use, either the one coded or the one found on the MOST BUS (i.e. the car's).

In summary, BMW Live can be enabled, but BMW Assist needs to be removed, but without removing Bluetooth, and the Combox VIN needs to be from a country authorized to utilize the BMW Live Servers / Portal.

The problem for U.S. cars, we don't have SA612 for Assist, rather we have SA639 (BMW Assist with Bluetooth), and if you remove SA639, you also loose Bluetooth. I am not sure how to remove Assist, and add just Bluetooth. I will play around with it some more though and see if I can figure it out. Let me know if you are able to get yours working, and if so, how.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
I already have the BMW Online enabled but do not have Internet. Using the parameters below for Online Browser, I now get the additional option 'Internet' in Connected Drive. I only needed to change the Online_Browser to 03 for this to take effect (nothing else).
BMW online still works fine, no issues there.
Trying out Internet gives the error 'Not available for your country'

Can you guide which exact settings I need to change to get this to work? where do I code the telematik_vin and to what value?

I don't think I need to modify the VO, but please advise.

I was browsing through the parameters and there are many settings for Data Networking and Bluetooth networking, DUN and PAN profiles. Would I need to modify these as well?

Any help would be much appreciated.

My car is UK 2012 June F10 with Professional SatNav. I have the BMW Assist pack but not Internet.
Well I was playing around with a lot of parameters but the result was that Assist stopped working and Internet was not available. Also playing around with DUN and PAN did not give me the desired result. So far there is no solution from my point of view.

greets
clem
Old 07-31-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
...Can you guide which exact settings I need to change to get this to work?
Well, if I knew how to make this work, it would be working already in my car .

Read this thread:

http://www.bmwcoding.com/showthread....=telematik_vin

The difficulty here is the people doing this are doing it with E Chassis vehicles and using NCS Expert, so it does not directly equate to F Chassis coding with E-Sys, but conceptually it is the same.

Quote:
...Trying out Internet gives the error 'Not available for your country'

...where do I code the telematik_vin and to what value?
telematik_vin should be somewhere in the Combox ECU. I never got that far with it, as I could not even get the 'Not available for your country' message to appear, presumably because my BMW Assist was still active.

What needs to be entered somehow in there is the VIN plus a checksum digit of another car that was built for a country that is authorized to use the BMW Live Portal (European, UK, etc.).

Quote:
...I don't think I need to modify the VO, but please advise.
Modifying a VO, writing it to the car, and coding the affected ECU is the "easiest" way to add / configure something, as it will automatically make all the required FDL Code changes for you. That said, you can manually FDL Code every individual entry and accomplish the same thing.

Quote:
...I was browsing through the parameters and there are many settings for Data Networking and Bluetooth networking, DUN and PAN profiles. Would I need to modify these as well?
You should not have to mess with any of the Data Networking and Bluetooth networking, DUN and PAN profiles.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:41 PM

@shawnsheridan:

Thank you for your detailed answer; much appreciated

I am now on bmwcoding and researching the link you mentioned.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
@shawnsheridan:

Thank you for your detailed answer; much appreciated

I am now on bmwcoding and researching the link you mentioned.
I'm not sure if you got anywhere further with this, but here is what I have been able to figure out:

Code CMB_MEDIA / 3006 TELEMATIK / TELEMATIK_VIN = Coding_VIN /Werte=01

Since NCS Expert won't work on Fxx Chassis, to Code a "working" VIN # in the Combox, use EDIABAS Toolset 32, which is installed as part of E-Sys, and do the following:

- Launch tool32.exe (C:\EDIABAS\Bin\TOOL32.EXE)
- Hit F3 or Go to File, Load SGBD Group File
- Select CMEDIAR.prg (Combox ECU) located in C:\EDIABAS\Ecu\cmediar.prg
- Scroll down to C_FG_SCHREIBEN Job
- In argument put new VIN + 1 digit (use any digit you want for the extra checksum digit and no spaces)
- Press the 1*> button (Start Job Once Only) on toolbar at top
- Result should show Okay.

I think the key for U.S. cars to get rid of BMW Assist, is we need to remove option S639A - PREPARATION F MOBILE PHONE CPL. USA/CDN (BMW Assist) and replace it with option S644A - PREPARATION F MOBILE PHONE W BLUETOOTH and then code KOMBI, CIC and CAS.

I may give this a shot next weekend.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:31 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure if you got anywhere further with this, but here is what I have been able to figure out:

Code CMB_MEDIA / 3006 TELEMATIK / TELEMATIK_VIN = Coding_VIN /Werte=01

Since NCS Expert won't work on Fxx Chassis, to Code a "working" VIN # in the Combox, use EDIABAS Toolset 32, which is installed as part of E-Sys, and do the following:

- Launch tool32.exe (C:\EDIABAS\Bin\TOOL32.EXE)
- Hit F3 or Go to File, Load SGBD Group File
- Select CMEDIAR.prg (Combox ECU) located in C:\EDIABAS\Ecu\cmediar.prg
- Scroll down to C_FG_SCHREIBEN Job
- In argument put new VIN + 1 digit (use any digit you want for the extra checksum digit and no spaces)
- Press the 1*> button (Start Job Once Only) on toolbar at top
- Result should show Okay.

I think the key for U.S. cars to get rid of BMW Assist, is we need to remove option S639A - PREPARATION F MOBILE PHONE CPL. USA/CDN (BMW Assist) and replace it with option S644A - PREPARATION F MOBILE PHONE W BLUETOOTH and then code KOMBI, CIC and CAS.

I may give this a shot next weekend.
I did try a few more things but really no luck.

I will give this a go tomorrow evening… and report back.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:12 AM

Quote:

@shawnsheridan
Quick one:

1. Can I code my own car VIN number or do I need to find a car which has Internet Option and use its VIN.

2. My E-Sys is installed on my other laptop; do I need to enter the last 7 chars of VIN (+check digit) or the complete VIN number?

Thx… I might give it a go today evening itself if I reach home early.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
@shawnsheridan
Quick one:

1. Can I code my own car VIN number or do I need to find a car which has Internet Option and use its VIN.

2. My E-Sys is installed on my other laptop; do I need to enter the last 7 chars of VIN (+check digit) or the complete VIN number?

Thx… I might give it a go today evening itself if I reach home early.
1. NO! If you wanted your Combox to use your own vehicle VIN #, then you would just leave it as:

Code CMB_MEDIA / 3006 TELEMATIK / TELEMATIK_VIN = MOST_VIN / Werte=00

The whole point of this is to bypass your Vehicle VIN # if its not in a country supported by BMW Live, and trick the BMW Live Portal / Servers into thinking you are, so you use a European VIN # in your Combox.

Only if you know for sure that BMW Live is available in the U.K. can you bypass this.

2) It's the whole (Long) VIN#, plus 1 Checksum Digit.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:39 AM

@shawnsheridan : Thank you for your response and help much appreciated

--------------------------------------------------------
I'll try & explain my situation a bit more clearly.

I have a UK model F10 with following features:

BMW Navigation Media Professional Plus : Package Option ZGP
This includes (as factory fitted for UK)
  • BMW Navigation Professional: Option 609
  • Head Up Display: Option 610
  • BMW Assist: Option 612
  • BMW Assist Online Option: 616
  • Voice Control: Option 620
  • Bluetooth Prep phone + telematics: Option 633
The Internet Option in UK is sold under Option 614 (called Internet). I do not have this option.

This means (I think!) that my VIN should be able to receive BMW Live (or Internet Option 614) along with BMW Assist as both features are available in UK.
I chose not to have the Internet as my build option - but I have confirmed that one can choose BMW Assist, BMW Assist Online and Internet - all options together in UK. (Option 609 + 612 + 616 and 614)

I currently see the option BMW Online in my Connected Drive menu.
I then do the following: HU_CIC, 3003 TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE: ONLINE_BROWSER = beide_aktiv / Werte=03
Now I see an additional option Internet in my Connected Drive menu.

When I select the Internet option, I get the error 'Not available for your country' but the BMW Online option & other Assist Options work fine.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Queries:
1. Would I still need a separate VIN and do I now need to code the VIN or can I leave it to its default value of MOST_VIN / Werte=00

2. Anything else you suggest to try and make this work?

3. Do I need to add Option 614 (Internet) to my VO. I have not done VO before and am a bit nervous. How would I go about doing this bit (if absolutely required)?

Thanks...
Old 08-06-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
@shawnsheridan : Thank you for your response and help much appreciated

--------------------------------------------------------
I'll try & explain my situation a bit more clearly.

I have a UK model F10 with following features:

BMW Navigation Media Professional Plus : Package Option ZGP
This includes (as factory fitted for UK)
  • BMW Navigation Professional: Option 609
  • Head Up Display: Option 610
  • BMW Assist: Option 612
  • BMW Assist Online Option: 616
  • Voice Control: Option 620
  • Bluetooth Prep phone + telematics: Option 633
The Internet Option in UK is sold under Option 614 (called Internet). I do not have this option.

This means (I think!) that my VIN should be able to receive BMW Live (or Internet Option 614) along with BMW Assist as both features are available in UK.
I chose not to have the Internet as my build option - but I have confirmed that one can choose BMW Assist, BMW Assist Online and Internet - all options together in UK. (Option 609 + 612 + 616 and 614)

I currently see the option BMW Online in my Connected Drive menu.
I then do the following: HU_CIC, 3003 TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE: ONLINE_BROWSER = beide_aktiv / Werte=03
Now I see an additional option Internet in my Connected Drive menu.

When I select the Internet option, I get the error 'Not available for your country' but the BMW Online option & other Assist Options work fine.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Queries:
1. Would I still need a separate VIN and do I now need to code the VIN or can I leave it to its default value of MOST_VIN / Werte=00

2. Anything else you suggest to try and make this work?

3. Do I need to add Option 614 (Internet) to my VO. I have not done VO before and am a bit nervous. How would I go about doing this bit (if absolutely required)?

Thanks...
I think you are confusing two different things:

S614A Internet - Internet straight from BMW using the car's telematics and data plan.
S6ALA BMW Live - BMW Online with Internet using your cell phone's Bluetooth and your cell carrier's data plan.

The subject of this thread is Bluetooth Internet, i.e. 6AL BMW Live.

Since I do not know if BMW Live (not Internet) is available in the UK, I don't know if you need go though the process of assigning a different VIN# to your Combox.

As for altering your VO, no, it's never necessary so long as you know every required FDL Code in every affected module in order to support what you are trying to do. Coding based on the VO though greatly simplifies things as you can code an entire module at once without individually FDL coding every needed parameter.

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 08-06-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I think you are confusing two different things:
You are correct; I am probably confusing the two issues. I do not think BMW Live is available in UK on its own...
Regardless, thank you for your help.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
You are correct; I am probably confusing the two issues. I do not think BMW Live is available in UK on its own...
Regardless, thank you for your help.
No problem. If you pursue it and get it working, post back.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
No problem. If you pursue it and get it working, post back.
Have been playing with this since I came back from work. Nutshell result: could not get it to work.

ONLINE_SERVICES = aktiv / Werte(01). This is the existing default setting.

1. If I change
ONLINE_BROWSER = beide_aktiv / Werte(03) - This adds the option 'Internet' to my Connected Drive.
However, on clicking Internet - the error is the same: Not supported in your country.

2. if I change
ONLINE_BROWSER_LIVE = aktiv / Werte(01) This replaces "BMW Online" with BMW Live'
Clicking Internet still results in same error: Not supported in your country.
Clicking BMW Live opens the same screens as BMW Online.
It is as if there is no change at all between BMW Online and BMW Live.
Exactly the same.

I will keep looking….
Old 08-06-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Have been playing with this since I came back from work. Nutshell result: could not get it to work.

ONLINE_SERVICES = aktiv / Werte(01). This is the existing default setting.

1. If I change
ONLINE_BROWSER = beide_aktiv / Werte(03) - This adds the option 'Internet' to my Connected Drive.
However, on clicking Internet - the error is the same: Not supported in your country.

2. if I change
ONLINE_BROWSER_LIVE = aktiv / Werte(01) This replaces "BMW Online" with BMW Live'
Clicking Internet still results in same error: Not supported in your country.
Clicking BMW Live opens the same screens as BMW Online.
It is as if there is no change at all between BMW Online and BMW Live.
Exactly the same.

I will keep looking….
"Not supported in your country" means you have to change the Combox VIN #.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
"Not supported in your country" means you have to change the Combox VIN #.
Tried your suggestion of coding a different VIN.

1. Changed TELEMATIK_VIN to CodingVIN

2. Tried a VIN number via EDIABAS tool32... but get the error ERROR_ECU_SERVICE_NOT_SUPPORTED

Screenshot attached.

Any idea why I am getting this error...
Old 08-06-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Tried your suggestion of coding a different VIN.

1. Changed TELEMATIK_VIN to CodingVIN

2. Tried a VIN number via EDIABAS tool32... but get the error ERROR_ECU_SERVICE_NOT_SUPPORTED

Screenshot attached.

Any idea why I am getting this error...
I'm not sure.

That VIN # looks like it is only 18 digits.

Did you add the extra Checksum Digit?

Old 08-07-2012, 01:43 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure.

That VIN # looks like it is only 18 digits.

Did you add the extra Checksum Digit?
Isn't the VIN number supposed to be 17 digits long? I have added the last digit as checksum digit to make it 18.

…. or am I completely missing something here?
Old 08-07-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Isn't the VIN number supposed to be 17 digits long? I have added the last digit as checksum digit to make it 18.

…. or am I completely missing something here?
Sorry, your are correct. I miscounted. Just for testing purposes only, can you try the tool32 job using your own vehicle VIN # + 1 Checksum Digit, just to see if it takes it. If it does, then the issue is VIN # specific. If it doesn't, then there is something else we need to still figure out.

Did you already code TELEMATIK_VIN = Coding_VIN prior to the tool32 job? Another option is to run the job with it set to MOST_VIN and Coding_VIN to see if it makes a difference.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:38 AM

@gspannu; Can you run C_FG_LESSEN with No Arguments and see if it returns the current Combox Vin Number? Assuming it does, then run C_FG_SCHREIBEN again, but this time with the same VIN Number returned by C_FG_LESSEN job, and with the extra checksum digit, and see if that works? I am trying to determine if the CMEDIAR.prg is working with Fxx Chassis. If it is, then I would try other VIN Numbers and see of one sticks.