Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-01-2012, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: 03 745i E65
Unhappy 2003 745i NEED HELP WITH ALTERNATOR REPLACEMENT

Hey Everyone,

Soooo, my alternator seized up over this weekend. I've seen a few write ups about replacing the gasket for the alternator mount, but I haven't seen anything detailed regarding replacement of the actual alternator. I already bought the replacement alternator, and im pretty much ready to do the work but my main concern is removing things that really dont need to be removed. I reached behind the alternator and was able to find the 2 bolts that mount the pulley towards the bottom half of the alternator and it really appears that, that portion may be the only challenging piece.

Now knowing that my repair knowledge when concerning this car is fairly limited, I am very ready for the posibility that I am sadly mistaken lol.

Can anyone give me some advice on this repair?

What are the tools I'm going to need (for the bolts on the back of the alternator)?

Socket wrench? extension pieces? wrench? mm's?
Any special instructions?

What am I going to need to remove?(heard stablizer bar needs to be dropped and suported)

How long is this going to take?

Any write ups that may have some photos?

Anyone who can help or provide any type of insight will be greatly appreciated. Sad moment in my life right now lol. basically been riding my bike everyday to work and being on a cold freeway at 7am in a collared shirt slapping against your neck is no fun lol.