Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:26 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 3.0I
Z4 Airconditioning

I have a 07 Z4 and first the battery went dead so it went into transport mode and had to have that reset.
Now the air conditioning sometimes blows cold air as it should and sometimes it blows warm and hot air. Seems like I can drive it and then once the engine is warm and/or it sits in the heat when I start it up the air blows warm. If I let it sit then the cold comes back on after it is shut off for a while
Has anyone had an issue like this. The dealership does not seem to know what to look at first. They say it does not need charged, but do not know what to check out first. When I took it in it was working so there was nothing to check. Thanks for any help
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2012, 10:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 3.0si Roadie
There is probably not a thing wrong with your air conditioning, especially if it is fully charged. On a hot day, if the car has been sitting in the sun for some time, it will take some time for the system to start blowing cold air even with the 'max cool' button pressed, simply because everything in the car is hot, the leather, the steering wheel, the dash, the ducting etc. The system has to overcome this heat and will blow hot air for a while. If the car has been sitting in a garage overnight, the air will blow cool and eventually cold. There is no insulation under the hood, as you know, to protect the engine and the compressor/ducting from the heat. On my car, in the Las Vegas heat, it will generally take about five miles for the cool air to replace the hot air inside the compartment enough to be comfortable. So, for my nine mile commute, the first seven to ten minutes are not very comfortable.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:35 AM

air conditioning

Thanks for the reply. Yes yesterday it started with warm air and eventually the cool air kicked in.l Not sure why the dealership could not explain some of this to me. The first time it happened it was 104 here in Ohio. I have the same car as your pick, an 07 with tan top, absolutly love the car and driving it. Thanks again.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:48 AM

It's a great car, and a blast to drive. Here in Las Vegas, temperatures during the summer reach 106-108 degrees during the day during the summer, and I have to leave my car exposed to the sun in the parking lot each day. Temperatures inside the cabin, even with the windows cracked and the windshield blocked, can get much higher than that and even after a couple of miles of driving, the steering wheel can be very hot to the touch. Even the best air conditioners are going to have a difficult time defeating this. A possible solution would be to get solar powered fans to keep the inside temps lower during the day.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:17 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to LED GTR GUY
Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0si roadster
Hey - Here in Reno, altitude 4500 ft, the sun blares down hot. I just purchased a Covercraft window folding sun blocker (for when the car is parked). it is custom fit for the Z4 window and really does the job. Highly recommend. It's $49.95 but VERY worth it.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:48 PM

air conditioning

Well I am back and today it was 94 out and left the house and the air was working and then after one stop and the car setting for about 20 min in the sun it would not blow cold air. Did errands for about 3 hours and it never came back on. This can/t be normal . Does anyone know if there is a sensor or control that needs to be checked to detect when the cool air should kick in. Love the car but tired of this. Thanks
Old 08-03-2012, 04:01 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 3.0
I have had this happen to a couple of my cars in the past and both time's the a/c needed a charge. Sound's to me like the system is low on freon. Good luck.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:44 PM

I would tend to agree...this is not normal. Have the car's refrigerant charged as soon as possible.

jake
Old 08-03-2012, 08:29 PM

Mein Auto: 03 Z4 3.0i
My friend is a tech at a local BMW dealer. Appearently the BMW's are leaking refrigerant significantly. BMW is saying losing a pound and a half of 134a annually is within spec. Anything more and the warranty will cover the cost of leaks. So in other words our refrifgrant systems are built to leak. So it's up to us to charge them annually as 1 and 1/2 pounds is quit a bit and can make a huge difference.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptop85 View Post
My friend is a tech at a local BMW dealer. Appearently the BMW's are leaking refrigerant significantly. BMW is saying losing a pound and a half of 134a annually is within spec. Anything more and the warranty will cover the cost of leaks. So in other words our refrifgrant systems are built to leak. So it's up to us to charge them annually as 1 and 1/2 pounds is quit a bit and can make a huge difference.
I'm sorry but I think that is pure BS. My '03 with almost 100K miles blows air just as cold as the day I bought it 10 years ago. There is no way any car company would design a system that would discharge refrigerant into the environment. Think about it. Makes no sense.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:53 AM

Mein Auto: 03 Z4 3.0i
These are mostly 2011 cars and newer with the issue. But I see what your saying. I was also scratching my head. How is a brand new car going to leak over a pound of refrifgrant a year. But they are getting cars in on a daily basis with low refrigerant. BMW is getting very cheap with there cars it seems.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:51 PM

Mein Auto: '03 Z4 2.5i Silver/Black
I took this picture a few weeks ago here in SC.
Two things....first one is funny.

I drink hot coffee all the time, even in the summer. I left my coffee mug in the car that day and to my pleasant surprise when i noticed it and thought "oh man i wasted a good cup of coffee" i grabbed the mug and drank a little and it was still pretty hot.

An old friend of mine (Indian engineer works for Cummins...very smart guy) always rolled all 4 windows down and got driving like that...i always thought it was an annoying habit. One day I asked him why he did that. He told me basically the same thing Jake said in his post. Also added that by driving off with windows down for even just 30 seconds it helped get hotter air out of the cabin and along with it the fumes from the inside of the cabin (glue, fabric, plastic, vinyl, which sometimes are toxic). Then he asked me to try it in my car. I did it once and noticed the difference, now I do it everytime.