Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 08-08-2012, 12:31 PM

Mein Auto: 02 530i Sport
Cooling System Refresh - Stewart WP?

So the time has finally come to overhaul my cooling system. I just had a question, I was looking into getting the Stewart WP because of the various claimed advantages (SS impeller, good bearings, increased flow). I don't really have a problem with the price but my question is this: the rest of the cooling system will be restored with OEM parts (including behr Rad unless someone can convince me otherwise). Will the Stewart water pump and its increased "flow" make the other parts inclined to fail faster? Or will I be ok with all stock minus the Stewart?
Advertisement
Old 08-08-2012, 01:26 PM
BMW ****ie

Mein Auto: 530i Sport Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbsmith View Post
So the time has finally come to overhaul my cooling system. I just had a question, I was looking into getting the Stewart WP because of the various claimed advantages (SS impeller, good bearings, increased flow). I don't really have a problem with the price but my question is this: the rest of the cooling system will be restored with OEM parts (including behr Rad unless someone can convince me otherwise). Will the Stewart water pump and its increased "flow" make the other parts inclined to fail faster? Or will I be ok with all stock minus the Stewart?
IMHO science says you are adding additional stress to the belt for additional flow. That being said I would think that the stress is virtually insignificant in relation to total stress exerted on the belt.

If had to wager my guess is the added stress will make a part fail in 9.6 years vs 10 years. This could be offset from the ever so slightly cooler engine.

In other words, no studies have been done on this but I do not hear of any major issues associated with the Stewart Pump.

==> As for me, I'd simply switch to the same OEM pump flow with metal impellers vs the standard plastic impellers. My car was optimized to run at a preset temperature and I want to keep it there. The engineers factored in metal expansion based on heat when they made these cars which is one reason they run smoother AFTER they warm up. Colder does not equate to better. Optimum operating temperature is the target to shoot for.

Last edited by seemyad; 08-08-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:02 PM

Well I'm actually having all the belts and tensioners done at the same time so ill be ok there.

And it shouldn't make it run cooler since the thermostat controls that, it should just allow the system to cool more effectively if it desires (???)

I think anyway...
Old 08-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
The Stewart water pump has limited advantages. While flowrate is higher, it serves no tangible benefit, since the operating temp is controlled by the thermostat. I would think that the Stewart is built of higher quality components (bearings, shaft, etc.) to greater precision. This should translate to increased durability. Whether that is worth 4X the cost of an alternative WP (Behr, Hepu, etc.) is a subjective matter. I figure an alternative WP is good for about 100K. 2 replacements is the max I figure I will ever need. Hence, I just saved $120 for a different repair. FWIW, I used Hepu.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:37 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Kind of like a Bulova versus a Rolex: they both tell time. If the Bulova is quartz, it'll tell more accurate time.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:01 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
I typed /waterpump in the bestlinks and found this, among others:
- What brand of waterpump to buy (1)
Old 08-08-2012, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
From another forum, same question, and I quote myself:
"I was skeptical at first with the high performace Stewart WP, but I bit the bullet and purchased it. I also purchased the TMS underdrive pulleys. I was thinking lower rpm's & higher flow = stock flow, but longer bearing life on the WP.
The outcome is very positive: I believe I still get a tad more flow than the stock setup. I experience very RARELY temps of 96C in heavy stop-and-go traffic, and they last only a glimpse - seconds at most. With the stock WP, i experienced 98C steady in heavy traffic, with the max posted temp staying solid. When the original clutch fan bit the dust, the temps started to creep higher.
For warm weather states, the Stewart WP is a Godsend. Literally."
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 08-08-2012, 05:08 PM
BMW ****ie

Mein Auto: 530i Sport Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbsmith View Post
Well I'm actually having all the belts and tensioners done at the same time so ill be ok there.

And it shouldn't make it run cooler since the thermostat controls that, it should just allow the system to cool more effectively if it desires (???)

I think anyway...
You are correct about the thermostat opening at a preset temp. However increased heat transfer rate also impacts operating temp. Earlier this year someone posted before and after pics of the engine temp gauge.

The needle was pointing strait up before the Stewart WP. The needle was almost two needles width left of the center mark after the install.

We must consider the heat sensor is in a fixed location of the engine. Thus the heat was being transferred away from that location at a greater rate.

If you are in a hot climate where even when the thermostat opens the heat exceeds optimum temps the added flow may be the route to go.

Last edited by seemyad; 08-08-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:43 AM

So your saying that a pump like the Hepu is probably the way to go? It does get pretty warm here, but it also gets pretty nippy in the winter.

Also my wallet is feeling a little thin today since a construction site curb decided to attack my wheel at speed yesterday.........
Old 08-09-2012, 09:04 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
I have had the HEPU now for 6 years, zero problems.

Save your money for beers!
Old 08-11-2012, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5sp - 192K mi
People often spend serious money for good looking wheels or other cosmetic enhancements for these cars. Spending $100 more for a heavy duty water pump with a lifetime warranty doesn't seem unreasonable. I've gone through several water pumps in the 12 years I've had my 528. The peace of mind of not having to worry about it any more is worth it to me. The extra output is a bonus.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:59 AM

Well, I really appreciate the input everyone! I ended up getting the HEPU WP because it seemed like it was the best combination of benefit to cost. Although the Stewart may have been a little bit better, I feel like that money could be better spent on some other maintainance or improvement (because the list never really ends does it?)

Ill keep you guys posted as to my impressions once I get the work done (also having all the belt related stuff done at the same time).
Old 08-11-2012, 07:20 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by daw View Post
Spending $100 more for a heavy duty water pump with a lifetime warranty doesn't seem unreasonable.
Personally, I wouldn't spend a penny for a so-called 'lifetime warranty'.

Details here:
- Deciding whether or not a replacement-part lifetime warranty make sense (1)

And, I'd use whatever water pump cn90 uses!

But here's a summary early on from the referenced thread ...
Quote:
BMW E39 Water Pump Suppliers:
--- top tier (I think) ---
1. Stewart EMP (some say they beef up the bearings to handle the metal)
2. Hepu (Cam like's em but I don't know much about 'em)
3. Geba (heavy cast metal impeller, bearings sometimes fail)
4. Graf welded steel impeller (better but also occasional bearing failure)
5. GMB (I think this is OE with composite plastic impellers???)
--- lower tier (I think) ---
6. Hella (I think this is OEM with composite plastic impellers)
7. Bosch (I don't know of any users who reported back on these)
8. Beck Arnley (they sell 'em but I don't know anyone using them)
9. Airtex (again, they sell 'em, but we'd have to hear from users first)
10. AC Delco (same as the last two above, they sell 'em)
11. A1 Cardone (they sell 'em, don't know much about 'em)
12. ??? please correct this list as needed so we all benefit ???

Last edited by bluebee; 08-11-2012 at 07:25 PM.