Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!

Sponsored by BimmerTech

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-30-2004, 08:16 PM
Dr. Phil's Avatar
Dr. Phil Dr. Phil is offline
The Original Dr. Phil
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,975
Send a message via AIM to Dr. Phil
Mein Auto: 2012 135 coupe
Wink Install done ..... for now

After a couple of weeks of work here and there, I finally got a semi complete ICE upgrade. Picked it back up tonight Included thus far in the system:

Head Unit - Clarion VRX935VD, MB Quart PCE 213 (in factory woofer and mid locations), MB Quart RCE 216 (in rear deck factory location as coax), Eclipse SW8122DVC 12" Aluminum sub, Zapco 360, Zapco 500, 2 Zapco SLB-TP4, Symbilink wire from convertors to amps, Stinger wires (power, ground, speaker, 1ft RCAs from brain to convertors), custom bow w/ plexiglass face, trim panel to encase box, amp rack to mount amps behind fold down seats and 4 neon blue accent tubes. Next week adding aux feed to video brain so I can plug stuff in quickly to the monitor and adding some insulation/mat to doors, as well as readjusting the tuning after some ear time.

Pics from tonight
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sub1.jpg
Views:	900
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	25557   Click image for larger version

Name:	sub2.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	25558   Click image for larger version

Name:	amps3.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	25559   Click image for larger version

Name:	amps4.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	25560   Click image for larger version

Name:	hu2.jpg
Views:	959
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	25561  

__________________
2012 135 Coupe Alpine/Black; M Sport, Premium 2, 7 sp/dual clutch, HK, Sirius, Apps, Nav, Heated Seats

Last edited by Dr. Phil; 01-30-2004 at 08:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 01-30-2004, 08:21 PM
Dr. Phil's Avatar
Dr. Phil Dr. Phil is offline
The Original Dr. Phil
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,975
Send a message via AIM to Dr. Phil
Mein Auto: 2012 135 coupe
The second attachment above shows the neon lighting the plexiglass. A few more pics that show head unit illumination ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	huclosed.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	25562   Click image for larger version

Name:	hu3fest.jpg
Views:	925
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	25563   Click image for larger version

Name:	hu1.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	25564  
__________________
2012 135 Coupe Alpine/Black; M Sport, Premium 2, 7 sp/dual clutch, HK, Sirius, Apps, Nav, Heated Seats

Last edited by Dr. Phil; 01-30-2004 at 08:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-31-2004, 04:09 AM
nealh nealh is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Tampa, FL
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,004
Mein Auto: 08 650i 'vert & 03 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Phil
The second attachment above shows the neon lighting the plexiglass. A few more pics that show head unit illumination ...
Is the whine gone???
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-31-2004, 05:37 AM
Dr. Phil's Avatar
Dr. Phil Dr. Phil is offline
The Original Dr. Phil
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,975
Send a message via AIM to Dr. Phil
Mein Auto: 2012 135 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealh
Is the whine gone???
!00% gone With the new hed unit and Zapco convertors, the sound quality has jumped off the charts
__________________
2012 135 Coupe Alpine/Black; M Sport, Premium 2, 7 sp/dual clutch, HK, Sirius, Apps, Nav, Heated Seats
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-31-2004, 05:51 AM
Alex Baumann Alex Baumann is offline
Ex-Dictator
Location: *
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 26,163
Mein Auto: Saab
Horry Morry !!

It's looking damn good !!

How do you like the sound ? Is it ?


Congrats !
__________________
"Effective leadership is not about making speeches or being liked; leadership is defined by results not attributes."
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-31-2004, 06:20 AM
Dr. Phil's Avatar
Dr. Phil Dr. Phil is offline
The Original Dr. Phil
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,975
Send a message via AIM to Dr. Phil
Mein Auto: 2012 135 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Baumann
Horry Morry !!

It's looking damn good !!

How do you like the sound ? Is it ?


Congrats !
The sound is fantastic I need to tune it a bit to bring the staging up to the front a tad more and also need to figure out all the adjustments on the head unit.

As for SPL I can get pretty loud if I desire
__________________
2012 135 Coupe Alpine/Black; M Sport, Premium 2, 7 sp/dual clutch, HK, Sirius, Apps, Nav, Heated Seats
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-31-2004, 06:50 AM
nealh nealh is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Tampa, FL
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,004
Mein Auto: 08 650i 'vert & 03 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Phil
The sound is fantastic I need to tune it a bit to bring the staging up to the front a tad more and also need to figure out all the adjustments on the head unit.

As for SPL I can get pretty loud if I desire

BTW what is a zapco converter is this a Hi/Lo converter?

I have no desire to change the HU..though the clarion you picked is awesome but the HU would cost almost as much as my entire upgrade....
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-31-2004, 08:48 AM
·clyde·'s Avatar
·clyde· ·clyde· is offline
OMGWTFBBQ
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 11,265
Mein Auto:
No matter how much I do hope that you enjoy it.










__________________
OH NOES!!!!!1 MY CAR HAS T3H UND3R5T33R5555!!!!!!1oneone!!!!11

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-31-2004, 08:56 AM
Plaz's Avatar
Plaz Plaz is offline
•••••••
Location: Churzee
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 16,136
Mein Auto: '11 1M;'08 MCS;'02 325iT
Congrats!

__________________
2011 1M
2008 MCS
2002 325iT
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-31-2004, 09:17 AM
Raffi's Avatar
Raffi Raffi is offline
Hi
Location: L.A.
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,483
Mein Auto: Frankenstein monster
Congrats!


__________________
'01 330ci
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-31-2004, 07:28 PM
Dr. Phil's Avatar
Dr. Phil Dr. Phil is offline
The Original Dr. Phil
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,975
Send a message via AIM to Dr. Phil
Mein Auto: 2012 135 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealh
BTW what is a zapco converter is this a Hi/Lo converter?

I have no desire to change the HU..though the clarion you picked is awesome but the HU would cost almost as much as my entire upgrade....
The convertor is a balanced line unit that takes short RCA runs from close to head unit and changes it to a Symbilink (basically firewire technology) cable to feed into the Zapco amps. It boost the signal up to 18 volts

I had no intention of doing head unit change but got bitten by the bug and I wnated to maximize sound quality and blinage
__________________
2012 135 Coupe Alpine/Black; M Sport, Premium 2, 7 sp/dual clutch, HK, Sirius, Apps, Nav, Heated Seats
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-01-2004, 06:20 AM
nealh nealh is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Tampa, FL
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,004
Mein Auto: 08 650i 'vert & 03 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Phil
The convertor is a balanced line unit that takes short RCA runs from close to head unit and changes it to a Symbilink (basically firewire technology) cable to feed into the Zapco amps. It boost the signal up to 18 volts

I had no intention of doing head unit change but got bitten by the bug and I wnated to maximize sound quality and blinage

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-01-2004, 07:58 AM
mquetel's Avatar
mquetel mquetel is offline
iPod and XM enabled
Location: Portland, OR
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,427
Mein Auto: 330Ci
Congrats, Dr. Phil! It defninitely looks (and I assume sounds)

When you have a chance, I would be interested in seing a daytime shot of the HU to see how it integrates with the dash.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-01-2004, 02:30 PM
Dr. Phil's Avatar
Dr. Phil Dr. Phil is offline
The Original Dr. Phil
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,975
Send a message via AIM to Dr. Phil
Mein Auto: 2012 135 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquetel
Congrats, Dr. Phil! It defninitely looks (and I assume sounds)

When you have a chance, I would be interested in seing a daytime shot of the HU to see how it integrates with the dash.
Will do
__________________
2012 135 Coupe Alpine/Black; M Sport, Premium 2, 7 sp/dual clutch, HK, Sirius, Apps, Nav, Heated Seats
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-27-2004, 07:14 AM
Ack's Avatar
Ack Ack is offline
In Mod Heaven
Location: B-lo, NY
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,766
Mein Auto: 2002 330Ci
Phil -

The system looks great! I haven't posted in awhile so I never saw this post. I also like your avatar

Have you setup the equalizer on the Clarion unit? You can mess with the Q setting and really vary the sound.

I'm itching to get my car back on the road. Only about 6 weeks left.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-27-2004, 07:54 AM
Dr. Phil's Avatar
Dr. Phil Dr. Phil is offline
The Original Dr. Phil
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,975
Send a message via AIM to Dr. Phil
Mein Auto: 2012 135 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ack
Phil -

The system looks great! I haven't posted in awhile so I never saw this post. I also like your avatar

Have you setup the equalizer on the Clarion unit? You can mess with the Q setting and really vary the sound.

I'm itching to get my car back on the road. Only about 6 weeks left.
Glad to hear from you. I am still not 100% sure of the Q settings What is the main purpose/affect on sound/etc My user custom setting is great up to ~ 25 volume and with non burnt CDs. In the 30 range or mp3's I find Impact to be better, not sure why.

I need to get my box tightened up a bit. My backroad adventures caused a slight shift In retrospect, I should have went fiberglass
__________________
2012 135 Coupe Alpine/Black; M Sport, Premium 2, 7 sp/dual clutch, HK, Sirius, Apps, Nav, Heated Seats
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-27-2004, 10:12 AM
Ack's Avatar
Ack Ack is offline
In Mod Heaven
Location: B-lo, NY
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,766
Mein Auto: 2002 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Phil
Glad to hear from you. I am still not 100% sure of the Q settings What is the main purpose/affect on sound/etc My user custom setting is great up to ~ 25 volume and with non burnt CDs. In the 30 range or mp3's I find Impact to be better, not sure why.

I need to get my box tightened up a bit. My backroad adventures caused a slight shift In retrospect, I should have went fiberglass
Truthfully, I have no clue what the Q even stands for. It took me awhile of messing around with the different settings to get it where I liked it. Now that my battery died though, I'm going to have to redo it. I think I'll write down my settings next time just in case this happens again.

Damn, you're listening all the way up to and over 25! My system is deafening at those volumes, esp. with DVD's. I usually listen at about 10-15 and maybe up to 18 or so in the summer with the windows down. Then again, my amp levels might be set at a higher level than yours.

I'm not surprised that your box is moving around; you do own a ZHP!

I'll be ripping my trunk apart in the spring and doing some custom fiberglass work with a buddy of mine. I want to recover some trunk space and reduce the amount of weight back there. I'm thinking of moving either the subs or the amps to the spare tire well. I'm still not sure though.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-27-2004, 04:19 PM
Boston Bimmer Boston Bimmer is offline
Registered User
Location: Boston
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 52
Mein Auto: 2004 330xi
Very nice setup !
I am going to have a similar setup, but a different head unit , installed soon
I was going with a subbox in the trunk, but i still have a nagging feeling that a nice fiberglass box along the right driver's side in the trunk would be nice - except the price is high!
There is a ton of wasted space behind the driver side trunk panel if you don't have the nav or cd setup
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-21-2004, 08:15 AM
jvr826's Avatar
jvr826 jvr826 is offline
Is it Trackday yet?
Location: In the woods. Santa Cruz County, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 8,824
Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
Dr. Phil -
Very impressive install and setup you have there. I can't imagine how incredible it sounds.

For my more modest system, I'm looking for matching carpet/material for the trunk liner in my 2002 E39. Were you able to find a match or did you cover over the entire trunk with new material?
__________________
Jeff R.
Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA - Autocross - Come Join Us!


"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-21-2004, 02:45 PM
Dr. Phil's Avatar
Dr. Phil Dr. Phil is offline
The Original Dr. Phil
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,975
Send a message via AIM to Dr. Phil
Mein Auto: 2012 135 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr530i
Dr. Phil -
Very impressive install and setup you have there. I can't imagine how incredible it sounds.

For my more modest system, I'm looking for matching carpet/material for the trunk liner in my 2002 E39. Were you able to find a match or did you cover over the entire trunk with new material?
The fabric is not an "exact match", I would say it is ~ 95% matching. As I plan on eventually redoing the trunk, I did not invest in a complete recovering
__________________
2012 135 Coupe Alpine/Black; M Sport, Premium 2, 7 sp/dual clutch, HK, Sirius, Apps, Nav, Heated Seats
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms