Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 07-29-2012, 10:26 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 05 M3 ZCP,04 z4,01 325iT
Upgrading from my e46 touring to an M3 coupe?

I'm in a pickle. I searched for more than 4 months to find my California e46 manual touring and thought that I was all set....that was until I took my z4 to my first day of driving school yesterday.

I want to start doing x-cross and track regularly...and I would have to upgrade so much to make the touring track/x-cross worthy (steering rack, short shift kit, etc) that now I am strongly considering selling the touring and upgrading to an M3 manual coupe. I bought the touring because I am a cyclist and like the idea of throwing my bike in the back of the car...but I took a close look at an e46 coupe yesterday and I think my bike will fit easily (for some reason I thought the e46 M3 didn't have fold down rear seats). And, the rear seat access isn't as bad as my old Integra (I am single, so I am mostly a solo or solo+passenger situation).

Has anyone done this (or similar) and regretted their choice?

"Don't be fooled, she drives with the aggression of a scorned 17 year old"
Ads by Google
Old 08-02-2012, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: '03 Z4 3.0i
I think I would prefer to use a roof rack instead of throwing a bike on the nice seat leather. Is a roof rack not an option?

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App

Brian
Old 08-08-2012, 01:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330i
What school will let you track the Z4 without a rollbar? Or was this autoX?

Can you get a bike through the trunk opening of an M3? That would seem difficult in my E46 sedan.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:05 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
A lot of non-BMW events will let you run with factory roll protection.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 08-09-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
A lot of non-BMW events will let you run with factory roll protection.
Ok, I did several non-BMW events and don't remember seeing any, but wasn't really paying attention.

I did an EMRA event - they solo'd you after 1 lap, and you could pass on the right or left. Bunch of cowboys.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:05 PM

@BD...fold down rear seats are the best thing evah! No need to dig up the leather. I prefer to store my bike in the car....as I had a catastrophic roof rack failure in college...lost 2 bikes that way!

@Chris...I did autoX events at Devens and NHMS. Have 1st track event at Mid-Ohio next month....and don't want to ruin my z4 with a roll cage.

Thought I found a great e46 M3 and was ready for PPI today..until seller decided that he didn't want to sell after all

Old 08-09-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieTechie View Post
@BD...fold down rear seats are the best thing evah! No need to dig up the leather. I prefer to store my bike in the car....as I had a catastrophic roof rack failure in college...lost 2 bikes that way!

@Chris...I did autoX events at Devens and NHMS. Have 1st track event at Mid-Ohio next month....and don't want to ruin my z4 with a roll cage.

Thought I found a great e46 M3 and was ready for PPI today..until seller decided that he didn't want to sell after all
You have to try the Canadian tracks, Mosport (10 hours away) and Mont Tremblant (5-6 hours away). Especially Tremblant, incredible track. I'm sure Mid Ohio is great but that's gotta be a long drive.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:36 PM

I grew up in the town next to Mid Ohio...spent some of my HS summers manning the concession stands....so I figured it's only fitting that it's my first track course. Thanks for the reinforcement about Tremblant...heard that's an incredible track. Too bad I couldn't combine a track weekend with a ski weekend. Now THAT would be worth the drive to Tremblant!!!

PS...love the sig quote!