Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-07-2012, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 3.0SI
Powerstop Brakes

Long time lurker, seldom poster.

I just bought the powerstop 1 click brake kit on Amazon. The kit has drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic pads.

I know there is a lot of debate about the need/value of drilled/slotted rotors and even more so about ceramic pads.

Debate aside - Has anyone ever used this brand of rotor/pad combo? I am a little worried as BMW OEM brakes have me spoiled. Reviews on the 'internets' all point to above average ratings and some even call these the best bang for the buck. I am a little worried as most of the reviews come from the point of view of non-BMW owners (not looking down at their choices but many of the cars on the market have crappy brakes)

I have seen some BMW owners call this setup a good option - equivalent but not superior to OEM brake - with added benefits of drilled/slotted rotors and the corresponding drawbacks.

For reference - I live in NJ and do about 50 miles of driving a day with occasional heavy breaking 60mph-10mph in heavy traffic.

I purchased them based on overwhelmingly positive review - despite the reference bias I speak of above. The BMW reviewers pushed me over the top. I also get the added benefit of an enhanced look (i know, i know, don;t mock me). I am a sucker for OEM+ look.

Anyone have any experience?

http://www.powerstop.com/products (1 click brake kit)
Advertisement
Old 08-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M3/X3/XI
I don't have this specific kit, but I do have these rotors installed on our X3 along with EBC brake pads front and rear. I think you will immediately notice the increased noise level. Under heavy braking, these rotors (due to the slots) make a heavy "groaning" sound. You'll see what I mean after you install them. My M3 has the European CSL brakes which are cross-drilled from the factory and they make considerably less noise since they are not slotted. I previously has cross-drilled/slotted rotors on the M3 and they were quite loud. Its a small sacrifice for me (possibly larger for others) to get increased braking power and reduced brake fade.

Last edited by chagrin; 08-10-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 330i / 2007 X3
Any slots or holes in a rotor will increase noise under heavy braking even in commuting conditions.

Now whether or not there is benefit of holes/slots under commuting conditions is another discussion.

Last edited by bluskye; 08-10-2012 at 11:08 AM.