Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 07-06-2012, 01:30 PM

Mein Auto: 84 528
Question Door window channel rubber

Have any of you replaced the weather rubber strip than wipes the door glass off and keeps water out?

I see that bavauto.com has it for $20 per side for rear and $15 per side for the front. Rock auto also list some but not specific to the car and I have not taken the channel off yet to see how it attachés.

The Bentley book shows to us a wedge to pop off the molding but the picture just does not look right??? I do have nylon chisels and they should word as good or better than a piece of wood that is wedge shaped. Any advice on removing it or is that the correct way?

Any advice on where else to buy the rubber piece would also be great.

We are going to have to replace the windshield soon and the piece that fits in the rubber looks real bad and my guess it will fall apart when it is removed. Any advice on it would help also. I doubt the glass company would have that being as old as the car is?

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2012, 02:30 PM
What was that noise??

Mein Auto: E28 M535i, E30 323i
I also have a need to replace my front ones as they are chipped and look terrible.
A mate of mine told me to simply remove them from the outside with the window down.
He said to just pry them up with a nylon trim removal tool, from directly over the chrome strip, obviously very very carefully.
New ones get forced back down and in.

Anybody else done this?
Old 08-09-2012, 06:11 PM

I bought some used one from a guy and still had a time doing it!! The molding didn't want to let loose from the front near the mirror but when I pulled the old one off the clip stayed in place so I installed the other old clips and then slid the rubber into it and then locked in the others. There are two small screws the are at the rear of the door that hold the trim in place and they have to be removed. One door had one and the other didn't?

The rear one I have not replaced yet. Having trouble with the windows going up and down because of to many years of not use so have to address that first and get them lubed up and then try it.

The Bentley books looks to be very simple and NOPE and it is a pain to do unless you have done them over and over aging and have it down to practice make perfect deal I guess.

Had to ask my wife how to spell perfect and she said AUDREY!!!!!!!!!!! Hell I knew that already

Buy the new one from bavauto.com and you should be good for a long time.

Last edited by duke1946; 08-09-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:45 AM
What was that noise??

Thanks duke,
Don't suppose you took any pics when you did it on the front doors, did you?
Old 08-10-2012, 06:21 AM

I would have had to have a camera crew to have done that and then all the frustration I was going through and hoping I was not going to screw up.

I had some of the nylon chisels but I really think if I had made a wedge it might have worked better. When I do the back ones I think I will try that.

With the chisels I had to pry up wards and I was sure I was going to mess the molding up.

What I need to do is ask the guy I bought my used ones from and see if he has a better way to do them? He told be he had dismantled over 15 over the years. He has a couple of drivers and sells parts to help out during the summer for some added income. He is a school teacher.

I will email him in a few min and see if he can give me a easy way. I will let you know what he says one way or the other.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:43 PM
What was that noise??

Thanks again,
This trim change over sounds harder than I thought.

I'm somewhat concerned about stuffing it up and doing damage, hence it'd be great to see exact positioning of wedges via pics and how many.
Is this trim held in place along the entire length or is it retained by several clips like at the top of the door card?

I have access to nylon trim removal tools but you're saying that timber wedges would be better.
Without sounding anal what size wedges would be best? I have a drop saw where I can cut any size easily.

Cheers,
PB
Old 08-10-2012, 04:47 PM

Have you got a Bentley repair manual? If you don't go buy one. It will show you a picture of what to use but that is it.

The guy that I have bought parts from told me he just uses and damn screwdriver and I hope he has better since than to use that if he ever want to do his own car. That is what you do when hitting a junk yard and you don't care what damage is done as long as you get what you want in good shape.

See if you get lucky and jut use Google and put in removing door trim to replace door glass rubber? Maybe you will luck out and find the same info or even better a video????????

I did no damage to our 84 but sure did get frustrated doing it. It went better on the other door.

Wish I could be more help but that is all I have
Old 08-10-2012, 04:57 PM

Have you got a Bentley repair manual? If you don't go buy one. It will show you a picture of what to use but that is it.

The guy that I have bought parts from told me he just uses and damn screwdriver and I hope he has better sense than to use that if he ever want to do his own car. That is what you do when hitting a junk yard and you don't care what damage is done as long as you get what you want in good shape.

See if you get lucky and just use Google and put in removing door trim to replace door glass rubber? Maybe you will luck out and find the same info or even better a video????????

I did no damage to our 84 but sure did get frustrated doing it. It went better on the other door.

Wish I could be more help but that is all I have

Well I tried a search again and no luck at all. it is just not out there unless you tpe in the right words and I don't have a clue what words are needed?????????

Last edited by duke1946; 08-11-2012 at 06:10 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:39 PM
What was that noise??

ok thanks mate.
I'll google it, see what I find
Old 08-11-2012, 06:08 AM

I think somewhere in my shop is a piece of 1/2" or thicker nylon. If I can find it I will make a wedge like the one in the book.

I still have to replace the ones on the back doors as soon as I get the glass to working smooth again.