Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 10-08-2011, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 bmw 525i touring
ok thanks.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:07 PM

Mein Auto: 95 525i wagon
transmission program intermitent
Old 02-02-2012, 02:16 PM

Mein Auto: 95 525i wagon
95 525i wagon new transmission/rebuilt 4L30e works fine goes to limp mod/display on dash trans program / see owner manuel intermitent cycle key will reset
Old 02-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Humble E34 lover

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Hey dogg. It would be better to post this as a new thread. Also try to give a little more info. I don't know a lot about the trans program error, but I have seen people post about it and they find that their alternator is faulty. There are a lot of other reasons that it could be doing that though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 02-07-2012, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: 95 530i
Coming from a Mercedes guy, these cars seem to be alot of hassle. I have a 530i v8 and didn't realize it would require so much attention. How much the whole coolant system replacement cost. Seems $$$
Old 02-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Humble E34 lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisp23 View Post
Coming from a Mercedes guy, these cars seem to be alot of hassle. I have a 530i v8 and didn't realize it would require so much attention. How much the whole coolant system replacement cost. Seems $$$
They do require a lot of TLC. A full on coolant overhaul should cost ~ $600 in parts online. You may be able to find a better deal if you find a kit for the full system.

Quote:
Steve

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 03-13-2012, 08:02 AM
Founder @ Maintenr

Mein Auto: 1995 540I/6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisp23 View Post
Your car is a lot of hassle due to improper maintaince by previous owners, it was up to you to inspect condition of coolant system prior to purchasing the vehicle.

///////////////////////////////////////////// E34 Addicts

Founder @ Maintenr. Take control of your vehicle maintenance.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: 1990 5301
Hi everyone....
Please bear with me, I am a rather girly girl without mechanical expertise but if my experience helps someone, it was worth trying to explain my overheat issues and resolution.
So.....she kept overheating, and hoses would burst, etc. I had thermostats replaced, radiators flushed, hoses burst and replaced...on and on and on...finally I researched and paid some mechanic 27$ for online advice and was told that this model often has problems with the fan....it doesn't stop turning...so mechanics miss it....but the silicone gets cracked or something like that and it turns SLOW....too slow to properly cool the car. I told the mechanic this, he replaced the fan and VOILA... she chugs along with the gauge at the perfect spot all the time! It is so fabulous!
Now...I had the shocks replaced and am having bizarre draining of the battery...been in the shop twice and it's still happening. The mechanic took out my chip to help with my atrocious mileage in the city (8 mpg), not sure what the chip was (Dinan?) but it did seem to help a little but now have this weird electrical problem which I described in another thread. Help anyone?
Old 08-11-2012, 09:20 AM

Mein Auto: '93 525iT (e34)
Great thread! Thanks for your hard work. No mention of the e34 front end shimmy (bad thrust/upper control arms) Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, I am new here. Oh, and...

[sarcasm]My back tire is flatter on the bottom than my other one. How do I even them out?[/sarcasm]
Old 08-11-2012, 11:02 AM
Humble E34 lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by =HPSF=roadrunne View Post
Great thread! Thanks for your hard work. No mention of the e34 front end shimmy (bad thrust/upper control arms) Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, I am new here. Oh, and...

[sarcasm]My back tire is flatter on the bottom than my other one. How do I even them out?[/sarcasm]
Yeah, the thread closed out (it would not let me update it) after a certain time frame and I never got to the shimmy issue.

The front end suspension and steering components wear out on these cars in about 100K mile intervals. The infamous shimmy usually occurs as you hit about 52 mph and continues until about 57 mph or so. The most common cause is worn thrust arms. It can be the bushing, ball joint or both. However, other worn components can cause it as well. It can also be brake rotors that are warped (although this usually only causes shimmy when braking) or out of balance wheels/tires. It is best to rebuild the entire front end all at once, but it can be costly if you plan to use premium parts.

I just rebuilt mine and the parts alone were about $660. Keep in mind that I used Lemforder parts because I plan to drive the car for another 150K miles if possible. A company called FCP Groton sells front end kits that are much, much less expensive. However, there are mixed reviews on the quality and durability of the FCP parts. It is a lot of work to rebuild the front end and I just didnít feel like gambling that I might have to do it again in short order if I used the less expensive parts.

If you are on a budget and want to try to eliminate the shimmy at the least cost possible, I would start with replacing the thrust arms. Mind you that there are special loading requirements when torqueing the bolts down. Unfortunately, I didnít follow those specific instructions because I did not have 500 pounds of ballast available. I am in the process of trying to come up with a way to produce the ballast (friends that weigh 150 pounds each, bricks in boxes, free weights, etc.) and plan to re-torque the bolts once I come up with a workable solution.

Good luck with getting your baby into shape.

PS: regarding your tire issue, you need to invert and rotate your flux capacitor hyper-inflator

Quote:
Steve

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 01-21-2013, 10:23 PM

Mein Auto: 520i e34
Great read again, another thing to check, love the m50
Old 06-03-2013, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: 1990 525i
Hello - Well, after reading all of this thread and watching the videos, it looks like I am not alone when trying to figure out my cooling problem. My ride is a 1990 525i, 159,xxx miles. The temp gage shows the engine is running hot, but I can not find anything else to tell me the temp is too high. No steam, no hissing noise from the radiator, no sign of a coolant leak from the head gasket (or anywhere else), ect. The thing that stumps me is how fast the temp gage goes up. According to the temp gage the engine is at operating temp within about 20 seconds of starting the car (engine dead cold at start up). I've never had a car that would warm up so fast! Is it normal for a 525i to warm up so fast?
Temp gage will slowly keep going up until it hits the 3/4 mark. Then vary slowly keep going up a little more. Looks like the needle will barley get into the red when the engine is ideling for an extended amount of time (as an example, I had the car ideling in my driveway for about 20 minuets, temp gage needle was just barley touching the red. While driving down the road, needle was not in the red, but was a little bit past the 3/4 mark on the gage. Turn the heater on full blast, the gage will go down a little. Rev the engine to 2500 RMP & hold it there, the temp gage goes down a little more).
Is it possible that the temp gage is not accurate, or is there an actual cooling problem? Is there a way to tell the temp of an engine other than going by the temp gage (some sort of diagnostic tool)? Is there a way to test the temp gage itself?
I just replaced both temp sensors (the 2 in the t-stat housing), no change in the temp gage. Check engine light was on, code was for a temp sensor. Check engine light went out once the 2 sensors were replaced. Coolant level was a little low, but not much. I topped off the coolant, no change in the temp gage.
Previous owner said he replaced the t-stat, t-stat housing & water pump. Maybe a few hundred miles on the car since these parts were replaced. I have no idea which t-stat he used, or what brand the parts are.
Temp going up to the red while ideling leads me to believe the problem is with the fan, or fan clutch (not enough air flow over the engine???). But i'm confused by how fast the engine warms up.
I'm a little hesitant to overhaul the entire cooling system if the problem is just the gage, but I also don't want to damage the engine. After watching the videos in this thread, I now know how to check the fan clutch, but what else can I do about this problem?
Thanks in advance!
Old 06-04-2013, 07:30 AM

Mein Auto: 1990 5301
Jay, note my post above: it was the silicone around the fan that had worn out...thus the fan spun too slow (initially missed because the fan did indeed spin). When that taken care of the engine hasn't overheated even once in the past two years. I spent hundreds and hundreds to try to resolve the issue before that point...simple and cheap answer. Apparently it's a design defect, the silicone doesn't last....hope that helps!
Old 06-11-2013, 04:37 AM

Mein Auto: 525i
every time I turn on the sprinklers to clean the windshield they won't turn off, unless I restart the car. any ideas how to fix this?

thanks
Old 06-11-2013, 05:46 AM
Humble E34 lover

You didn't tell us what year car you have

If it is a 91-95, there is a washer pump relay located in the front power distribution box which is on the driver's side (here in the states - not sure if yours is opposite). I would check that. It seems that perhaps the contacts within the relay may be sticking. It would probably be an inexpensive relay.

It is covered on page 610-1 of the Bentley manual.

Hope this helps mate

Quote:
Steve

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 06-11-2013, 07:18 AM

yes my steering wheel is on the right side as for the manual, the hard copy I gave it away when I sold my 89 model because I didn't imagine I will miss it so much and buy another one, and my hard drive sort-of burned las week and I kinda lost everything. But thanks for the info, I will look for a manual now and see how it goes

thanks
Old 07-20-2013, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: 89 BMW 5351
Question Car stalling while driving

Hi guys i need help! I have a 89 BMW 535i 5 speed, it was having problems starting it would take a few cranks before it started. I took it to a mechanic and he did a tune up (changed the spark plugs, gas filter ect) he stated that my gas line had a lot of air in them for some reason after the car was cranking fine after driving it on the freeway it stalled on me twice and started the cranking issue again. now i cant go one mile with out the car stalling on me. It seems worse then before pleas help.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:45 AM
New to S5X Tinkering

Mein Auto: 1995 e34 S52b32/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by renia_02 View Post
Hi guys i need help! I have a 89 BMW 535i 5 speed, it was having problems starting it would take a few cranks before it started. I took it to a mechanic and he did a tune up (changed the spark plugs, gas filter ect) he stated that my gas line had a lot of air in them for some reason after the car was cranking fine after driving it on the freeway it stalled on me twice and started the cranking issue again. now i cant go one mile with out the car stalling on me. It seems worse then before pleas help.
Best to make a thread about the issue or research the problem.
Very few of the vets check this. It's mostly info for the new comers.

And welcome to the fest

Every once in a while the Lion has to show the Jackals who he is...
- Christopher Walken "The Lion Speech"
95 e34 525 5 spd S52 Swap... The new Garden State Grocery Getter projekt.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:42 PM

hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by renia_02 View Post
I would go as far as saying that you have a faulty fuel pump. You said the mechanic changed the fuel filter and it was working fine for a while. Maybe you have a dirty fuel tank, and all that rubbish from the bottom is pushed thru the fuel lines. If I were you, I would take the fuel tank out, give it a good clean and replace the fuel filter and the fuel pump. For the fuel pump you should get a brand new pump and the rest of the assembly you can get it from the wreckers. Or you should get the whole thing from the wreckers: fuel pump+fuel level sensor but get warranty from them to make sure it's 100% working. And clean your fuel tank. Whatever you do, try not to test the fuel pump outside the tank as you can easily burn it.

Good luck
Old 07-20-2013, 04:30 PM
New to S5X Tinkering

Mein Auto: 1995 e34 S52b32/5
Having no fuel, spark, air or any of these in combination will cause what your describing.
(as of late it seems to be running rampant)

If your plugs, and fuel filter has been addressed. There are other culprits:
In need of a valve adjustment (M20, M30 specific... which really wouldn't make you stall it would just run like crap)
ICV,
Distributor,
Rotor button,
Fuel pressure regulator
Vacuum Leak
Bad fuel and/ or main relay
Bad AFM
Bad O2 sensor
Bad ignition coil
Bad plug wires
Bad crank position sensor

If you had air in the line at any point (which isn't common but not unheard of) I would take a guess and say the FPR.
The idea of air in the lines I would guess to mean no pressure in the gas line. FPR regulates this.

I say this only because I've disconnected the fuel systems many times in many different location in my 535i.
Actually depressurizing the system is a requirement with some repairs.
That said never once have I had a issue with air in the line unless I swapped the send and return lines.
(which means I starved the engine... not related to what your stating).

This is why I said make a thread dedicated to your issue so it can be discussed further in detail.
Plus you'd be able to give us more info thus not clogging this thread.

Look forward to further assisting you.

Every once in a while the Lion has to show the Jackals who he is...
- Christopher Walken "The Lion Speech"
95 e34 525 5 spd S52 Swap... The new Garden State Grocery Getter projekt.

Last edited by MySatinDoll; 07-20-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:08 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to seanpreston Send a message via Skype™ to seanpreston
Mein Auto: 91 525i
my first

Can anyone help me getting a 91 BMW 525i is it to much to take on. It been taken care of it just. My first and I'm not Ritchie rich. Should I do it or not am I in over my head?
Old 10-20-2013, 09:40 AM

Mein Auto: 525
Window driver repair
Old 12-17-2013, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 525i
This is a wonderful sticky you've put together! It's already gotten me on the right path toward being a responsible 525i owner.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:14 PM
Nothin like an E34

Mein Auto: 95 540i B/B
Yes it is, ooooooo another E34 owner from NC!!!!!!

Gotta love an E34!!
If you want to get junkyard parts remember one thing, if it was wrecked you know it was running/driving. You may not know how well, but it was.

READ THE STICKIES AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE!!

STOMP TEST

READ ME IM THE BIBLE

FAN CLUTCH

LOCKS

ANGEL EYES
Old 12-17-2013, 07:17 PM
Humble E34 lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95-540sport View Post
.....ooooooo another E34 owner from NC!!!!!!

Quote:
Steve

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold