Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:01 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
1-8 Shortcut Keys - What Are Yours?

I'll start:

1: Split-screen off
2: Split-screen on, arrow mode
3: Split-screen on, entertainment details.
4: AM, Station WFAN
5: Sirius, Station 20 on 20
6: iPod, Play Last Position
7: Nav, Start Guidance Home
8: Phone, Dial Home

Buttons 1-3: I do a lot of driving with the nav and like to have a quick ability to toggle between full screen and the two most important split-screens.

Buttons 4-6: I like having one-push access to instantly start one of the three audio input modes. Prevents the need to hit "Radio" and then scroll down to "Satellite" or "AM". Same for iPod.

Shortcut Keys that can't happen (yet should): iPod Playlists, Traffic Alerts, Recent Destinations.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Ads by Google
Old 08-12-2012, 12:06 PM
BeachBitch

Mein Auto: 2013 640i Gran Coupe
I am lazy today. Could you please provide me a quick "For Dummies" quite to do this. Thanks in advance. BTW I like your choices and will probably duplicate them myself.

My Car:

1994 E36 Convertible (Inherited from my Loving Father)

2013 640i Gran Coupe
Carbon Black Metallic
Ivory White Nappa
Everything but B&O, Night Vision and Active Cruise Control.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlLuvMyBMW640 View Post
I am lazy today. Could you please provide me a quick "For Dummies" quite to do this. Thanks in advance. BTW I like your choices and will probably duplicate them myself.
Navigate in iDrive to a function, push and hold the shortcut key you want it associated with.

Example: Menu > Navigation > Destinations > "Home Address" > Start (don't press 'start', just have the border around it). Then push and hold Button 1.

From that point forward, a press on Button 1 will start navigating you home without any additional input or effort.

A neat BMW feature: If you gently touch (not press) a shortcut button a banner appears on the screen that tells you what you've programmed there.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 08-12-2012, 12:20 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
BJ, you're late to the party. This thread was already done last year when the F30 first hit the market. Search for that thread and continue there.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 08-12-2012, 01:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post
BJ, you're late to the party. This thread was already done last year when the F30 first hit the market. Search for that thread and continue there.
Or in 2009:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ghlight=preset

Old 08-12-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post
Sorry about that. Just searched for it and can't find it. Can you post a link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyandRich View Post
Or in 2009:

[url]http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348425&highlight=preset[/url
No F30 owner cares to see what E90 owners are doing with their presets as we don't socialize with the used car crowd.

BJ

Old 08-12-2012, 01:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
[QUOTE=boltjaM3s;700605

No F30 owner cares to see what E90 owners are doing with their presets as we don't socialize with the used car crowd.

BJ[/QUOTE]
Now now lighten up The last time I looked we were all BMW owners.
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 08-12-2012, 04:12 PM
BeachBitch

Mein Auto: 2013 640i Gran Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Navigate in iDrive to a function, push and hold the shortcut key you want it associated with.

Example: Menu > Navigation > Destinations > "Home Address" > Start (don't press 'start', just have the border around it). Then push and hold Button 1.

From that point forward, a press on Button 1 will start navigating you home without any additional input or effort.

A neat BMW feature: If you gently touch (not press) a shortcut button a banner appears on the screen that tells you what you've programmed there.

BJ
Thank you very much.

My Car:

1994 E36 Convertible (Inherited from my Loving Father)

2013 640i Gran Coupe
Carbon Black Metallic
Ivory White Nappa
Everything but B&O, Night Vision and Active Cruise Control.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:29 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
I'll start:

Buttons 1-3: I do a lot of driving with the nav and like to have a quick ability to toggle between full screen and the two most important split-screens.

Buttons 4-6: I like having one-push access to instantly start one of the three audio input modes. Prevents the need to hit "Radio" and then scroll down to "Satellite" or "AM". Same for iPod.

Shortcut Keys that can't happen (yet should): iPod Playlists, Traffic Alerts, Recent Destinations.

BJ
Open up a spot. You have voice command. Dial home by voice. Push the button on the steering wheel. Say, "Dial name.". Then "Home."

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 12-18-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugH View Post
Outstanding post, BJ. Our 328 should be arriving within the next 10 days. It has both HUD and navigation. I have saved your post so I can implement it and make my wife's life simpler. She is one of those people that's afraid to use anything new, although we've had nav in our last two cars, we haven't had a car with iDrive yet.
Try these (my latest):

4: Radio Station WFAN
5: iPod, Play Last Position
6: Nav, Directions List View
7: Nav, Stop Navigation
8: Nav, Start Guidance Home

Buttons 4-5: I like having one-push access to instantly start one of the three audio input modes. Prevents the need to hit "Radio" and then scroll down to "Satellite" or "AM". If you make the shortcut from your list of Presets on the HUD you can scroll through all the different stations regardless of what source they come from. Same for iPod, starts playing last position, HUD for song lists.

Buttons 6-8: One touch ability to navigate Home, list of directions much easier to find, and end navigation.

BJ

Old 12-18-2012, 10:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
You would think 8 buttons is enough, and honestly, I don't think they should add anymore, because once you start having more than 8, then they're probably going over the top...

But, right off the top of my head, I see a need for 3 buttons dedicated to my family. 1) Wife's cell phone, 2) Daughter's cell phone, 3) Son's cell phone.

Plus, I'd like to add several channels for Sirius, and I like all those that BJ put out there...
Old 12-18-2012, 10:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport
Quote:
Try these (my latest):

4: Radio Station WFAN
5: iPod, Play Last Position
6: Nav, Directions List View
7: Nav, Stop Navigation
8: Nav, Start Guidance Home

Buttons 4-5: I like having one-push access to instantly start one of the three audio input modes. Prevents the need to hit "Radio" and then scroll down to "Satellite" or "AM". If you make the shortcut from your list of Presets on the HUD you can scroll through all the different stations regardless of what source they come from. Same for iPod, starts playing last position, HUD for song lists.

Buttons 6-8: One touch ability to navigate Home, list of directions much easier to find, and end navigation.

BJ
+1
Except Joe & Evan
Old 12-18-2012, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
So far:

1. Radio Presets
2. Nav Map View
6. Eco Pro Analyzer. Been playing with it a bit, honestly this is gonna be booted out for something more useful.
7. Silly Hybrid animations because every passenger wants to see "that Prius screen"
8. Trip Computer

Still contemplating what to use the other buttons for
Old 12-18-2012, 11:56 AM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Mein Auto: F30 335i MSpt- Mus GT 5.0
I presume that the shortcut buttons are saved with the driver's key. Where as I might have a button set to a local sports station, my wife might have the same button set for NPR. Am I right about this? Once I've got the station I want, can I scroll through other other preset radio stations, or is it better to set the button as jdong has above, "1. Radio Presets."

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut
Pkgs-Prem/ DHP/ Tech/ DA/DA+ Opts- 8Sprt AT/ Htd FS/ HK/ Hi Bm Asst/ 403 19" w/perf

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
Old 12-18-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsbuc View Post
I presume that the shortcut buttons are saved with the driver's key. Where as I might have a button set to a local sports station, my wife might have the same button set for NPR. Am I right about this? Once I've got the station I want, can I scroll through other other preset radio stations, or is it better to set the button as jdong has above, "1. Radio Presets."

Yes, they are key specific. Your fob and your wife's fob will have different discrete preset settings.

I dedicate one key as a shortcut to the radio stations Presets list and it defaults to my favorite station in that list. Then all you have to do is use the scroll wheel on the steering wheel and change stations on the HUD. It opens up the rest of the shortcut keys for things other than radio stations.

Your wife can make her own list of Presets that will be specific to her key, so her default favorite station can be NPR whereas yours might be sports radio.

(Note to others reading this: the radio Presets is a list of 40 radio stations that you can customize in iDrive. The shortcut keys are the 1-8 buttons on the dashboard. They are two separate things.)

BJ

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 12-18-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i
BJ, thanks that was helpful. Can't wait to try some of this if my car ever gets out of port and into the US.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:37 PM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Still haven't figured out the buttons, time to read the user's manual amidst holiday festivities.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:42 PM
Software Engineer

Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Quote:
I'll start:

BJ
wait, how do you get entertainment details on the split screen? From what I've seen I only have the option to turn it on or off but not whats displayed so its always navigation.

1. Call wife
2. Call parents
3. BBC Radio 1
4. BBC World Radio
5. I forget...
6. Consumption history
7. Messages
8. Directions home

2013 335i Sport | Mineral White | Leather Dakota Everest Grey | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Auto high beams | Parking Assistant | 6MT

My 335i Photo Gallery
Old 12-18-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
Still haven't figured out the buttons, time to read the user's manual amidst holiday festivities.
The buttons are merely shortcuts to almost every function in the iDrive system so that you have one-button access and don't have to drill through numerous menus to get to them.

Many owners think of them merely as radio station buttons, and they are so much more than that.

As an example, BMW has buried the function that shows you the full, sequential list of turn-by-turn directions when you are navigating to a destination. It's there, but it requires a whole bunch of option button presses, wheel turns, back buttons, etc. Once you've located the function in iDrive, you merely put the focus (the red box) on that item and then press and hold a corresponding 1-8 shortcut button and its now there at your fingertips. Very cool to have a car that offers that level of customization.

BJ

Old 12-18-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golovko View Post
wait, how do you get entertainment details on the split screen? From what I've seen I only have the option to turn it on or off but not whats displayed so its always navigation.
From memory....you start your music playing, then go to the Radio screen, then hit the option button, and then the split screen option for entertainment details appears.

You have to go to either the iPod screen or the Radio screen in iDrive in order to find the specific shortcut that says turn "entertainment details" split screen. That's how I can toggle between the two split screen displays using buttons 2 and 3 on the center stack.

If that doesn't work let me know, and I'll go down to the garage and play with it and figure out how I got there.

BJ

Old 12-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Mein Auto: F30 335i MSpt- Mus GT 5.0
Thanks BJ! Great info.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut
Pkgs-Prem/ DHP/ Tech/ DA/DA+ Opts- 8Sprt AT/ Htd FS/ HK/ Hi Bm Asst/ 403 19" w/perf

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
Old 12-18-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsbuc View Post
Thanks BJ! Great info.
See, status enthusiasts can be helpful here too.

BJ

Old 12-18-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
You would think 8 buttons is enough, and honestly, I don't think they should add anymore, because once you start having more than 8, then they're probably going over the top...

But, right off the top of my head, I see a need for 3 buttons dedicated to my family. 1) Wife's cell phone, 2) Daughter's cell phone, 3) Son's cell phone.

Plus, I'd like to add several channels for Sirius, and I like all those that BJ put out there...
I figured out a way to prioritize cell phone numbers so that they appear the moment you hit the Phone button on the iDrive controller. As result, you don't need to tie up any of the 1-8 console shortcut buttons for that function.

The way it works now, you hit Phone, it defaults to the address book, but it's in alphabetical order. So many of the favorites that you would be dialing frequently are buried hundreds of entries below.

The workaround for this is to add a "period" before the name of the address book entry. iDrive prioritizes certain symbols ahead of letters and numbers. So on my iPhone, I've added eight duplicate phone numbers and changed the names thusly:

"Home" is duplicated as .Home

"My Wife" is now split as .Wife Mobile and .Wife Work

Once you set up these duplicates with just phone numbers and add the "period" before the first letter of the person's name, they will appear on the very first screen the second you hit the phone button on the iDrive controller.

From an iPhone standpoint, the duplicates do not appear in your favorites and don't add clutter to your core address book on that device.

BJ

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 12-18-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:
I figured out a way to prioritize cell phone numbers so that they appear the moment you hit the Phone button on the iDrive controller. As result, you don't need to tie up any of the 1-8 console shortcut buttons for that function.

The way it works now, you hit Phone, it defaults to the address book, but it's in alphabetical order. So many of the favorites that you would be dialing frequently are buried hundreds of entries below.

The workaround for this is to add a "period" before the name of the address book entry. iDrive prioritizes certain symbols ahead of letters and numbers. So on my iPhone, I've added eight duplicate phone numbers and changed the names thusly:

Once you set up these duplicates with just phone numbers and add the "period" before the first letter of the person's name, they will appear on the very first screen the second you hit the phone button on the iDrive controller.

From an iPhone standpoint, the duplicates do not appear in your favorites and don't add clutter to your core address book on that device.

BJ
You gave me this tip a while back BJ and it's excellent, thank you!!!
Old 12-18-2012, 04:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:

BJ
Cool.