Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 08-12-2012, 08:02 AM
sdg1871 sdg1871 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 818
Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan Stage 2 550xi
Well guess what happened this
Morning??? The same drivetrain malfunction/power reduction warning. Now the car shudders like crazy-like a funny car. I knew the dealer had no clue the last time. Could it be the HPFP???
__________________
2012 Dinan Stage 2 550i xDrive M Sport, Imperial Blue Metallic, Cinnamon Brown Leather and Light Wood Trim. Major options are M Sport package, cold weather package, sport automatic transmission, active roll stabilization, premium sound, and side and top view cameras.

Dearly departed BMWs: 2009 550i M Sport in Carbon Black Metallic and 2003 540i M Sport in Titanium Silver
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 08-12-2012, 08:19 AM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is online now
0-60 in 4 secs or less!
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,708
Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Sorry to hear that the dealer missed the real problem. I thought the HPFP failures were leaving guys stuck on the side of the road.
__________________


2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 08-12-2012, 08:21 AM
sdg1871 sdg1871 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 818
Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan Stage 2 550xi
I don't know if it is the HPFP. The car is shuddering like crazy even when idling. Feels like a funny car. If this keeps up and they can't figure it out, I'll be asking them to remove the flash and giving me my money back. I love the extra power but I certainly need a working car as I only have one
__________________
2012 Dinan Stage 2 550i xDrive M Sport, Imperial Blue Metallic, Cinnamon Brown Leather and Light Wood Trim. Major options are M Sport package, cold weather package, sport automatic transmission, active roll stabilization, premium sound, and side and top view cameras.

Dearly departed BMWs: 2009 550i M Sport in Carbon Black Metallic and 2003 540i M Sport in Titanium Silver
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 08-12-2012, 10:01 AM
Stealth.Pilot's Avatar
Stealth.Pilot Stealth.Pilot is offline
The Driver
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,558
Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg1871 View Post
I don't know if it is the HPFP. The car is shuddering like crazy even when idling. Feels like a funny car. If this keeps up and they can't figure it out, I'll be asking them to remove the flash and giving me my money back. I love the extra power but I certainly need a working car as I only have one
If it keeps happening you will be eligible for the lemon law.

I have no idea what it is. If I were to speculate, I would say either fuel pump, fuel sensor or ECU. I had a similar issue with my 2001 330Cic and it turned out to be the ECU.
__________________

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 08-12-2012, 10:07 AM
sdg1871 sdg1871 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 818
Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan Stage 2 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
If it keeps happening you will be eligible for the lemon law.

I have no idea what it is. If I were to speculate, I would say either fuel pump, fuel sensor or ECU. I had a similar issue with my 2001 330Cic and it turned out to be the ECU.
Correct if it happens a third time and they're not able to fix it I will be seeking relief under the lemon law. Hopefully that won't be necessary and they can fix it as I do love the way I've configured the car
__________________
2012 Dinan Stage 2 550i xDrive M Sport, Imperial Blue Metallic, Cinnamon Brown Leather and Light Wood Trim. Major options are M Sport package, cold weather package, sport automatic transmission, active roll stabilization, premium sound, and side and top view cameras.

Dearly departed BMWs: 2009 550i M Sport in Carbon Black Metallic and 2003 540i M Sport in Titanium Silver
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 08-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Stealth8 Stealth8 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 163
Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg1871 View Post
Correct if it happens a third time and they're not able to fix it I will be seeking relief under the lemon law. Hopefully that won't be necessary and they can fix it as I do love the way I've configured the car
Talk to your attorney first before threatening the dealer or getting too tough. Your election to add Dinan S2 may significantly impact the refund of car claim, although if the Dealer is a dinan dealer and did the work, this may help you. Will dinan repurchase the car?
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 08-13-2012, 01:33 PM
Hunter5179 Hunter5179 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago, Illinois
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 109
Mein Auto: 2012 F10 550xi M-Sport
The extended warranty is now closer to 2k than 4K when building an F10 online. My car's Stage 4 is almost done. Waiting for the dealer to call me so I can test it out
__________________
2013 M6 Coupe SG, HRE P101's 21, Akropovic Evo Carbon, AMS DP's, Vorsteiner Full Aero, Gruppe M Intake, Bel Stir Plus & V1 with HP Laser Interceptors, JL 2X12W6Subs, 35%tints.

Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 08-13-2012, 02:17 PM
Stealth.Pilot's Avatar
Stealth.Pilot Stealth.Pilot is offline
The Driver
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,558
Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth8 View Post
Talk to your attorney first before threatening the dealer or getting too tough. Your election to add Dinan S2 may significantly impact the refund of car claim, although if the Dealer is a dinan dealer and did the work, this may help you. Will dinan repurchase the car?
The fact that he capitalized the dinan is part of his lease means the Dinan should be covered by the lemon law.
__________________

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 08-13-2012, 03:28 PM
sdg1871 sdg1871 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 818
Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan Stage 2 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
The fact that he capitalized the dinan is part of his lease means the Dinan should be covered by the lemon law.
Hopefully this will get fixed. I'd sooner lose the flash (if I get my money refunded) than lemon the car. In the meanwhile Prestige set me up with a 2011 Deep Sea Blue loaded 535i with sport package.
__________________
2012 Dinan Stage 2 550i xDrive M Sport, Imperial Blue Metallic, Cinnamon Brown Leather and Light Wood Trim. Major options are M Sport package, cold weather package, sport automatic transmission, active roll stabilization, premium sound, and side and top view cameras.

Dearly departed BMWs: 2009 550i M Sport in Carbon Black Metallic and 2003 540i M Sport in Titanium Silver
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 08-13-2012, 03:44 PM
Hunter5179 Hunter5179 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago, Illinois
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 109
Mein Auto: 2012 F10 550xi M-Sport
Have you told them to remove the tune so u can drive it for a few days and see if anything happens?
__________________
2013 M6 Coupe SG, HRE P101's 21, Akropovic Evo Carbon, AMS DP's, Vorsteiner Full Aero, Gruppe M Intake, Bel Stir Plus & V1 with HP Laser Interceptors, JL 2X12W6Subs, 35%tints.

Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 08-13-2012, 04:39 PM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is online now
0-60 in 4 secs or less!
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,708
Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter5179 View Post
Have you told them to remove the tune so u can drive it for a few days and see if anything happens?
Sorry for the Off Topic, but Stage 4 Intercoolers? Please share everything you know.
__________________


2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 08-13-2012, 04:49 PM
Hunter5179 Hunter5179 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago, Illinois
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 109
Mein Auto: 2012 F10 550xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Sorry for the Off Topic, but Stage 4 Intercoolers? Please share everything you know.
Sure, Dinan came out with stage 4 tune which comes with new intercoolers that are 24% bigger than the stock intercoolers. They say the gain to the wheels is 20hp & 10tq and that's on the conservative side. I'm going to have my car put on the dyno hopefully next week. Stage 5 intake and high flow oil coolers could possibly push the 550 close to if not over 600hp
__________________
2013 M6 Coupe SG, HRE P101's 21, Akropovic Evo Carbon, AMS DP's, Vorsteiner Full Aero, Gruppe M Intake, Bel Stir Plus & V1 with HP Laser Interceptors, JL 2X12W6Subs, 35%tints.

Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 08-13-2012, 05:39 PM
joseyu joseyu is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Buffalo Grove, IL
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 228
Mein Auto: 2012 550i xDrive
What about cost? Also, do you have to do the exhaust before the intercooler and intake?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter5179 View Post
Sure, Dinan came out with stage 4 tune which comes with new intercoolers that are 24% bigger than the stock intercoolers. They say the gain to the wheels is 20hp & 10tq and that's on the conservative side. I'm going to have my car put on the dyno hopefully next week. Stage 5 intake and high flow oil coolers could possibly push the 550 close to if not over 600hp
__________________
14 MB GL550 - Fully Loaded (On Order)

14 Porsche Boxster S - http://www.porsche-code.com/PED27M31

12 BMW 550i xDrive (Dinan S5, Intercoolers, Exhaust, Springs/Shockware, Negative Camber/Low Compliance Arms & Intake; 3M CR40; AG M355, Michelin PSS & Tikore Ti Lugs) - Alpine White, Beige, M Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, ARS, Sport Auto, Power Shades, Side/Top Cameras, HUD & BMW Apps.

13 Infiniti JX35 AWD (Gone)

07 BMW 550i (Gone)

09 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 (Gone)
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 08-13-2012, 05:57 PM
sdg1871 sdg1871 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 818
Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan Stage 2 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter5179 View Post
Have you told them to remove the tune so u can drive it for a few days and see if anything happens?
Not yet
__________________
2012 Dinan Stage 2 550i xDrive M Sport, Imperial Blue Metallic, Cinnamon Brown Leather and Light Wood Trim. Major options are M Sport package, cold weather package, sport automatic transmission, active roll stabilization, premium sound, and side and top view cameras.

Dearly departed BMWs: 2009 550i M Sport in Carbon Black Metallic and 2003 540i M Sport in Titanium Silver
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 08-13-2012, 06:05 PM
Hunter5179 Hunter5179 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago, Illinois
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 109
Mein Auto: 2012 F10 550xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseyu View Post
What about cost? Also, do you have to do the exhaust before the intercooler and intake?

Thanks!
The actual stage 4 tune upgrade from 3 to 4 is only $200 u.s however the intercoolers are $2400 and then the 6hr shop time it states needed for the install so debating on where u have it done the shop rate could vary. Technically you have to have the exhaust or a system of your choice before getting 3 and obviously 4 but since its only a Yes/No question before installing I'm sure u can do it without but I don't know why someone would want to.
__________________
2013 M6 Coupe SG, HRE P101's 21, Akropovic Evo Carbon, AMS DP's, Vorsteiner Full Aero, Gruppe M Intake, Bel Stir Plus & V1 with HP Laser Interceptors, JL 2X12W6Subs, 35%tints.

Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 08-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Hunter5179 Hunter5179 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago, Illinois
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 109
Mein Auto: 2012 F10 550xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg1871 View Post
Not yet
Try that.....I don't think its the tune.
__________________
2013 M6 Coupe SG, HRE P101's 21, Akropovic Evo Carbon, AMS DP's, Vorsteiner Full Aero, Gruppe M Intake, Bel Stir Plus & V1 with HP Laser Interceptors, JL 2X12W6Subs, 35%tints.

Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 08-13-2012, 07:05 PM
cw5Bimmer cw5Bimmer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 102
Mein Auto: 2013 550ix MSport Jet Blk
Delete

Last edited by cw5Bimmer; 08-13-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 08-13-2012, 07:34 PM
Stealth.Pilot's Avatar
Stealth.Pilot Stealth.Pilot is offline
The Driver
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,558
Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg1871 View Post
Hopefully this will get fixed. I'd sooner lose the flash (if I get my money refunded) than lemon the car. In the meanwhile Prestige set me up with a 2011 Deep Sea Blue loaded 535i with sport package.
I very much doubt the flash is the problem. A lot of us have logged a lot of miles on the flash. It is a very conservative flash.
__________________

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 08-13-2012, 07:45 PM
dave70 dave70 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: westchester County new york
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 245
Mein Auto: 2011 M3 vert, s4 avant,
Mine started before the Stage II flash and continued after. BMW removed the software and put it back on... no correlation. Eventually, they changed the injectors and the fuel pump and that appeared to resolve the problem. Not sure though because I sold the car and it was shipped overseas.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 08-13-2012, 08:58 PM
lee1224 lee1224 is offline
Registered User
Location: NM
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 17
Mein Auto: 2012 550 xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg1871 View Post
Well guess what happened this
Morning??? The same drivetrain malfunction/power reduction warning. Now the car shudders like crazy-like a funny car. I knew the dealer had no clue the last time. Could it be the HPFP???

Guess what??? Just got my error messages last week. I got both a fuel system malfunction and a drive train malfunction at the same time. While I sat there in the car parked, it started to studder with the rpm needle bouncing up and down, finally the car died. then the check engine light came on. Shut down car and called SA, he said that it probably is not related to Dinan ( I just got dinan S2 about three weeks ago). Went back to work, started car at night drove home with check engine light on, performance seem normal. Got home, shut car down and restarted, check engine light gone. Now this was a week ago, the problem had not come back and car feels strong. Regardless, car going in tomorrow for diagnosing.

Beside that, the car is amazing when dinan S2, now needs some new springs.



Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 08-14-2012, 05:06 AM
passer68 passer68 is offline
Registered User
Location: Indiana
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 68
Mein Auto: 2012 550i xDrive M sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee1224 View Post
Guess what??? Just got my error messages last week. I got both a fuel system malfunction and a drive train malfunction at the same time. While I sat there in the car parked, it started to studder with the rpm needle bouncing up and down, finally the car died. then the check engine light came on. Shut down car and called SA, he said that it probably is not related to Dinan ( I just got dinan S2 about three weeks ago). Went back to work, started car at night drove home with check engine light on, performance seem normal. Got home, shut car down and restarted, check engine light gone. Now this was a week ago, the problem had not come back and car feels strong. Regardless, car going in tomorrow for diagnosing.

Beside that, the car is amazing when dinan S2, now needs some new springs.
Boy, even if it isn't the Dinan, you guys have me rethinking of getting the Dinan tune. The closest Dinan dealership to me is an hour and a half away. If I have problems, that's a haul. If it were my main dealer, I would probably do it because either way they're doing the work under someone's warranty (BMW or Dinan) but I don't want to get into it with my local dealer if there's this type of problem.
__________________
2012 550i xDrive M sport Dark Graphite Metallic /Cinnamon
2009 Nissan GT-R
2007 Toyota Sienna
1997 Porsche 911 Cabriolet
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 08-14-2012, 07:28 AM
Alan L. Alan L. is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: East Coast
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,409
Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
Sounds like its def. the HPFP. Its like the N54 days where people were having this issue non stop for the first couple of years until bmw finally came out with a pump that worked. Pretty sure its not the tune.

Alan
__________________

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 08-14-2012, 08:37 AM
Calgary Agent Calgary Agent is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calgary, Canada
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 152
Mein Auto: 2011 550i
My 550i has been flashed with Stg 2 for over a year and I've repeatedly had chassis stabilization + flat tire errors pretty much since day 1. Spoke with Dinan tech support (Dan) about it when I upgraded from Stg 1 to 2 and he mentioned this was an issue for a small number of early cars, and that the Stg 2 flash would address the issue. It seemed to for a while, but has since returned. I've had the car checked several time for issues following errors and dealer has never been able to find any codes. I've no longer got the time or the patience to take the car in when it errors, it's an exercise in frustration.

On the highway the other day it not only threw chassis+flat errors, but also reduced power (this is when engine mgmt system cuts boost to zero and operates on 4 cylinders). All of these errors can be cleared by restarting car, but often re-appear when you accelerate. This definitely is the last BMW I'll have flashed with Dinan, if I should ever contemplate another BMW it would be an M.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 08-14-2012, 02:29 PM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is online now
0-60 in 4 secs or less!
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,708
Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Agent View Post
reduced power (this is when engine mgmt system cuts boost to zero and operates on 4 cylinders).
I don't think it is that bad, since only time I threw that code was at the dragstrip and I still managed to get two runs in at 13 seconds flat and that was with the light coming on during each run.
__________________


2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 08-15-2012, 07:25 AM
Calgary Agent Calgary Agent is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calgary, Canada
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 152
Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
I don't think it is that bad, since only time I threw that code was at the dragstrip and I still managed to get two runs in at 13 seconds flat and that was with the light coming on during each run.
"Reduced Power" code/indicator often comes on with no noticeable power loss, other times it feels like HPFP is gone. With my latest incident it was difficult to maintain 75mph on a flat road - passing was out of the question.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms