Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-14-2012, 08:43 AM
Insert funny text here

Send a message via AIM to Psquare75
Mein Auto: 93 325i
Unhappy 93 325i No Start when Cold.

Hi. Name is Paul. Longtime lurker, first time poster.

Here's one for you gurus.

Car: 93 325i, manual. 206k miles. No engine mods.

Story:
Ran excellent.. until last Thursday.
Started out as a longer than normal cranking time, but engine would fire on second or third attempt. When warm, car starts up immediately, as normal.

Sitting overnight, car has a long crank time (Think of a diesel in the winter with bad glow plugs). Again, once started, runs perfect, and when turned off and on (say running into a convenience store) it starts immediately, as normal. Over the weekend, toyed with it a bit. Hard to track down cold start issues, as once it starts, it will always start for a few hours.

However, it has gotten to the point where it'd take five or six attempts when cold.. To the point I am fearful of cooking the starter.

This morning, it finally wouldn't start at all even with several long cranks. I popped open the throttle elbow and sprayed some starting fluid. Car fired immediately and stayed running. I turned it off immediately, restarted, and it was fine.

Obviously I don't want to be driving around with a can of starting fluid. I already had a lawnmower like that.

Parts changed:

(I have an 80% complete parts car on the side that ran when parked in April).

Fuel pump fuse/relay/pump.. all check out - no difference.
ECT sensor for DME (new from other car) - no difference.
ICV > throttle body elbow hose (old one cracked, new on other car) - no difference.
throttle body elbow hose (old one cracked, new on other car) - no difference.
Plugs - boots (less than 1500mi on the other car) - no difference.
MAF (new on the other car) - no difference.

So rather than throw parts at this over and over, I'd like some opinions.
Ads by Google