Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 08-16-2012, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E34 525i SE
E34 deadlock problem

Hi All

I have a 1988 525iSE E34 with a locking problem. When I got the car, the drivers door (UK-RH) wouldn't lock-the whole mechanism was solid. The rest of the doors worked with the key as usual. I solved this temporarily by disconnecting the lock to latch rod in the drivers door and locked it using the button from inside. This worked fine for a few weeks. Yesterday, I went to unlock the car and it wouldn't respond to the key in either door. I managed to break into it by using a wire to pull up the passenger (LH) door button-I was then able to use the "emergency unlock" position on the passenger (LH) door to release it. The drivers door (RH) then unlocked from inside as usual (Still disconnected.) Problem is, the rear doors are completely deadlocked and the windows won't open. (Which I believe is also a feature of the deadlock function.)

I removed the whole RH handle/lock/actuator from the drivers door this morning as I had obtained a lock repair kit and believed this to be the problem. Stripped the lock and rebuilt it, but noticed that nothing I was replacing seemed to be broken or faulty. Put it all back together and its still not working.
The drivers actuator (Which I'm assuming is what controls the system) is completely deadlocked.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I might release the deadlock system? As I said, the standard "emergency unlock" is non-functional, so does anyone know how I can release the deadlocking electrically? I think it must be activated by a sequence of presses on the microswitches next to the lock, so in theory it must be unlockable in the same way? Failing this, does anyone have a wiring diagram of the central locking system? (As I said, early type with the actuators on the lock rather than the box type on the latch.)

Many thanks for any advice!

Kind regards

John
Advertisement