Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:43 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevins950 View Post

Actually, I read related threads and there appears to be several related incidents. Similar symptoms under rainy conditions. Other have stated that the FEM control unit had to be replaced. Stopped by the BMW dealership after work to get an update and sure enough they stated that the FEM unit had to be replaced. It's on order and it will be shipped from the Munich assembly line, where I just happened to pick up the car Saturday, for delivery tomorrow. I'm getting the distinct impression they are replacing with like replacement part. Which, if I not mistaken, will fault out again in the next heavy rain. Seems I may have to live with this for about a year or so until they develop a permanent fix (god willing).
So every time an F30 is in a heavy downpour the vehicle is going to be out of service because this component will fail? This sounds like an extremely serious issue, I'm surprised we haven't heard more about it here.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: Lexus
BMW Group; BMW Group; BMW Group; BMW Group; BMW Group; BMW Group; BMW Group; BMW Group; BMW Group; BMW Group; BMW Group; BMW Group; BMW Group; BMW Group

Are you listening? This is unacceptable. What is being done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carconvert View Post
:thumbdown So I'm on the road driving home from work today, its pouring rain, and out of the blue the cluster area throws up a visual warning me that the parking brake is on (I verified it wasnt on), then the hazard lights come on, the windshield wipers start malfunctioning as in they start going in slow-motion, and the audible warning chime comes on. I immediately pull over to the shoulder, the car shuts off because of the auto start (expected), but the hazards stay on and I can't manually turn them off. The centre master unlock button is also unresponsive. I get out of the car doing the open tiwce thingy to do a visual inspection of the exterior (not sure what I was looking for) started the car up again, I tried to disable the auto start/stop before driving off, same thing... the audible and visual warnings continue all the way home. Now I'm in my garage at home but the hazards wont turn off. So now its Friday evening, BMW service isn't open til Monday, and I'm afraid the battery will die over the weekend due to the hazards flashing continously.:mad0259::sigh:
Quote:
Did a bit of research and it appears to be a known issue:

Bulletin Number: SIB-61-02-12
BMW: ELECTRONIC MALFUNCTION AND VARIOUS CHECK CONTROL MESSAGES ARE DISPLAYED IN CID (CENTRAL INFORMATION DISPLAY) AND INSTRUMENT CLUSTER. *PE

Bulletin Number: SIB-61-09-12
BMW: VARIOUS ELECTRICAL MALFUNCTIONS RELATED TO THE FEM. WINDSHIELD WIPERS MAY NOT STAY IN PARKED POSITION. WIPERS OPERATE WHEN SWITCHED OFF. WIPERS PARTIALLY MOVE WHEN SWITCHED ON. HAZARD WARNING LIGHTS FLASH PERMANENTLY. *KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttackBMW View Post
Weak man - sorry to hear this. Make sure to take it in tomorrow. You can always start it and run it for a while to charge the battery later tonight. On the plus side - if you get this on record now, And they cant fix it and you keep having the issue, you may be a candidate for a lemon law case and get all of your money back which you can then apply to a new car and essentially drive this free for months or more - been there, done that. My 2008 335i was lemon law'd after 17 months - got every penny back including tax, license, all payments, etc. essentially drove a next to free car for a year and a half then got a phat 34K check to use as a down on my next car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspartan View Post
Based on what you were describing it seems likely that water might have gotten into a seal somewhere and caused an intermittent electrical fault. Hope everything works out.
Which dealership was this?
Quote:
Update: Dealer says they need to replace the FEM: Front Electronics Module. I made them show me and it's a little rectangular box which is accessed on the passenger interior side right beneath the gove box. Should be done and ready for tomorrow -- drove the x1 home as a loaner... miss the car already. No water found in the electronics module...
Quote:
Originally Posted by djeffreyt View Post
Any updates on the car?

I actually just had this happen to my car yesterday, almost exact same as yours. It was raining, started car up and started driving, and I noticed the car was chiming at me and said the parking brake was on. Stopped and checked and it wasn't. Tried to pull it and release and see if the car would react different, nope. Tried to restart car, and no change. Decided to start driving home as hail was coming and I didn't want my car out in it. Emergency lights suddenly come on while driving and won't go off. I call BMW assist and they say I should tow it in, so I'm waiting and suddenly hail starts falling so I scramble home to my garage (luckily no damage) but in the mean time the emergency light suddenly goes off and now are completely inoperable, the auto start/stop manual turn off won't work now, windshield wipers will start but won't turn off properly (even stayed on when I turned the car off once) and the parking lights read as on no matter if they are or aren't.

Taking it in to Mortiz BMW in Arlington Texas tomorrow (Didn't have a loaner today). Gonna just print this thread for them. Thanks a lot guys!

Oh, in case anyone is wondering it's a 2012 328i Sport (production 2/2012)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrows2100 View Post
+1 on this problem.

Fast lane of motorway.. Raining. The wipers were going super fast so I turned the sensitivity switch down a notch. The wipers stopped working completely and then all of a sudden 'Parking Brake' chime and warning comes on, all doors unlock, hazard lights are on permanently and wipers go crazy again.

Find a way onto the hard shoulder and try turning everything off. Hazards were solid on as were wipers. Car otherwise would start fine but would go crazy as it thought handbrake was on.

BMW Assist sent out recovery who had to tow it. Just as we got o drive it on the flatbed the engine wouldn't start. The wheel (being electrically assisted) was locked and it had to get dragged up via winch/skates.

The best part? Being only 24 I couldn't get a 'similar' car from Enterprise. They tried to hook me up with a Fiat 500 which I managed to change... For a Hyundai i30 =\

Can't wait to get down to the dealership tomorrow and see what they can sort out whilst cars in for repair. BMW call center previously said it wouldn't be a problem getting another similar from Enterprise =\

Hopefully it's a known enough fault that it's an easy diagnosis. If they take ages I'll direct them here (don't want to tell them their job). But I also hope it isn't such a well known fault the part is out of stock. Unless I get an M3 i'd rather just have my 318d back quick for fuel economy.

I'll keep you guys updated as this seems like it might become a bit of a flaw...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pany View Post
I've now how this problem occur for a second time. The FEM was replaced first time, and going to be replaced again.
Quote:
Update:

My car has already had the FEM replaced as said previously in this thread. However I got an error the other day saying:
"Possible imminent failure of windscreen wipers."

So. Since its normally the wipers that go mental pre FEM replacement I am thinking I might be related (although the error message is a new one)

The car still drives fine and now the error has disappeared.

I'm beginning to worry that there's a problem with the sealing of the electrics against heavy rain. BMW at the moment are thinking its a software/programming fault and are waiting on a special 'PUMA' or something arriving to help with sorting it.

I'll keep this thread updated with any changes...
Quote:
Update:

Summary - Already had FEM replaced. Subsequently had a 'Windscreen Wipers- Possible Imminent Failure' displayed on iDrive.

Had a call from the showroom saying that they've ordered a new 'updated electronics module' and it isn't only me with the problem. He didn't state whether it was the FEM or not.

This was the result of a 'PUMA' request to BMW HQ last week if I remember correctly. I don't know what that means exactly.

Repair should take a day to fit. As with all new cars - electrics now need programmed specifically to the vehicle (including this new module)

Regards!
Maybe it's time to check out the Cadillac ATS!!!

Last edited by kevins950; 07-30-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:12 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Yikes. That's a major downer. Maybe the mods can sticky a thread about it, because it appears to be a rather serious problem. The one saving grace for me is that my car is garaged both at work and home, and we don't get a whole lot of rain in Colorado anyway, so chances are good I will not run into this issue.

Still, amazing that this is not stickied at the top of the F30 forum. I should PM one of the moderators and see if that can be done.

Otherwise, you were enjoying the car it would appear. You're the first person who I've seen who has the x-drive plus adaptive-M suspension. When they went over the car did they give you any info on the adaptive suspension settings? I am curious if it can be set up to automatically switch the suspension setup and steering radius when you switch it from comfort to sport mode.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i F30
I like the interior, but exterior I prefer the Sportline. Also weird they dropped the foglights so you lose something that looks good and is nice to have...
Old 07-30-2012, 02:35 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Like the comparison photos.
My Mineral Grey 328i ///L-Sport is lost at sea, but that's a great photo of your car, makes me miss mine more.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 07-31-2012, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: -
Any issue with the steering wheel vibration?
'10 Range Rover Sport Black/Tan
'11 A4 S-Line Quattro Monza Grey/Black(alcantara)
Old 07-31-2012, 05:25 PM

Mein Auto: Volvo V70 R& T5, 911 CS4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinTJ View Post
Kevins is a member of our military stationed in Germany. That is why he has his early, because he is still living in Germany for the next year and a half.
Thanks - that explains it so I can't complain. ED would have been nice but I have learned that not everything you wish happens and often what does happen is actually better.

Besides today the EPA/CARB was approved and I was told they have a slot on one of the three PCD dates I requested. All is good and thanks to the PCD staff... they have done well in a tough situation. Suspect they have done it before but they still deserve credit and still have to deal with a lot of concerned people wanting slots.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T111 View Post
Any issue with the steering wheel vibration?
The FEM unit was replaced, and I got the car back last Tuesday. Got about 450 km so far and no steering vibration issues (knock on wood).
Old 08-04-2012, 04:17 AM

More Pics

Got it cleaned up and more pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ADSC_1073.png
Views:	148
Size:	382.1 KB
ID:	335406   Click image for larger version

Name:	ADSC_1079.png
Views:	130
Size:	419.1 KB
ID:	335407   Click image for larger version

Name:	ADSC_1080.png
Views:	128
Size:	416.6 KB
ID:	335408   Click image for larger version

Name:	ADSC_1081.png
Views:	120
Size:	302.8 KB
ID:	335409   Click image for larger version

Name:	ADSC_1082.png
Views:	121
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	335410  

Name:	ADSC_1083.png
Views:	107
Size:	405.7 KB
ID:	335411   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1093.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	335412   Click image for larger version

Name:	ADSC_1086.png
Views:	112
Size:	388.1 KB
ID:	335413   Click image for larger version

Name:	ADSC_1088.png
Views:	124
Size:	429.4 KB
ID:	335414   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1094.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	258.2 KB
ID:	335415  

Name:	ADSC_1090.png
Views:	120
Size:	460.0 KB
ID:	335416   Click image for larger version

Name:	ADSC_1091.png
Views:	106
Size:	456.2 KB
ID:	335417  
Old 08-15-2012, 08:58 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2013 328i Sedan
Sorry about the rain incident and the FEM replacement. I was reading about that on another forum and they were MY2012 that needed a FEM replacement; due to exposure to heavy rain. Sad to hear that it is now being reported on MY2013. I am not looking forward to having a similar problem when i receive my ride in mid-Sept. Is the FEM just an electronic module with firmware, that would need to be re-flashed, once the OEM figures out what is causing the defect?
Old 08-15-2012, 09:06 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLing View Post
Sorry about the rain incident and the FEM replacement. I was reading about that on another forum and they were MY2012 that needed a FEM replacement; due to exposure to heavy rain. Sad to hear that it is now being reported on MY2013. I am not looking forward to having a similar problem when i receive my ride in mid-Sept. Is the FEM just an electronic module with firmware, that would need to be re-flashed, once the OEM figures out what is causing the defect?
If rain is causing the failure then firmware isn't going to sort it out. Likely it would require a part redesign.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLing View Post
My understanding is limited. Language barrier with the Germans. But as I understand it, yes, it is an electronic module and once the unit was replaced it had to be reprogrammed. If I understood correctly, it takes several hours for the reprogramming. I don't know if there were any changes/corrections to the replacement FEM unit or the firmware. For all I know it may be like replacement in kind and just a matter of time before it fails again. Or, god willing, there were some changes made and it will never happen again. Should it happen again, I will be sure to follow up and repost the incident again.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
If rain is causing the failure then firmware isn't going to sort it out. Likely it would require a part redesign.
Speculation on my part, but the electronic module is located inside the cabin on the passenger side under the glove compartment. So I'm thinking the unit is overheating and faulting out. The wiper blades had been running for some time and under heavy rains it was wiping on high speed for extended periods. But truly, I dunno. It's just speculation on my part and nothing more.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:01 AM

Mein Auto: Volvo V70 R& T5, 911 CS4
Quote:
Speculation on my part, but the electronic module is located inside the cabin on the passenger side under the glove compartment. So I'm thinking the unit is overheating and faulting out. The wiper blades had been running for some time and under heavy rains it was wiping on high speed for extended periods. But truly, I dunno. It's just speculation on my part and nothing more.
Seems reasonable, I had been thinking about water getting into the module which would seem to be a easy fix as well but I suspect that problem should have been eliminated in design. Another worry would be shorting someplace and finding where could be difficult. But of course we are all guessing. Will have to wait and see.

I pick up my car next week at PCD and will drive it around the Southern US before heading home to Colorado. Unfortunately, both areas can get very heavy rains in thunderstorms so its going to be a big concern when we encounter them. Will try to avoid going to the high speed wiper mode. Thanks for the thought it might save me some pain.