Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 08-18-2012, 08:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 525i station wagon
Oil Pressure Light Fix

Have had a lot of problems with my oil light flickering at idle and then coming on completly red and bells and warnings flashing across my instrument panel. Many have indicated that I needed to have the pressure read to start at a baseline for the fix. I had an indy that does work for me from time to time on things I haven't the tools to do--I could have done this but I let him have ago at it. My oil pressure was fine, I had installed a new sensor and a new cap and even went so far as to go back to Mann oil filter to remedy the problem. The indy removed my Oil Temerature Sensor and blew compressed air through that vane in the oil filter housing --he said that would blow the gunk that had accumulated in the oil screen on the oil pickup tube in the pan out and clean the screen. That has fixed my problem and all is well, except that the oil temp sensor is now throughing a code--I have a new one that will arrive this evening and will install it tomorrow--from what I have gathered about the OTS is that when it's not working properly the engine will burn rich--I may have killed two birds with one stone here--will follow up later on that fix--Hope that Helps someone
Ads by Google
Old 08-18-2012, 10:28 AM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
There are two codes for the temp sensor, sensor high, and sensor low. Not sure what that would have to do with mileage, since the engine computer uses coolant temp to set mixture.

MY '00+ used the OTS on the M54 only. There may have been an oil temp issue on this engine.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

Last edited by edjack; 08-18-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: 525i station wagon
My code was indicating a low temp problem--if the OBC is reading that, I would think that it picks up not from just one but from both of the temp sensors--oil and coolent temp. EAC tuning shows the part listed for my car and indicates that if this sensor has a problem that it does affect mileage.

Last edited by poolman; 08-18-2012 at 11:35 AM.