Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Lexus LS400
As you approach your BMW, do the interior....

When you walk up to you car do the interior lights and door handle lights illuminate before you grab the door handle? If so how do you turn this function on?
Advertisement
Old 08-18-2012, 06:36 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
Push your unlock button?

| ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZSP | ZTP | 322 | 2VA | 456 | 4AD | 4UB | 610 | 655 | 6FF | 6FL | Combox + CIC + LCI Headlight/Tailight retro |
Old 08-18-2012, 06:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i
I doubt that function exists. It would be a waste to have that turn on when you walk past the car to pick up the paper, not to mention 1000 other use cases. If you like the look as you approach the car - and who wouldn't? - you can press the unlock button on the fob discretely while it is in your pocket.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:39 AM

My friend has a 2010 lexus. We went out for wings one night. After leaving the wing joint, we started walking toward her car in a dark parking lot. When we were about 10 feet from her car, the interior lights went from off to dim then gradually to full brightness. It was cool as hell. I was wondering if the BMW had a function like that. I see something in the manual called welcome lighting, but I dont understand how that works.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Try the coding threads to see if they come up with something. This is a nice safety feature that makes walking to my car at nite a bit safer that I believe the excessively meticulous engineers at BMW wouldn't miss, but the legal team of BMW may have not signed up for.

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 08-18-2012, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: German
My dad's MY12 Toyota Sienna with Smart Key has this feature. Kind of sad that it's included on a $40k Toyota, but optional on a $60k+ BMW. Comfort Access is a $1k option. Ridiculous
Old 08-18-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
optional on a $60k+ BMW. Comfort Access is a $1k option. Ridiculous
Are you saying X5´s with comfort access has this illumination feature? I have comfort access, how come when I approach my car it doesen´t light up?
Old 08-18-2012, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBusa View Post
Are you saying X5´s with comfort access has this illumination feature? I have comfort access, how come when I approach my car it doesen´t light up?
Not sure. I don't have it

Just complaining for the sake of complaining abotu BMW
Old 08-18-2012, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i M Sport
Comfort access doesn't include this feature. Using the fob button to unlock will turn on the interior and exterior lights if set to in the iDrive (at least 2011+). The flip side to the lights going on automatically is that you may not necessarily want people around you knowing which car you're heading to. Obviously that could also be a setting but it's not.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:42 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBusa View Post
My friend has a 2010 lexus. We went out for wings one night. After leaving the wing joint, we started walking toward her car in a dark parking lot. When we were about 10 feet from her car, the interior lights went from off to dim then gradually to full brightness. It was cool as hell. I was wondering if the BMW had a function like that. I see something in the manual called welcome lighting, but I dont understand how that works.
I don't want this, let me push the button if I choose.

| ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZSP | ZTP | 322 | 2VA | 456 | 4AD | 4UB | 610 | 655 | 6FF | 6FL | Combox + CIC + LCI Headlight/Tailight retro |
Old 08-18-2012, 11:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 TURBO X5 35i
set the light control to AUTO to have courtesy Light turn ON