Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:15 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
The reality is it is speculation until it is confirmed. My understanding of the adaptive m is that it is a specific set of components that results in the lowered ride which is why if you equip the luxury or modern line car with adaptive m then it is also "lowered". Basically what you guys are saying is that x-drive cars with adaptive m will get different suspension components than other F30 adaptive m suspension cars. This is possible but I am not sure if I am buying it. I imagine that the suspension tuning for the adaptive m package is carefully tweaked and not sure why they would change the ride height for the AWD cars unless there was an engineering requirement or they felt that the x-drive cars need the extra small amount of ground clearance. For what it is worth Audi have been offering sport suspensions on their AWD cars for decades and they don't differentiate ride height between FWD and Quattro layouts.

Honestly I could give a crap about the arguable cosmetic benefit of a "lowered" car. All I care about is handling when it comes to the suspension setup.

Last edited by voip-ninja; 08-14-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:42 PM

Mein Auto: '12 328i
It's by design, if you want xdrive, they assume you want the ground clearance. I've always gotten the feeling that xdrive to BMW was more of an in climate weather option than with Audi where it's a performance option. Anyways, good luck. I assure you that it's a fact xdrive is not lowered 10mm like the RWD cars are. It's not speculation, it's published by BMW but I'm not sure where I read it. Check the order guides....
Old 08-14-2012, 09:52 PM

Read this...
http://www.bmwblog.com/2012/08/01/vi...series-xdrive/

The vehicles will have the same equipment profile as the rear-wheel drive models except that Sport Suspension (704) will not be included in the Sport and M Sport Line. While all-Season tires are standard in the Sport and M Sport Line on the xDrive models, performance tires (ZPT) are available as a no cost alternative.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 2013 328i Sedan
This thread has become so confusing. So I will need to add my understand to further the controversy:

For the MY2013 the F30 xDrive:

1) No M Sports Suspension is offered in the Sports Line. Therefore xDrive will not have the shorter/firmer springs that lowers the car by 10mm
3) M Adaptive Suspension is offered. Therefore xDrive will will be available with the adjustable dampers.

Net: RWD can be ordered with M Sports Suspension (shorter springs) and M Adaptive Suspension (adjustable dampers).
xDrive you can only order M Adaptive Suspension (adjustable dampers)

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ndOptions.aspx

Last edited by VLing; 08-14-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:45 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmnoonan View Post
Read this...
http://www.bmwblog.com/2012/08/01/vi...series-xdrive/

The vehicles will have the same equipment profile as the rear-wheel drive models except that Sport Suspension (704) will not be included in the Sport and M Sport Line. While all-Season tires are standard in the Sport and M Sport Line on the xDrive models, performance tires (ZPT) are available as a no cost alternative.
Right. If you order them with sport line they do not come with a sport suspension, however adaptive-m suspension is its own setup and is an upgrade from sport suspension.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:48 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmnoonan View Post
It's by design, if you want xdrive, they assume you want the ground clearance. I've always gotten the feeling that xdrive to BMW was more of an in climate weather option than with Audi where it's a performance option. Anyways, good luck. I assure you that it's a fact xdrive is not lowered 10mm like the RWD cars are. It's not speculation, it's published by BMW but I'm not sure where I read it. Check the order guides....
You assure me it's a fact? My car is on the way to the dealer so I will know soon enough, you seem to be passing your speculation off as fact. BMW has not offered the adaptive setup on the x-drive cars ever before so it remains to be seen if it is the same setup on other F30 cars or if (as you are insisting) it is different.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:49 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLing View Post
This thread has become so confusing. So I will need to add my understand to further the controversy:

For the MY2013 the F30 xDrive:

1) No M Sports Suspension is offered in the Sports Line. Therefore xDrive will not have the shorter/firmer springs that lowers the car by 10mm
3) M Adaptive Suspension is offered. Therefore xDrive will will be available with the adjustable dampers.

Net: RWD can be ordered with M Sports Suspension (shorter springs) and M Adaptive Suspension (adjustable dampers).
xDrive you can only order M Adaptive Suspension (adjustable dampers)

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ndOptions.aspx
One correction. There is no such thing as ordering with sport suspension AND adaptive suspension, if you get the adaptive suspension the sport suspension is replaced by it.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:38 AM

Ninja, you will love your car and probably not even notice the 1/2 inch higher ride height. Enjoy your car! We get our cars around the same time.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
I have confirmed with BMW that Adaptive M Suspension (including the Dynamic handling package) does NOT lower the car when added to xDrive all wheel drive cars -

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=639487

Tim
Old 08-15-2012, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: Lexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
Honestly I could give a crap about the arguable cosmetic benefit of a "lowered" car. All I care about is handling when it comes to the suspension setup.
I took delivery of MY 2013 335i xDrive with DHP several weeks ago. I have not driven it hard yet as I'm still in the break-in phase below 1,200 miles. However I can tell you that the suspension is buttery smooth like a baby's bottom. It (the handling) is light, perky, agile, and deft. As a previous 2006 330i owner, I can easily say that I am very pleased with the results of the 335i xDrive over the 330i rwd. It may be the combination of xDrive, DHP, and Bridgestone Potenza S001 tires. All I can say is that I'm tickled pink and have no regrets whatsoever. Very satisfied consumer of BMW product.

As a side note, I do like the aesthetics and looks of a lowered suspension. However if I had to choose between 10mm lowered suspension or deft handling, I would go with deft handling every time.

Last edited by kevins950; 08-15-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjaz View Post
First, my apologies if this has been addressed comprehensively, but I haven't really found much in my searches on the forum.

I've noted that the Dynamic Handling Package option "kicks out" the sport suspension on Sport Line F30's, as well as that while the sport suspension is not available on AWD Sport Line cars, the DHP is an option on those vehicles. My questions are basically regarding the distinction between the adaptive suspension and the sport suspension, and why one is able to be fitted to an AWD F30 but the other not. Additionally, it would be helpful if someone who has lived with that package could please speak to its merits. Thanks for any replies.
I think the following explanation for Adaptive Drive on the X5 may be helpful in understanding Adaptive Suspension:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=32

While I have not dug deep into the details of the F30 Adaptive Suspension it appears to be very similar to Adaptive Drive in the X5.

Last edited by sunny5280; 08-15-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:06 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevins950 View Post
I took delivery of MY 2013 335i xDrive with DHP several weeks ago. I have not driven it hard yet as I'm still in the break-in phase below 1,200 miles. However I can tell you that the suspension is buttery smooth like a baby's bottom. It (the handling) is light, perky, agile, and deft. As a previous 2006 330i owner, I can easily say that I am very pleased with the results of the 335i xDrive over the 330i rwd. It may be the combination of xDrive, DHP, and Bridgestone Potenza S001 tires. All I can say is that I'm tickled pink and have no regrets whatsoever. Very satisfied consumer of BMW product.

As a side note, I do like the aesthetics and looks of a lowered suspension. However if I had to choose between 10mm lowered suspension or deft handling, I would go with deft handling every time.
Thanks for this!
Old 08-15-2012, 08:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535Xi, 2006 X3 (wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
I have confirmed with BMW that Adaptive M Suspension (including the Dynamic handling package) does NOT lower the car when added to xDrive all wheel drive cars -

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=639487

Tim
Tim,

Update- I made the posting below before reading your other thread on confirming XDrive M Adaptive Suspension. Appreciate your information. Are there just two choices in springs, stiffer springs with 10mm lower ride height and regular springs without lowering, and not a third choice of stiffer springs without lowered ride height?

OBE ...........
Thank you. Can you find out from BMW if the springs (and sway bars?) in the M Adaptive Suspension with XDrive, independent of the car not being lowered 10 mm, are:

- the same stiffness as the base suspension in XDrive
- the same stiffness as M Adaptive Suspension in RWD
- other

End of OBE ............

Thanks
Bruce

Last edited by BruceOmega; 08-15-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:

I think you may be the only person so far with hands-on driving experience of an F30 XDrive with the M Adaptive Suspension.

Regarding the 2006 330i RWD you compared your new car to, did that vehicle have a sport suspension?

Did you by any chance test drive a RWD F30 with the M Adaptive Suspension? If so, was wondering how you would compare that to your car.

Thanks
Bruce
Old 08-18-2012, 05:16 PM

Mein Auto: Lexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post
I think you may be the only person so far with hands-on driving experience of an F30 XDrive with the M Adaptive Suspension.
Regarding the 2006 330i RWD you compared your new car to, did that vehicle have a sport suspension?
Did you by any chance test drive a RWD F30 with the M Adaptive Suspension? If so, was wondering how you would compare that to your car.

Thanks
Bruce
Bruce,
The 2006 330i RWD did not have sport suspension. It did have summer RFT. If I recall 2006 was not a good year for RFT's as the technology was still relatively new and the road handling was adversely affected with rough handling.

I did test drive a RWD F30. However I do not know if it had DHP. I suspect not. Also I suspect it had all season tires and the handling was not near as good as the xDrive with DHP and summer tires.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:23 PM

Mein Auto: nthg
Ok.. I read a lot about these comaparistions and watnot ... But I want to order sports becoz I want sports seats and steering .. Please advise if dunamic hdlng package is necessary I am
Ok with 1000 more but I want the car to be true sports car
Please advise if dyanamic is necessary or not for
True sports car
Feel.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:40 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

If you want a true sports car then buy a sports car. Dynamic handling improves the 3-series performance but it does not turn it into a sports car.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:48 AM

Mein Auto: F30 335i sport 06 911S
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
If you want a true sports car then buy a sports car. Dynamic handling improves the 3-series performance but it does not turn it into a sports car.
True sports car are designed from the ground up to be just that. This is a very capable sports sedan but make NO mistake, its not a sports car. I would still highly advise the DHP to maximize the sporty feel of the F30.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Bruce,
The 2006 330i RWD did not have sport suspension. It did have summer RFT. If I recall 2006 was not a good year for RFT's as the technology was still relatively new and the road handling was adversely affected with rough handling.

I did test drive a RWD F30. However I do not know if it had DHP. I suspect not. Also I suspect it had all season tires and the handling was not near as good as the xDrive with DHP and summer tires.
Thank you for the feedback. Appreciate the insight for general driving conditions, not just for inclement weather.

Quote:
...... If I recall 2006 was not a good year for RFT's .....
+1 from first hand experience.

Bruce