Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 750Li
Help! Display Problem Advice Needed

Hi All,

I have a 2008 750Li. The car is still under warranty.

About 3 months ago, the navigation display stopped working properly. Intermittently, the navigations screen would go dark (you could vaguely make out lines but the screen was too dark to read. Everything else in the display screen (e.g. Phone, Climate, Radio) worked fine - the navigation display was the only problem. The car went into the dealership and, of course, the screen was fine at the time, they could not duplicate the problem and could find nothing wrong.

About a month ago, the screen went drak and stayed dark for more extended periods (i.e. a couple of days). I took pictures with my BlackBerry and sent them to the dealership. THe car was booked in a second time and this time the display was not working when I dropped it off. They initially replaced the DVD system but this did not address the problem so the car went back in a third time. They decided it was the screen at fault and replaced it. I picked the car up last Friday and the navigation display is working fine. Alas I now have several other problems as follows:

1. In the Climate Display I only have access to the driver side controls and the controls are different than the previous screen (i.e. there is no airflow option, just fan speed). There is no display for the passenger side at all (i.e. no picture on the RHS of the screen) and no options.

2. At the bottom of the screen, the temperature appears for the passenger side but the fan icon does not appear nor does the fan speed bar (or the "Auto" when set on Auto). Prior to the repair, the display showed both driver and passenger side icons.

3. My CD Changer no longer appears as an option in the Entertainment window. Instead it shows "TV". As a result, I cannot use the CD Changer.

4. My AUX no longer appears as an option in the Entertainment window. Instead it shows "Picture". As a result, I can no longer play my iPod.

I have called the dealership twice and they don't seem to have a clue. Initially they told me that they had installed an "Updated" screen and I now have the "current" display. Obviously this is not correct. They subsequently said they need to wait until another 2008 comes in for service so that they can compare the displays. NOtr wanting to wait for an indeterminate period of time, I sent them (i) a picture I found on Google images of the display screen with dual driver/passenger icons at the bottom, and (ii) a picture from the Owner's Manual showing what the Climate screen is supposed to look like.

The service managers with whom I have been dealing are currently away so I have received no response. However, based on my previous experiences, I am not optimistic they will have a clue how to fix this problem (they had my car for almost 2 weeks last time!!). I assumed this to be a simple programming issue but the dealership does not seem to think so.

In the past, I have used this forum to successfully diagnose a problem the dealership couldn't. I am hoping somebody can offer advice as to the nature of the problem (and ideally how to fix it) so that I can pass this information on to the dealership.

Thanks in advance.
Ads by Google
Old 08-13-2012, 03:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E65 745i
Hi montyp,

Sorry to hear your issues and the dealer not being that helpful!

It sounds like the new MMI you have been given has not been coded to the car, this is why the options are not available, its as if they have basically fitted a brand new MMI without coding it correctly, as you even have the basic climate functions!?

I would take the car back to the dealer and get them to check the coding is correct. Is this an authorised BMW dealer? I am surprised they are unable to diagnose such an obvious problem.

Its possible to fix this yourself, check this thread out:

Coding the MMI screen

You can use INPA or dashsoft, myself and i'm sure others will be more than willing to assist you.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Last edited by stuartjohn24; 08-13-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:25 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 750i 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjohn24 View Post
Hi montyp,

Sorry to hear your issues and the dealer not being that helpful!

It sounds like the new MMI you have been given has not been coded to the car, this is why the options are not available, its as if they have basically fitted a brand new MMI without coding it correctly, as you even have the basic climate functions!?

I would take the car back to the dealer and get them to check the coding is correct. Is this an authorised BMW dealer? I am surprised they are unable to diagnose such an obvious problem.

Its possible to fix this yourself, check this thread out:

Coding the MMI screen

You can use INPA or dashsoft, myself and i'm sure others will be more than willing to assist you.

Hope this helps

Stuart
if under warranty, i would immediately take it to another dealer to look at while there is warranty time left. waiting to look at another 2008 is BullS!! THey should keep it unit its fixed and give you a loaner until then. sounds like incompetent technicians.

Last edited by rkruz; 08-13-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:30 AM

Thanks gents.

The dealer is an authorized BMW dealer (and supposedly one of the largest in Canada). For whatever reason their "technicians" don't seem to have a clue when it comes to fixing certain problems on the 7 series.

The car is back in there today as the service manager is back from vacation. He has advised that it is likely a programming issue and has assured me it will be fixed today. Of course this should have been done properly the first time but that is a discussion for another day.

Thanks again.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:12 AM

A quick update.

I picked the car up last week and all appears to be in order.

Apparently when the new screen was installed the "technician" forgot to reprogram (or set the coding). I am surprised a screen for that car would drop the dual climate control (which I thought was standard). I could understand dropping the CD Changer and AUX and substituting TV and Picture (although am surprised that TV is one of the factory settings).

Still a pain in the you-know-what as I think they should have done this properly the first time around (or at least the third time around!!). However, at least now everything is the way it should be.

Thanks again for the advice.