Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 745LI
Unhappy Generator Fault - Steering Locked

This happened to me on yesterday while heading to work. I was at a red light when I felt something while my foot was on the brake. Then the steering locked, and the Generator Fault came on. I parked and that's when the dash lit up like a christmas tree.

I had car towed to dealer, and they have given me a laundry list of things totaling over $5,000: Bracket that hold alternator - $2k, both upper timing cases - $2k, both dry belt tensioners $690, water pump damaged $700, and THEN HE SAYS: "THE ALTERNATOR MAY NEED TO BE REPLACED, BUT WE WONT KNOW UNTIL THE BRACKET IS REPLACED". Like dude, I thought I just needed a belt replaced.

I always feel like I'm being ripped off when I take my car for service; from talking with my friends, it seems most of us ladies feel that way.

Any advice, on what I should do? Do you know of a mechanic in the Maryland, DC, VA area?
Ads by Google
Old 08-12-2012, 03:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 760Li
Don't know if you want to come 2 hrs. down I-95. but I recommend Sarek Auto in Colonial Heights, Va. You can Google them.

jdcraw
Old 08-21-2012, 04:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to mcfalcons15 Send a message via MSN to mcfalcons15 Send a message via Yahoo to mcfalcons15
Mein Auto: 2004 Black on Black 745Li
Check out Einstein's Auto Repair in College Park, MD. They are an independent shop, that only works on BMWs. They do great work, that is where I take my car. Better pricing than the stealership.

http://einsteinsauto.com/ and their number is 301-446-3510.
2005 Toyota Sienna CE

"Bout My Business"