Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E34 M5 (1988-1995)

E34 M5 (1988-1995)

Old 08-12-2012, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: 735il, M5
Looking at a E34 M5 and have questions...

I am looking at a 1991 M5. Saw it and drove it today. Overall a nice car. No rust. 185000 miles. Been repainted, but paint in decent shape.

After driving it I have a few questions:

1. The gearshift seems to be rather vague. Not at all like I'm used to. The reverse doesn't even seem to have a detent to prevent you from accidentally shifting into reverse. Is this normal?
2. The clutch engages right off the floor. Again, normal?
3. The car was tight and handled well. Idled smooth, lots of power. Overall I liked it. The interior, while there were no rips and tears, but it was a little worn. Are most of the interior components standard E34?
4. The dog bones and some suspension components will need to be replaced, but that is no problem.
5. The current owner seems pretty knowledgeable on what is required to keep this car up and follows the required maintenance schedule. I think this is good.

I currently own a 735iL, so some of the systems are familiar to me, but I'm also aware that the S28 is unique and expensive. While expensive is a known what happens if something goes major wrong with the engine. Are there places where I can get parts to do a rebuild? Pistons, rings, bearings, valves, guides, timing chains, etc.

This is probably the biggest concern I have about the car. I don't mind spending bucks to rebuild the engine, but I do want to be able to get the components to do the job right.

Thanks in advance.
Ads by Google
Old 08-13-2012, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: 91 M5, 88 M5, 97 Exploder
1. The gearshift seems to be rather vague. Not at all like I'm used to. The reverse doesn't even seem to have a detent to prevent you from accidentally shifting into reverse. Is this normal?

That's not normal, but a SSK from any reliable source will take care of the issue.

Mine does too. Early E34 M5s have a very "heavy" clutch.

3. The car was tight and handled well. Idled smooth, lots of power. Overall I liked it. The interior, while there were no rips and tears, but it was a little worn. Are most of the interior components standard E34?

Seats are unique. Leatherique is the key here.

4. The dog bones and some suspension components will need to be replaced, but that is no problem.

Standard wear items. Is SLS system still intact? If so, make sure to watch and replace the "bombs" when required. You don't want to blow the seals in the shocks if the bombs fail.

5. The current owner seems pretty knowledgeable on what is required to keep this car up and follows the required maintenance schedule. I think this is good

Engine rebuild: This can get very expensive when done right by an experienced S38 shop. On the other hand, it's a race motor detuned for street use, so overengineered for most people. Both my S38 motors have more miles than the one you are looking at and neither has required a rebuild.

Buy the car. Drive the snot out of it. Take it to the track. enjoy!
Old 08-15-2012, 04:41 PM

That's not normal, but a SSK from any reliable source will take care of the issue.

I am looking at another one tomorrow and will pick the best of the two. The trans bothers me.

Mine does too. Early E34 M5s have a very "heavy" clutch. -

Good, thanks

Seats are unique. Leatherique is the key here.

I've used Leatherique on my BMW's and Mercedes and it is a great product.

Standard wear items. Is SLS system still intact? If so, make sure to watch and replace the "bombs" when required. You don't want to blow the seals in the shocks if the bombs fail.

One has the SLS and the bombs have been replaced. The other one has had the SLS's been replaced. I've done a lot of work on the SLS on my 735iL and can do the necessary work if needed, but not having it is also nice.

5. The current owner seems pretty knowledgeable on what is required to keep this car up and follows the required maintenance schedule. I think this is good
Engine rebuild: This can get very expensive when done right by an experienced S38 shop. On the other hand, it's a race motor detuned for street use, so overengineered for most people. Both my S38 motors have more miles than the one you are looking at and neither has required a rebuild.

Buy the car. Drive the snot out of it. Take it to the track. enjoy!

I think I will take this advice.

Thank you for your help.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:45 AM

I found one! 1991 M5 with 158K miles. Much better condition than the first one I looked at. Now I need to get plates on it so I can start terrorizing the locals.

So, what repair manual do I need to get?

Here are some photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0237.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	337469   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0241.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	337470  

Last edited by NC BMW Driver; 08-18-2012 at 04:17 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: 91 M5, 88 M5, 97 Exploder
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC BMW Driver View Post
I found one! 1991 M5 with 158K miles. Much better condition than the first one I looked at. Now I need to get plates on it so I can start terrorizing the locals.

So, what repair manual do I need to get?

Here are some photos.
Bentley. then get over to Yahoo E34M5 group. search for links to ETK and FSM,
Old 08-21-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfunfer View Post
Bentley. then get over to Yahoo E34M5 group. search for links to ETK and FSM,
Does the Bentley manual cover the M5? I thought it was only the E34?

I'll try to join the E34M5 group.

Thanks
Old 04-02-2013, 08:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 89 E30 Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC BMW Driver View Post
I am look
5. The current owner seems pretty knowledgeable on what is required to keep this car up and follows the required maintenance schedule. I think this is good.

I currently own a 735iL, so some of the systems are familiar to me, but I'm also aware that the S28 is unique and expensive. While expensive is a known what happens if something goes major wrong with the engine. Are there places where I can get parts to do a rebuild? Pistons, rings, bearings, valves, guides, timing chains, etc.

This is probably the biggest concern I have about the car. I don't mind spending bucks to rebuild the engine, but I do want to be able to get the components to do the job right.

Thanks in advance.
The clutch needs to be replaced its worn that's why it engages high.
Parts shouldn't be difficult to find. Pelican, and turner and fcp he pretty much everything to keep it running. The car also shares alot with the e34. So I wouldnt worry too much