Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 03-22-2011, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 x3 3.0
Question 2008 X3 Broken Motor Mounts

New to the forums.

Have a 2008 X3 3.0. 125,000K Automatic. Have been noticing a vibration while stopped but engine is under load (either in reverse or drive with the brake on). Also somewhat louder than usual when driving but no shimmy or shake like balancing is off.

Took it in today after reading it could be ICV, Oxygen Sensor or CAT.

Dealer just called to advise that ALL FOUR engine mount bolts are snapped.

I'm the only one that drives it, so I know nothing traumatic has happened to it.

Has anyone heard of all 4 bolts snapping? I've seen posts of one or two engine mounts needing to be replaced but all four bolts at once? Apparently the engine was sitting misaligned in the engine compartment.

I'm imagining this has the potential to have messed up something else. Is there anything specific I should be asking the dealership to check once they replace the bolts or should I ask them to replace all four mounts as well as the bolts?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Advertisement
Old 03-22-2011, 05:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 00 M5
That's very interesting, never heard of that happening. You are perhaps lucky that no collateral damage was done. When I raced E30's we used solid engine mounts, because the flexible ones would let the engine move enough for the fan to cut a radiator hose in an endurance race.

I think that if they replace the engine mounts, you might ask them to check the transmission mounts, as they may have been taking more stress than normal.

Best of luck; let us know how it is resolved.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto: 08 M3, 05 e46 zhp, 07 X3
Could be that one simply failed and then the added stress on the remaining ones caused a domino effect.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
That sounds logical -- +1 on the rest of the drivetrain mounts too! I would also ask for some technical assistance by the BMW Rep (all districts have one) to check the bolts and see if there were perhaps substandard material used. You might get lucky and have some assistance with the repair. Although with that many miles on the clock that is doubtful.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 x3 3.0
Update - Fixed

Hi there.

Just got it back from dealer. All fixed. Had to drill out the old bolts. Almost nothing in parts cost. Close to $700 in labour. Spoke to BMW NA. Not willing to budge on this one. Already got them to agree on paying 50% for door actuators (three times), new battery (once) and new General Module over the past 3 months.

I love the way it drives for the type of vehicle it is but man the unexpected repairs are a real kick in the teeth. I would understand if I drove it on a track but we're talking mostly highway driving. Hopefully this is the end of it.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:15 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
bmw x3/ x5 motor mount bolt replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by lainsonj View Post
Hi there.

Just got it back from dealer. All fixed. Had to drill out the old bolts. Almost nothing in parts cost. Close to $700 in labour. Spoke to BMW NA. Not willing to budge on this one. Already got them to agree on paying 50% for door actuators (three times), new battery (once) and new General Module over the past 3 months.

I love the way it drives for the type of vehicle it is but man the unexpected repairs are a real kick in the teeth. I would understand if I drove it on a track but we're talking mostly highway driving. Hopefully this is the end of it.

Thanks for the replies.
My recent BMW X3 Motor Mount Bolt Experience:
http://recallbmwmotormountbolts.blogspot.com/

BMW needs to recall models with these defective bolts before someone is seriously injured or dead.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:36 PM

Mein Auto: X3, 325es
X3 sheared motor mount bolts

I too have a 2007 X3 with sheared motor mount bolts at 58k miles. Lucky for me one fell off onto my garage floor while changing the oil instead of driving so no other damage occurred. When I looked for the place it came from I discovered 2 of four bolts on the passenger side had sheared off.

As I understand it, the engine block is made of magnesium and the bolts are aluminum. This is a perfect scenario for galvanic corrosion to occur and the bolts on my car show definite signs of corrosion. Is it really possible the engineers at BMW are not aware of galvanic corrosion? Check it out: http://www.engineersedge.com/galvanic_capatability.htm

I strongly encourage anyone who has experienced this failure to file a Safety Complaint with the NHTSA - National Highway Traffic Safety Administration - at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm or www.safercar.gov. NHTSA is the agency responsible for initiating and enforcing automotive safety recalls. The only way the NHTSA is going to do that is if enough people complain with the same problem.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:04 PM

Mein Auto: X3
X3 2007 Engine mounts

I have 2007 X3 that was losing coolant and immediatly brought it to the dealer to have them verify that my engine mounts were busted and the engine pinched the bottom hose. It has 63k on it and I am not the first owner, but the technician did not see any signs of misusage and it would be covered under certified program. $1,500 in labor, that will cost me $50. I have seen enough posts to suspect a problem with design. Hopefully, BMW puts in better bolts or a more tolerent bushing for the motor mounts.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Sanity is over rated

Mein Auto: Silver 2006 BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germ-Kittle View Post
I have 2007 X3 that was losing coolant and immediatly brought it to the dealer to have them verify that my engine mounts were busted and the engine pinched the bottom hose. It has 63k on it and I am not the first owner, but the technician did not see any signs of misusage and it would be covered under certified program. $1,500 in labor, that will cost me $50. I have seen enough posts to suspect a problem with design. Hopefully, BMW puts in better bolts or a more tolerent bushing for the motor mounts.
I recently purchased a 2006 X3 with 51k and now have another concern to go with the other pending failures Can somebody explain why I cannot replace the bolts with steel replacements?
Old 12-09-2011, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevatorguy925 View Post
I recently purchased a 2006 X3 with 51k and now have another concern to go with the other pending failures Can somebody explain why I cannot replace the bolts with steel replacements?
the metals are to dissimilar and will corrode.

replace with factory bolts
Old 12-09-2011, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevatorguy925 View Post
As I see it, you don't need to be concerned with your 2006.

Reports of motor mount failures appear to be with 2007+ models, coinciding with the change in engine type and/or other chassis changes.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
If the bolts are aluminum and the block is magnesium they are also dissimilar and will corrode - so what is the answer, a magnesium bolt (not very strong) or steel with some sort of grounding strap to a sacrificial anode as on a boat? Someone wasn't thinking this one through there has to be a better system.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
If the bolts are aluminum and the block is magnesium they are also dissimilar and will corrode - so what is the answer, a magnesium bolt (not very strong) or steel with some sort of grounding strap to a sacrificial anode as on a boat? Someone wasn't thinking this one through there has to be a better system.
the block is not magnesium, it is a specific aluminum magnesium alloy that the bolts have been engineered to work with.

http://www.intlmag.org/files/mg001.pdf

Last edited by Dominic49; 12-09-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0i (sold the X3)
The block is magnesium with an aluminum insert for the combustion. If you watch the National Geographic video on how the Z4s are built it shows the awesome way that the block is produced.

Steve
Old 12-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Sanity is over rated

Mein Auto: Silver 2006 BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post
As I see it, you don't need to be concerned with your 2006.

Reports of motor mount failures appear to be with 2007+ models, coinciding with the change in engine type and/or other chassis changes.
Looks like I dodged the bullet on the transmission and engine mount bolt issue. I am hoping I have good luck with my first BMW, I opted to pass on the warranty and hope it wasn't a poor decision.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Gallardo
This just happened to my wife's 2008 X3!
BMW won't cover it.. there's no service bulletins on this??
no recalls???
Old 07-03-2012, 04:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3.0si
That's all that I can Find

Service Bulletin Number:
SIB-22-01-10
NHTSA ID #:
Bulletin Date:
Wed, 09/01/2010
Failing Component(s):
061000 ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE
350000 EQUIPMENT
Summary:
BMW: THERE CAN BE VIBRATION IN THE ENGINE WHILE DRIVING AT VARIOUS SPEEDS DUE TO ENGINE MOUNT BRACKET BOLTS. *RM
Old 07-11-2012, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3
This JUST happened to my 2008 X3 (55K miles). Thank god it was still under warranty - the service advisor claimed it would have been 'a small fortune' had it not been covered. Yikes. Trouble was, I took the car in when I first heard the strange humming noise (sounded like a gentle revving of the engine when the car was idling - in drive, yet stopped) and was told there was nothing wrong with it. Two months later, same coolant leak problem and some strange acceleration jolting uphills, took it in to find out it had been the motor mount the entire time. So glad it wasn't worse - should I anticipate any of the others breaking now? Why not?
Old 07-21-2012, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
The four right side aluminum motor mount bolts on my wife's 2008 328i w/ 46,000 miles just failed. Rough idle & vibration prompted us to take it in. We bought it new and she does not drive hard at all. Out of warranty and very limited help from BMW NA. They offered to provide the parts but labor was quoted at +/- $1,000 to replace all 8 bolts. I picked up the car from the dealer and will take to a local shop, I expect the cost to be $700. I am considering replacing the aluminum bolts with steel because I don't want it to happen again. Extremely disappointed in the position taken by BMW, this appears to be a design flaw, or maybe the bolts were over torqued in assembly?? Has anyone use steel bolts?
Old 07-21-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pstark View Post
The four right side aluminum motor mount bolts on my wife's 2008 328i w/ 46,000 miles just failed. Rough idle & vibration prompted us to take it in. We bought it new and she does not drive hard at all. Out of warranty and very limited help from BMW NA. They offered to provide the parts but labor was quoted at +/- $1,000 to replace all 8 bolts. I picked up the car from the dealer and will take to a local shop, I expect the cost to be $700. I am considering replacing the aluminum bolts with steel because I don't want it to happen again. Extremely disappointed in the position taken by BMW, this appears to be a design flaw, or maybe the bolts were over torqued in assembly?? Has anyone use steel bolts?

I would not use steel bolts as they could cause issues with corrosion. Just reuse the factory bolts until BMW comes up with a fix and issues a recall
Old 07-22-2012, 01:16 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
This is part of the reason I am sadly getting rid of my X3. I have had no major issues (ticking lifters and warbling pano roof) that werent covered under warranty. It now has 60k on it, and I keep waiting for something to blow up or fall off as I drive down the road.

However, I have had dozens of vehicles (like most of us) and only one has busted the motor mounts and that was going air born at 90 mph rolling 4 times and landing on all 4 tires. That i understand.

Driving around town and the occasional lead foot mixed with pot holes is unacceptable and BMWNA should cover this completely imho. This is definitely a design or materials flaw.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 07-31-2012, 04:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3
I was just informed by my dealer that my 2008 x3
not only has a failed water pump at 87k miles but in replacing it
they discovered 2 broke engine mounts adding to the cost. I am not a happy camper!
Old 07-31-2012, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
I just did a part number cross reference on RealOEM and these are the same bolts used on many models to include the new X3's?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?part=22110392551

Last edited by usaret; 07-31-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Is there any way for me to inspect these myself? I'm having some issues (vibrations at higher rpm's) and a CEL for a knock sensor. Is it possible I have broken bolts?
Old 08-21-2012, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff080 View Post
Is there any way for me to inspect these myself?
Yes, They are brackets bolted to both sides of the block. It's easier if you remove the plastic engine cover on the bottom. An easy task as it's just a hand full of small screws and a couple of plastic rivets (pull the center plug out of the rivets and it will allow them to retract and come out).

You can also do a cursory inspection from the top with a flashlight.