Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:13 AM

Mein Auto: 335xi
BMW offering specific "lines" instead of "packages"

looking at a 2012 335 and the dealership told me that it is a "sport line" after I asked what packages the car had. Is 2012 the first year they are offering these lines instead of packages....on bmwusa when you want to build your own 2012 car they let you select from sport, luxury, modern, and m sport.

Are those "lines" the new "packages" that I am used to searching for on older 335's?

Sorry if that got confusing, but hope it's clear enough for a response.

Here is the car I'm looking at.

http://www.bmwofaustin.com/detail-20...d-9215481.html

Thanks guys.

Last edited by Viere; 08-21-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Advertisement
Old 08-21-2012, 11:27 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
There is no more Sport package. There is a Sport line.

All your questions can be answered in the F30 forum, which is what the new sedan is.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 08-21-2012, 11:28 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Yes, they are new with the new 3 Series (the F30 btw, not an E90--wrong forum).

No, they are not the same as packages. Packages are still offered within Lines but the Line you choose limits the available packages and options to specific combinations. The idea is to choose the overall "style" or "character" of the car (sporty, luxurious, modern, plain vanilla) and customize it from there.

The key difference is you can't combine Lines as you could packages. So you can't add Sport or M Sport to a Luxury line build. You have to choose one or the other as a foundation.

Hope that helps.

N47° 35' 30.13" E11° 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 08-21-2012, 12:07 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viere View Post
looking at a 2012 335 and the dealership told me that it is a "sport line" after I asked what packages the car had. Is 2012 the first year they are offering these lines instead of packages....on bmwusa when you want to build your own 2012 car they let you select from sport, luxury, modern, and m sport.

Are those "lines" the new "packages" that I am used to searching for on older 335's?

Sorry if that got confusing, but hope it's clear enough for a response.

Here is the car I'm looking at.

Thanks guys.
The "lines" are BMWs way of managing how many color combinations to offer in an effort to reduce factory complexity and expense.

The "packages" still exist as they always have as a way to give additional features to your car.

Where it gets dicey is about color combinations that do not work with the type of car you want. For example, a Saddle Brown interior is only available with the Luxury line. If you want a Sports line, you have to live without the chrome window trim. If you want an M-Sport line, you have to live with a black interior unless you're a fan of red or beige. If you want sport seats you can only get that with the Sports line not a Luxury line or a Modern line.

The general rule: Packages work with anything. Color combinations do not.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 08-21-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:29 PM

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I'm so picky it almost bothers me. Bums me out that you can't get the chrome window trim on the sports line. It almost seems as if the old generation of 3 series (E90) has the best of both worlds, because you can get the sports package and the premium package on the same car.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:37 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses everyone. I'm so picky it almost bothers me. Bums me out that you can't get the chrome window trim on the sports line. It almost seems as if the old generation of 3 series (E90) has the best of both worlds, because you can get the sports package and the premium package on the same car.
Chrome window trim has not been a part of the E9x Sport package for four or more years. It's been high gloss black shadowline trim. You can get a Sport Line model with the premium package. The Sport line has some high gloss black shadowline trim and some flat black. The M Sport line has all high gloss shadowline trim.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 08-21-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Chrome window trim has not been a part of the E9x Sport package for four or more years. It's been high gloss black shadowline trim. You can get a Sport Line model with the premium package. The Sport line has some high gloss black shadowline trim and some flat black. The M Sport line has all high gloss shadowline trim.
Thanks for clearing that up, I knew I had seen some 2007 or 2008 335's that had the sports package and also had the chrome window trim...honestly it isn't a deal breaker for me, I'd rather have the sport suspension then chrome window trim.

As a side note:

What is included in the premium package for the 2012 335's (F30)? And is that different then what was included in the premium package for the E9x generation?

Last edited by Viere; 08-21-2012 at 04:19 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 08-21-2012, 07:21 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
As a side note:

What is included in the premium package for the 2012 335's (F30)? And is that different then what was included in the premium package for the E9x generation?
Stickies at the top of the forum. All your questions answered. Lots of study material for the big test.