Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-10-2012, 06:15 AM
rdc rdc is offline
Russell
Location: Lexington, KY
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 876
Mein Auto: 1995 525iA
No ABS effect on a stop today?

Had to quickly put on my brakes today at low speed (under 35 mph) and the front wheels slid slightly. Happened twice. There was some wetness on the road surface from a shower about an hour earlier. My tires have about 5/32 tread and are about 5 years old.

I did not notice any pulsing like the ABS kicking on. Otherwise brakes work fine. Not sure there is any issue. I sort of believe I am suffering from old tires losing wet weather traction. Opinions?
__________________

1995 525i auto, 1/95 build, EAT chip, abt 234K miles, , HID, Lumbar, Oxford Green/Parchment, rebuilt trany @ 208K

Last edited by rdc; 08-10-2012 at 06:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 08-13-2012, 07:33 AM
rdc rdc is offline
Russell
Location: Lexington, KY
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 876
Mein Auto: 1995 525iA
re-checked by stopping quickly on dry pavement. ABS does activate. However car still slides a foot or so when just coming to a complete stop. I can hear the tires squeal a tiny bit. Seems wrong.
__________________

1995 525i auto, 1/95 build, EAT chip, abt 234K miles, , HID, Lumbar, Oxford Green/Parchment, rebuilt trany @ 208K
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-13-2012, 09:25 AM
ThoreauHD ThoreauHD is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 682
Mein Auto: 02/1994 530i 8cylinder
What's wrong is that you have bald dry rotted tires on your car. You don't need to call Mr. Wizard to figure that out.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-13-2012, 10:50 AM
rdc rdc is offline
Russell
Location: Lexington, KY
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 876
Mein Auto: 1995 525iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoreauHD View Post
What's wrong is that you have bald dry rotted tires on your car. You don't need to call Mr. Wizard to figure that out.
Did you read what I said in my post that I had 5/32 tread on tires? They are 5 years old with 55,000 miles on them. They are not dry rotted.

That said, they are hard. So you may be right about it being the tires but wrong about why. just my opinion.
__________________

1995 525i auto, 1/95 build, EAT chip, abt 234K miles, , HID, Lumbar, Oxford Green/Parchment, rebuilt trany @ 208K

Last edited by rdc; 08-13-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-13-2012, 11:04 AM
txrealtor txrealtor is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Huntsville, AL
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 188
Mein Auto: '95 525it '95 525i/M
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoreauHD View Post
What's wrong is that you have bald dry rotted tires on your car. You don't need to call Mr. Wizard to figure that out.
Thank you for your explanation oh wise one. You were a big help.
__________________

1995 525it/5 98,000 miles
1995 525i 123,000 miles
1995 530i
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Monsignor's Avatar
Monsignor Monsignor is offline
BMW CCA Memeber #445389
Location: Pineapple Under the Sea
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,199
Mein Auto: M50 Big Body
Quote:
Originally Posted by txrealtor View Post
Thank you for your explanation oh wise one. You were a big help.
kitty has claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdc View Post
Had to quickly put on my brakes today at low speed (under 35 mph) and the front wheels slid slightly. Happened twice. There was some wetness on the road surface from a shower about an hour earlier. My tires have about 5/32 tread and are about 5 years old.

I did not notice any pulsing like the ABS kicking on. Otherwise brakes work fine. Not sure there is any issue. I sort of believe I am suffering from old tires losing wet weather traction. Opinions?
rdc, 5 year old tires are pretty old. they are hard as you say meaning they do not have the same capabilities as they did new. there are two factors in the aging/wear of pretty much all parts: amount of use, and time installed.

Tires are exposed to the weather all the time and 5 years of that can really take a toll. 5/32s is still a good amount of tread but the tires are old. rubber is just so good for so much time especially exposed to the elements.

ABS is merely a system that pulses the piston of the caliper to keep from clamping down on the rotor causing the wheel to stop spinning and slide which is less effective braking than controled decceleration. even in the last seconds (the last foot of braking) the wheel does not carry enough rotational force to keep even the pulsing cakliper piston from clamping it stopped, which is why you have that last second skid. with a good tire that would stick better, the caliper wouldnt clamp the rotor to a stop in that last second.

Ya need new tires buddy
__________________


1995 525iA 250k mi
2006 325i/6 57k mi
2003 350Z 88k mi

Instagram: @Titan_E34
Snapchat: Titan_E34

Last edited by Monsignor; 08-13-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-13-2012, 06:00 PM
rdc rdc is offline
Russell
Location: Lexington, KY
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 876
Mein Auto: 1995 525iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 E34 View Post
kitty has claws



rdc, 5 year old tires are pretty old. they are hard as you say meaning they do not have the same capabilities as they did new. there are two factors in the aging/wear of pretty much all parts: amount of use, and time installed.

Tires are exposed to the weather all the time and 5 years of that can really take a toll. 5/32s is still a good amount of tread but the tires are old. rubber is just so good for so much time especially exposed to the elements.

ABS is merely a system that pulses the piston of the caliper to keep from clamping down on the rotor causing the wheel to stop spinning and slide which is less effective braking than controled decceleration. even in the last seconds (the last foot of braking) the wheel does not carry enough rotational force to keep even the pulsing cakliper piston from clamping it stopped, which is why you have that last second skid. with a good tire that would stick better, the caliper wouldnt clamp the rotor to a stop in that last second.

Ya need new tires buddy
Thanks for your advice. I think I agree. I will NOT dirive with these tires in late fall and especially winter. My plans are to run these tires until fall and put on my winter tires/wheels and install new michelins next spring. Thats the plan. If I experience any substantail slippage, I will put put new tires on asap. BTW, Tirerack has some good articles about thread thickness in the rain and snow.
__________________

1995 525i auto, 1/95 build, EAT chip, abt 234K miles, , HID, Lumbar, Oxford Green/Parchment, rebuilt trany @ 208K

Last edited by rdc; 08-13-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-13-2012, 06:02 PM
txrealtor txrealtor is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Huntsville, AL
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 188
Mein Auto: '95 525it '95 525i/M
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 E34 View Post
kitty has claws



rdc, 5 year old tires are pretty old. they are hard as you say meaning they do not have the same capabilities as they did new. there are two factors in the aging/wear of pretty much all parts: amount of use, and time installed.

Tires are exposed to the weather all the time and 5 years of that can really take a toll. 5/32s is still a good amount of tread but the tires are old. rubber is just so good for so much time especially exposed to the elements.

ABS is merely a system that pulses the piston of the caliper to keep from clamping down on the rotor causing the wheel to stop spinning and slide which is less effective braking than controled decceleration. even in the last seconds (the last foot of braking) the wheel does not carry enough rotational force to keep even the pulsing cakliper piston from clamping it stopped, which is why you have that last second skid. with a good tire that would stick better, the caliper wouldnt clamp the rotor to a stop in that last second.

Ya need new tires buddy
LOL I get so tired of the these people that have nothing productive to say! I'm pretty sure if the OP had dry rotted or bald tires he would have figured that out himself. The people on the e34 forum are not idiots! We have been keeping our cars running for years ( after all, the newest one is now 17 years old)! To come on here and tell someone that "you don't have to ask Mr. Wizard to figure this out" is insulting at best. Don't mean to offend anyone else, just tired of the constant unproductive, childish posts.
__________________

1995 525it/5 98,000 miles
1995 525i 123,000 miles
1995 530i
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-13-2012, 06:14 PM
rdc rdc is offline
Russell
Location: Lexington, KY
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 876
Mein Auto: 1995 525iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by txrealtor View Post
LOL I get so tired of the these people that have nothing productive to say! I'm pretty sure if the OP had dry rotted or bald tires he would have figured that out himself. The people on the e34 forum are not idiots! We have been keeping our cars running for years ( after all, the newest one is now 17 years old)! To come on here and tell someone that "you don't have to ask Mr. Wizard to figure this out" is insulting at best. Don't mean to offend anyone else, just tired of the constant unproductive, childish posts.
Yep, those "bad" tires are Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S tires that have been rotated every 7,000 miles and put up each winter when I put my winter tires/rims on. I have a electronic tread depth gauge which elps me know my tire conditions so I am pretty sure I know how to take care of my tires. By the way the car is garaged which helps keep teh sun away from the tires at least part of the time. It all helps.

I agree some of the responses on forums are without reason/merit. After all, If it is on the internet it must be true.
__________________

1995 525i auto, 1/95 build, EAT chip, abt 234K miles, , HID, Lumbar, Oxford Green/Parchment, rebuilt trany @ 208K

Last edited by rdc; 08-13-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-13-2012, 06:49 PM
_Ethrty-Andy_'s Avatar
_Ethrty-Andy_ _Ethrty-Andy_ is offline
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic
Location: Humble New Zealand
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,138
Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdc View Post
Did you read what I said in my post that I had 5/32 tread on tires? They are 5 years old with 55,000 miles on them. They are not dry rotted.

That said, they are hard. So you may be right about it being the tires but wrong about why. just my opinion.
are the ACTUALLY 5 years old, or did you buy them 5 years ago? remember in 95% of cases the tyres you buy are new old stock. your 5 year old tyres could be 7 or 8 years old, and thats plenty of time for the rubber to deteriorate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdc View Post
Yep, those "bad" tires are Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S tires that have been rotated every 7,000 miles and put up each winter when I put my winter tires/rims on. I have a electronic tread depth gauge which elps me know my tire conditions so I am pretty sure I know how to take care of my tires. By the way the car is garaged which helps keep teh sun away from the tires at least part of the time. It all helps.

I agree some of the responses on forums are without reason/merit. After all, If it is on the internet it must be true.
an electronic depth gauge will tell you the depth of the tread. its not going to tell you if they are rotted out. 5/32" is a hair under 4mm in my system, with tyres that are 5 years old, that is hardly any driving on those, the Michelin tyres you have would have only had 7mm from factory which is 0.27559055" so they have had very little use. this is also a contributing factor to rot as the rubber inside the grooves glazes up when not used. check your OE spare tyre if its still in your car and you will see it glazed all over
__________________

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-21-2012, 08:55 PM
paperplane94 paperplane94 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 927
Mein Auto: 1989 525i M20B25
Read paragraph 2 of "Driving a car equipped with ABS".
That is why it slid a foot or so.

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-22-2012, 02:53 AM
rdc rdc is offline
Russell
Location: Lexington, KY
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 876
Mein Auto: 1995 525iA
Paperplan 94, Thank you for taking the time to post this. RTFM still applies!
__________________

1995 525i auto, 1/95 build, EAT chip, abt 234K miles, , HID, Lumbar, Oxford Green/Parchment, rebuilt trany @ 208K
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-22-2012, 05:32 AM
BMR_LVR's Avatar
BMR_LVR BMR_LVR is offline
Humble E34 lover
Location: Asheboro, NC
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,264
Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdc View Post
...RTFM still applies!
Always will. Unfortunately, people often fail to open it up and take a look.
__________________
Most problems are usually something simple !

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-22-2012, 07:18 AM
Monsignor's Avatar
Monsignor Monsignor is offline
BMW CCA Memeber #445389
Location: Pineapple Under the Sea
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,199
Mein Auto: M50 Big Body
I agree with that, but i resort to the manual for nothin. My car is one of the youngest E34's (not as yound as yours RDC, by about 3 months lol) and therefore the manual is of very minimal use. Its based on the first 5 years of ownership with maintenance schedules and the like. Not diagnosing 20+ year old parts.
I also felt that it was for people who dont know cars, to simply explain a certain situation and what the dealership will have to do. Never a tool to diagnose what is wrong.

"Trans Prog" : transmission or transmission CPU has experienced failure. Limp mode will be on. Bring to dealer for service.

thats not helpful.
__________________


1995 525iA 250k mi
2006 325i/6 57k mi
2003 350Z 88k mi

Instagram: @Titan_E34
Snapchat: Titan_E34
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-22-2012, 09:01 AM
BMR_LVR's Avatar
BMR_LVR BMR_LVR is offline
Humble E34 lover
Location: Asheboro, NC
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,264
Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 E34 View Post
I agree with that, but i resort to the manual for nothin. My car is one of the youngest E34's (not as yound as yours RDC, by about 3 months lol) and therefore the manual is of very minimal use. Its based on the first 5 years of ownership with maintenance schedules and the like. Not diagnosing 20+ year old parts.
I also felt that it was for people who dont know cars, to simply explain a certain situation and what the dealership will have to do. Never a tool to diagnose what is wrong.

"Trans Prog" : transmission or transmission CPU has experienced failure. Limp mode will be on. Bring to dealer for service.

thats not helpful.
I agree Joe that it is not good for diagnosing problems, but it is a valuable resource for things someone doesn't understand about the cars. In this case, it would have helped OP to look at it. I have had E34s for many years now, but evey once and a while, I like to refer to the manual for things like setting the delay on my wipers. I couldn't remember how to do it and recently consulted the manual for a refresher course.
__________________
Most problems are usually something simple !

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms