Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F06 Gran Coupe (2013 - Current)

F06 Gran Coupe (2013 - Current)
BMW's entrance into the 4 door coupe segment to go head to head with the Audi A7 and MB CLS

Old 06-17-2012, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: 530i
Dealer Pricing on Gran Coupe

Hi, I am moving up from the 2010 550i to the 640i. I have not made any posts here, but I was a frequent commentator on another forum for the 5 series.
The timing of this new 6-series model with a 535i engine was perfect as I thought that the HP on my 550i was a waste of money due to poor initial response of the throttle. The 7-series was too "old" for me.

I plan to order the car and wait the 60 days for delivery as always. I went to a dealer which told me that that it will sell the car only for MSRP. The claim was that the demand exceeds supply. I was amazed that a dealer would be so bold. This is a nice car, but it joins a very crowded market, and I don't see the demand far exceeding supply (especially on the 640i compared to the 650i). The dealers have sheets that show various models in production, and there does not seem to be any backup.

I was offering $2500 above invoice price, which is fairly standard for a car that is ordered from the factory (no inventory holding charges for the dealer). The MSRP is around $76k and the invoice price is around $70k. Does anyone think that the dealer was right to suggest that I should pay MSRP? Has anyone heard that there is scarce supply right now?
Ads by Google
Old 06-17-2012, 05:27 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by monacobmw View Post
Hi, I am moving up from the 2010 550i to the 640i. I have not made any posts here, but I was a frequent commentator on another forum for the 5 series.
The timing of this new 6-series model with a 535i engine was perfect as I thought that the HP on my 550i was a waste of money due to poor initial response of the throttle. The 7-series was too "old" for me.

I plan to order the car and wait the 60 days for delivery as always. I went to a dealer which told me that that it will sell the car only for MSRP. The claim was that the demand exceeds supply. I was amazed that a dealer would be so bold. This is a nice car, but it joins a very crowded market, and I don't see the demand far exceeding supply (especially on the 640i compared to the 650i). The dealers have sheets that show various models in production, and there does not seem to be any backup.

I was offering $2500 above invoice price, which is fairly standard for a car that is ordered from the factory (no inventory holding charges for the dealer). The MSRP is around $76k and the invoice price is around $70k. Does anyone think that the dealer was right to suggest that I should pay MSRP? Has anyone heard that there is scarce supply right now?
In Miami you won't do better than MSRP. You may want to try Adrian at BMW of South Atlanta. He may do a deal.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 06-17-2012, 06:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328xi M, Range Rover, 911
Simple supply and demand..........if it bothers you that much.....wait

2013 550 xi Msport
2005 Range Rover HSE Grey/Grey
2009 MB C 300 4Matic
1997 Porsche 993 C4S Black/Black
2005 Jeep TJ
Old 06-18-2012, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Check with the Bimmerfest dealership sponsors, I have a feeling you can get a better deal.

Good luck,
Tim
Old 06-21-2012, 07:04 PM

I am back. Now, one of the dealers is telling me that each dealer will be allocated only 10 cars until the end of the year, so they are each looking for MSRP because the units are limited.
I like when the dealers try to create an artificial supply/demand curve in their mind to try to charge a higher price.
The manufacturing line will contine to pump out new cars just like the 5-series line, but the dealers act as if the Grand Coupe line will suddenly stop and all of the new available cars will be taken (leaving a shortage).
I guess that the first people to reserve a new line of Apple IPad would also pay a lot more than the next wave of people. However, Apple is not stupid enough to allow its dealers to charge a premium to the first group for fear that initial sales as a whole would show a slump.
The irony is that the dealers themselves may cause this vehicle to show poor initial sales which could doom the entire line of vehicles in the United States. BMW should be trying to get these cars on the road so others want them.
The car is already $10k more than the competitors, so if the dealers want another $5-7K premium, they will no doubt cause sales to look horrible in the initial months.
Oh, the games the dealers play.

Last edited by monacobmw; 06-21-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:01 PM
Sandlapper

Mein Auto: '13 650GC, '14 M6 coupe
The waiting game

I think some of the hype will come off the 640i when the 650i comes out. If you want the smaller engine, wait and the price will fall soon enough when the V8s come out. When I drive our 2011 535i and then our 2012, I love the juice in the 6 V8 too much. Bet the deals will come quickly enough on the 640i GC.

2014 M6 Singapore Grey
2013 650iGC M Sport Black Sapphire Metallic
2012 650i Black Sapphire Metallic-Sold
2011 535i Sport Black Sapphire Metallic-Sold
2008 650i Space Grey-Sold
2007 335i Space Grey Coupe-Sold
Old 06-24-2012, 07:14 PM

Mein Auto: I'm still dreaming....
Quote:

Just count the number of 6-series coupés and convertibles at the dealetships. CLS550 base is 71K and the 650GC will be 86K.

Last edited by Ace535i; 06-24-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:58 PM

The scarce supplies of 640i's is a myth

I spent a lot of time this weekend looking at different dealers in my area, and I learned a lot. The South Florida dealers are hilarious. I went to Vista BMW today, and I saw a new 640i with a special dealer sticker that shows a mark-up of $10k for what they call "AMV." I asked what the AMV was, and the dealer told me that it is a special premium charged on the car above the MSRP because the car is supposedly scarce. They also showed a $350 special dealer mark-up for adding a pin-stripe.
Then, I went out of South Florida (north of West Palm), and I saw that every other dealer was happy to sell the car at a few thousand above invoice (some even better). Most are saying that the price on the car is too high to justify high demand, so when the dealers ask for MSRP (or even a $10k premium), they will likely kill the car's prospects for success. Only in South Florida...

The moral of the story is that the South Florida dealers are trying to create the illusion that the vehicle is in scarce supply. I am very happy to "call them all out" in this forum. What they do by trying to create artificial demand is actually a bit dishonest, and the way they do business will likely backfire on them. The internet has changed how sales work, and customers can now just work around them to go to other dealers. Of course, there is a market for the wealthy uncaring person who will walk into the dealer and drop the MSRP plus a premium because they don't care. Most of us, on the other hand, made our money because we are not that silly about how we spend our money.

In researching other makes, I believe that the 640i is priced too high compared to the competition. The Panamera base is probably better car for the price, but BMW has a higher residual for a lease, so the leasing cost for the 640i probably puts the car in a comparable position vis-a-vis the Panamera. I just found a nice $700 refund offered by BMWFS if I download their app and do a test drive for the car. Even nicer!

I like both the GC and the Panamera, and I am having a big problem making a final choice. Both cost about $90-95k with all of the options that I want to add. I am a little strange in that I don't want the powerful engine (but I want all of the nice add ons like an M package), so both the base Panamera and the 640i are good choices. Any insights from the group?
Old 06-24-2012, 10:45 PM

Mein Auto: I'm still dreaming....
There's a sucker born every minute. Who was the guy that said this famous line??
Old 06-25-2012, 02:05 AM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
I spent a lot of time this weekend looking at different dealers in my area, and I learned a lot. The South Florida dealers are hilarious. I went to Vista BMW today, and I saw a new 640i with a special dealer sticker that shows a mark-up of $10k for what they call "AMV." I asked what the AMV was, and the dealer told me that it is a special premium charged on the car above the MSRP because the car is supposedly scarce. They also showed a $350 special dealer mark-up for adding a pin-stripe.
Then, I went out of South Florida (north of West Palm), and I saw that every other dealer was happy to sell the car at a few thousand above invoice (some even better). Most are saying that the price on the car is too high to justify high demand, so when the dealers ask for MSRP (or even a $10k premium), they will likely kill the car's prospects for success. Only in South Florida...

I like both the GC and the Panamera, and I am having a big problem making a final choice. Both cost about $90-95k with all of the options that I want to add. I am a little strange in that I don't want the powerful engine (but I want all of the nice add ons like an M package), so both the base Panamera and the 640i are good choices. Any insights from the group?
Thanks for calling out the south Florida dealers. They are a bunch of con artists and BMW should be ashamed of them.

Regarding your choice - I prefer the GC because it has a lot of cool tech whereas the Porsche seems like a more analog car to me.

That said the Porsche will likely hold it's value better as the BMW is overpriced somewhat. If dealers are selling a new model at just over invoice then something is wrong.

If you go Panamera you should aim for $10k off MSRP. That's what kind of deal I was seeing before I decided to go M5.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 06-25-2012, 07:36 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:

The moral of the story is that the South Florida dealers are trying to create the illusion that the vehicle is in scarce supply. I am very happy to "call them all out" in this forum. What they do by trying to create artificial demand is actually a bit dishonest, and the way they do business will likely backfire on them. The internet has changed how sales work, and customers can now just work around them to go to other dealers. Of course, there is a market for the wealthy uncaring person who will walk into the dealer and drop the MSRP plus a premium because they don't care. Most of us, on the other hand, made our money because we are not that silly about how we spend our money.

In researching other makes, I believe that the 640i is priced too high compared to the competition. The Panamera base is probably better car for the price, but BMW has a higher residual for a lease, so the leasing cost for the 640i probably puts the car in a comparable position vis-a-vis the Panamera. I just found a nice $700 refund offered by BMWFS if I download their app and do a test drive for the car. Even nicer!

Yup, that's Vista for you...
Old 06-25-2012, 11:24 PM
Greg Poland Pacific BMW

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 3.5 M sport
For the sake of conversation I.Will say that grand coupe production is truly very limited..I believe only around 1,600 or so for whole us market. I think this car will be at msrp for quite a while...

Greg Poland
Pacific BMW
800 South Brand Blvd.
Glendale, CA 91204
818 254 1491
www.PacificBMW.com
gregpoland@pacificbmw.com
Euro delivery, PC delivery, Out of state-new and used car sales
Hours:T-F 1-8 PM,Sat 1 to 8pm, off Sun and Mon.

Current rides: 2013 X5 msport and 2013 535i
15% over wholesale/invoice for all accessories! and free shipping for Bimmerfest members!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEK7hG-3fyA
Old 07-29-2012, 12:37 AM
BeachBitch

Mein Auto: 2013 640i Gran Coupe
640i Gran Coupe loaded except B&O sound.

Just bought a highly spec'd 640i gran Coupe today. Picking it up tomorrow. Very picky about delivery detail in and out. $102,445 MSRP. Got it for $2500 over invoice. End of month deal high volume dealer. Only one in the lot. They've sold one other to date. Tomorrow can't come fast enough.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:46 AM
(aharding)ED #1 Sept 2012

Mein Auto: BMW GC & MB SL500
What colors inside/outside? Post pictures!

2013 F06 640i Gran Coupe Carbon Black | M Sport Package | Amaro Brown Merino Leather | Fine Line Oak Wood Trim | Driver Assistance Package | Luxury Seating Package | Bang & Olufsen | Ceramic Controls | BMW Apps | Full LED Lighting
ED Trip Report - September 2012
Post your Neuschwanstein Castle photo here
Hawaii Vacation Rentals
Old 08-22-2012, 05:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 Alpina B7
I have been seriously looking for a car for about six months. I have looked at the 7 series, 5 series, Panamera, Jaguar Xj, Audi A8, MB E550, and CLS 550. I was able to cut the list down to the XJ and 550i this summer...until I saw the pics of the GC. Wow. It had 'ME' written all over it. Perfect.

Then, the pricing was announced. Holy crap. The base price, with NO options, is more than a heavily loaded 5 series. By the time I was finished spec'ing it out, the price was slightly higher than my similar spec for a 750i primarily because the dealer would sell the 750i at close to invoice, but wouldn't budge off of the MSRP for the 640i. I love the car, but the pricing BMW and the dealers are shooting for is completely unrealistic.

I am not willing to wait around until the prices fall back to earth next year, so I will probably order a 550i this weekend.

Greg
Old 08-22-2012, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 730d
New to this forum but thought I would add some info on UK pricing

I just ordered the 640 GC MSport this week and paid £68000 over here, thats $110,000 at current FX.

The dealer says that they expect to sell 2000 each year in the UK and there is unlikely to be heavy discounted in the near future because it is new and demand exceeds supply.

The 640 coupe is a different matter, they have 2000 in stock at UK dealers that they can not sell and are supporting it heavily, offering deals up to £10k off MRSP.

Graeme
Old 08-22-2012, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550i
I was just offered a 650i GC that is due in to the dealer in about a week for $4,000 off MSRP. And that was their first offer.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:44 PM
BeachBitch

Mein Auto: 2013 640i Gran Coupe
Bought my 640i GC on 7/29/12. Paid $1K over invoice. Only one they had. It was the end of the month and they knew I wasn't pulling their chain. I was not leaving until I got the car for my price. No trade in. Sold my 11' E550 coupe to a close friend. Law school has paid off many times. This was one of them.

My Car:

1994 E36 Convertible (Inherited from my Loving Father)

2013 640i Gran Coupe
Carbon Black Metallic
Ivory White Nappa
Everything but B&O, Night Vision and Active Cruise Control.