Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - current)

X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - current)
The newest sport activity vehicle from BMW is a crossover-coupe style and is expected to appear sometime in 2008!

Old 08-15-2012, 05:40 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335XI, 2013 X6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMA View Post
We're all waiting for an update, giants84!
Post pics when you can....if you got it today- congrats!
My story has not changed....3 months

Also, I do see some pics of the X6 with the roof racks. Are they standard on 2013?
Old 08-15-2012, 05:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5M, 13 x6 5.0 soon
Hey Andrew thanks, the roof rack does not come standard. Have not seen it as an option, maybe it's something you can add on?
Old 08-15-2012, 05:51 PM

Mein Auto: '13 X6 50i
Quote:
Going to have to look this stuff up... unless anyone here knows. How to get to Pandora? or Mog? Is there a way not to need to unplug the 3.5mm iPod source to swap sources sinces all these sources are choices on the menu? Sigh....
So <10 seconds of internet searching yielded this answer....

Just go to the Pandora app after picking BMW Apps!

Do you guys like how I'm answering all my own questions in stream of thought? I should just save 'em til I answer them myself
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pandora.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	337028   Click image for larger version

Name:	startpandora.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	337029   Click image for larger version

Name:	iphonescreenpandora.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	337030   Click image for larger version

Name:	pandoraworks.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	337031  
Old 08-15-2012, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5M, 13 x6 5.0 soon
lol KMA try the Mog app, it's great stuff. Free week trial.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgg2 View Post
Also, I do see some pics of the X6 with the roof racks. Are they standard on 2013?

It's definitely not standard, nor an orderable (sic?) factory option in the U.S.

If you really want them, you have to order the parts from the dealer, and I think they need to drill holes in your car to attach. That would be the way to go if you wanted an integrated, OEM-type look, though there are probably a lot of folks here (including myself) who would not prefer the look of these permanently on the car.

I looked into this option a couple years back and finally went with a Thule that does not bolt to the car. After all, even if you need these every weekend, do you really want those things on your car everyday? The Thule's come on and off in about 5 minutes. It will of course all boil down to your personal needs and preferences. I am also able to now use this setup on my new X6 without buying anything new vs. the old X6

[Attached is a pic of the Thule with the aero blades (but without cargo box on) on my old '09 X6. Box easily fit 3 snowboards and lots of gear safely, securely, and with practically no wind noise thanks to the aero blades.]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bmwx6thule.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	337032  
Old 08-15-2012, 06:19 PM

Thanks
Old 08-15-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants84 View Post
lol KMA try the Mog app, it's great stuff. Free week trial.
Grrrr... looks like free trial doesn't work on iPhone...

We'll all have to wait for you to try it out (Just plug regular white iPhone/iPod cable into the USB port without anything plugged into the 3.5MM audio to test).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mog.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	337033  
Old 08-15-2012, 06:44 PM

Mein Auto: 09 135i
Quote:
I got the media adapter today and am left a little puzzled by a few things. For one, if you choose PlugIn or choose the media adapter, you can't actually hear any of the audio unless you physically pull the 3.5mm cable on the separate iPod plug. Makes no sense. Maybe I am missing something.
You shouldn't need the older Y ipod cable for your car, it's only needed on vehicles without the combox, which became standard a couple of years ago. Just a normal ipod usb cable should work fine, don't waste $70 on the Y cable.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
You shouldn't need the older Y ipod cable for your car, it's only needed on vehicles without the combox, which became standard a couple of years ago. Just a normal ipod usb cable should work fine, don't waste $70 on the Y cable.
Ahhhhh, that makes perfect sense ND40oz!

My last X6 ('09) came with this cable and I just kept it assuming it was the same cord still. I see after a little bit of searching that like you said, the old y-cable is no longer used on the newer CIC. This should solve this problem that made no sense to begin with. I will verify in the AM, although I have full confidence this is the solution. Thanks for the info!
Old 08-16-2012, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Ahhhhh, that makes perfect sense ND40oz!

My last X6 ('09) came with this cable and I just kept it assuming it was the same cord still. I see after a little bit of searching that like you said, the old y-cable is no longer used on the newer CIC. This should solve this problem that made no sense to begin with. I will verify in the AM, although I have full confidence this is the solution. Thanks for the info!
So with this minor change, everything working--and switching between every input or source functioning like clockwork now. I only sometimes like to put my phone in the dock/adapter, so this allows for iPod to always be in there and connected when it is not in there. Thanks again!
Old 08-21-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgg2 View Post
He told me 3 months.....I hope that is not the case.
Just got my notification that my X6 went into production.

ordered on 8/3
in production 8/21

So perhaps I can pick it up in 2 - 3 weeks.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:39 AM
DA

Send a message via Skype™ to macd1995
Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 328 CI
Great news... I am still waiting for BMW Apps to work on Droid!!!! KMA, is you phone still running hot with the adapter?
Old 08-22-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macd1995 View Post
KMA, is you phone still running hot with the adapter?
Seems to be OK... ongoing, it seems to be a little warm but not as hot as that first time I tried.

On another note, I did do a tiny bit of research on the "Office" functionality (e.g., email, text messages on iDrive)... and seems like it may already be available if your current phone supports Bluetooth MAP (message access profile)--and if you're an iPhone user (which I know you're not macd1995), looks like this is coming with iOS 6.

Some good info here for anyone interested...

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=708682

To me most of this stuff is a novelty that isn't actually all that useful in the car, but a step on the road to things getting more integrated. I like to early adopt all this stuff for whatever reason even though it's sometimes a headache and disappointments early on.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Regarding the premium sound, see attached pic from online build status as to why I thought they might have "thrown in" Enhanced Premium....

Anyway, so keeping in mind I am coming from an '09 X6 with Premium Sound that I have listened to daily for 3 years... and now in the '13 X6, it sounds markedly more crisp and clean. Not really any louder but much, much cleaner. Noticeable difference.

So my thought is I didn't really get a free option and either a) BMW has upgraded or changed suppliers of some components, which I'm sure happens all the time or b) placebo effect from having a "clean new car"

Regarding the front fog light surrounds, they are still silver... so if they're supposed to be black, that is not addressed yet.

I will try to get some additional pictures taken this week if interested.

I just ordered my media snap-in adapter today, too, to replace the older one that doesn't support BMW Apps.
So, did you actually get the enhanced sound package or it was only a error on the build order. How can you tell if you got the enhanced sound package or not?
Old 08-23-2012, 09:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X6 5.0 - M Perform
Silver rings around the speakers
Old 08-23-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM88 View Post
Silver rings around the speakers
Thanks. I have checked my order, and it also has :

Premium Sound Package
Satellite radio with 1 year subscription
Premium hi-fi system
Enhanced Premium Sound - have not ordered this . let see if I get it or not..
Old 08-23-2012, 05:44 PM

Mein Auto: Was 2010 X6 35i
Its a glitch, mine just arrived and it showed on the build sheet but its not on the car.
Former '03 X5 3.0 (Stolen)
Former '01 X5 3.0 (Lemoned)
Former 1998 Range Rover 4.6HSE
Former 1995 Isuzu Trooper LS 3.0
Old 08-26-2012, 08:36 AM
DA

Send a message via Skype™ to macd1995
Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 328 CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifly View Post
Its a glitch, mine just arrived and it showed on the build sheet but its not on the car.
Dude you have to change your signature... It has arrived!
Old 08-26-2012, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: Was 2010 X6 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by macd1995 View Post
Dude you have to change your signature... It has arrived!
Thanks, changed as requested.
Former '03 X5 3.0 (Stolen)
Former '01 X5 3.0 (Lemoned)
Former 1998 Range Rover 4.6HSE
Former 1995 Isuzu Trooper LS 3.0
Old 08-28-2012, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
Quote:
Hmmm... my latest update on active steering is still "getting used to it". I would describe it like this... It's very practical and useful at low speed when parking because it seems like you barely need to turn the wheel (and with virtually no effort) to make a huge turn and get in and out of a tight spot. It is a strange experience because you get to where it locks like you've turned it as far as it can go awfully fast... seems like it less than a half turn (?) but it may actually be more.

At higher speeds (i.e., nothing crazy yet!), it seems to add to a feeling of a very solid, controlled turn, albeit with less turning of the wheel.

At the speeds in between, it is definitely "less tight" feel than those who've driven a lot of BMW's may be accustomed and therefore can feel less aggressive. That is where I feel the jury is out with me. It has only been a couple days but there are times where I think to myself, hey this doesn't feel tight enough.

Overall, I am liking and think I will get used to this new steering experience, but can't say yet if I love it.

Adaptive Drive - I got it again because it really seems to keep this hulking car "flatter" around turns and perhaps less bouncy, too. I'm not saying any X6's are bouncy at all (I have never driven an X6 without Adaptive Drive), but having had a 2007 X5 4.8i and my wife having a 2012 X5 35d, I think of the X5 as a little bouncy (though still firm/tight!) and in my head feel like the adaptive drive helps to mitigate this. Maybe I just believe the marketing and adapt my thinking and am therefore brainwashed into spending more for it - who knows.
My 2009 has the active steering and adaptive drive (The AD was part of the sports package in the early years, before they added the word activity to the package title and made it only cosmetic). For me the active steering went from an 'i don't know what this feature is' when i bought the car to a 'must have.' I quite literally almost can't drive the g/f's 530 with standard BMW steering after acclimating to my car. Just backing out of the driveway takes so many more wheel turns. The AS makes a large SUV feel more nimble and on point than any medium sized car I have ever driven. It feels about like what I suspect people with a mini cooper have when it comes to maneuverability. I can see what you are saying with mid-speed cornering, but overall, to my senses, the tightness and the resistance of the wheel remain about the same through the speed range with the nice BMW characteristic heft or weight to it. At slower speeds though the steering input just takes a much smaller amount of rotation that the results is less work, even though the 'effort' or force required seems to me to be consistent. As I said, to me, its a must have feature now on all future BMW's I may get.

There are more than a few threads on this forum that debate the merits of Active Drive and what all it affects in the suspension (roll vs damping and ride). Having test driven an X6 without and now owning one that has it, I say it does improve the ride while also mitigating roll. Frankly if you are a performance and handling enthusiast, you should pony up to have it when offered. IMHO it is where BMW has put all there development and handling expertise on current BMW models that they have been historically known for. There standard non-dynamic setups are cheaper to keep their lineup prices appealing to the masses only interested in a luxury marquee and a luxury oriented ride. For performance in the twists AD stands out. And AD with the torque vectoring rear end on the X6 make these SUV's dance through corners in ways that have me grinning ear to ear...
Old 08-29-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdgtexas View Post
My 2009 has the active steering and adaptive drive (The AD was part of the sports package in the early years, before they added the word activity to the package title and made it only cosmetic). For me the active steering went from an 'i don't know what this feature is' when i bought the car to a 'must have.' I quite literally almost can't drive the g/f's 530 with standard BMW steering after acclimating to my car. Just backing out of the driveway takes so many more wheel turns. The AS makes a large SUV feel more nimble and on point than any medium sized car I have ever driven. It feels about like what I suspect people with a mini cooper have when it comes to maneuverability. I can see what you are saying with mid-speed cornering, but overall, to my senses, the tightness and the resistance of the wheel remain about the same through the speed range with the nice BMW characteristic heft or weight to it. At slower speeds though the steering input just takes a much smaller amount of rotation that the results is less work, even though the 'effort' or force required seems to me to be consistent. As I said, to me, its a must have feature now on all future BMW's I may get.

There are more than a few threads on this forum that debate the merits of Active Drive and what all it affects in the suspension (roll vs damping and ride). Having test driven an X6 without and now owning one that has it, I say it does improve the ride while also mitigating roll. Frankly if you are a performance and handling enthusiast, you should pony up to have it when offered. IMHO it is where BMW has put all there development and handling expertise on current BMW models that they have been historically known for. There standard non-dynamic setups are cheaper to keep their lineup prices appealing to the masses only interested in a luxury marquee and a luxury oriented ride. For performance in the twists AD stands out. And AD with the torque vectoring rear end on the X6 make these SUV's dance through corners in ways that have me grinning ear to ear...
Mostly mirror what you're saying. After a couple weeks...
  • Adaptive Drive - Had on '09 and specifically ordered on '13 - still love and would not want to live without
  • Active Steering - LIKE it a lot, but could probably take it or leave it. Don't get me wrong, it is great--practical and useful/usable, but still don't (yet) have the feeling it is a must have item for all future vehicles... If it's already on there or bundled, I'll take it. If it were it's own a-la-carte item at a charge, I might skip unless really low cost. I got it this time since it was the only way to get Adaptive Drive!
  • Oh yeah, torque vectoring rear as standard... I have always thought this was a real differentiator! Has this made it onto the X5 or other BMW models (I don't want to know badly enough to check/research, but just wondering aloud)? Torque Vectoring + XDrive + Adaptive Drive + Active Steering + giant summer performance tires that come on the car does indeed make for the ultimate (system assisted) driving machine!
Old 09-12-2012, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X6 Black Edition
very nice, congrats on the upgrade.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:06 AM

Mein Auto: X6
First BMW X6, got for wife and am I glad, went to NC this morning and had to try it out, XDrive 50i, super fast took foot off pedal at 124.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: G35 coupe
Very nice ride!
Old 12-04-2012, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
when the combox was added to production after 9/10 you can use the white apple ipod cable.