Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-23-2012, 06:15 AM

Mein Auto: 135 cab
How many mile

I am thinking about buying an 06 X3 with 90k miles to get me through the winter. What do I need to look for? Thanks
Advertisement
Old 08-23-2012, 08:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
I have an '06 with 85K miles (bought new) now and am facing the following things: 90K major service, spark plugs (100K miles), leaking rear end, new brakes, tires, coolant flush, transmission/transfer case/rear end fluid replacement, and I am sure something else -- like Oxy sensors -- will pop up also. The 100K mile mark is a serious benchmark for decision time. Either fix all the stuff for another 100K -- or dump it and let someone else fix it all. The car is probably good for another go around if everything is taken care of, but the cost is going to be staggering -- unless you DIY -- or have a really cheap INDY shop! I just replaced a bunch of things, like both front struts, the MAF, fuel tank return valve, and assorted collateral stuff that goes with all that. Make no mistake these are good cars but they are expensive to maintain, especially out of any warranty and up toward the century mark. Put about $5k aside for repairs and maintentance when you consider the cost of your purchase.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:54 AM
Gearhead

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
I have an '06 with 85K miles (bought new) now and am facing the following things: 90K major service, spark plugs (100K miles), leaking rear end, new brakes, tires, coolant flush, transmission/transfer case/rear end fluid replacement, and I am sure something else -- like Oxy sensors -- will pop up also. The 100K mile mark is a serious benchmark for decision time. Either fix all the stuff for another 100K -- or dump it and let someone else fix it all. The car is probably good for another go around if everything is taken care of, but the cost is going to be staggering -- unless you DIY -- or have a really cheap INDY shop! I just replaced a bunch of things, like both front struts, the MAF, fuel tank return valve, and assorted collateral stuff that goes with all that. Make no mistake these are good cars but they are expensive to maintain, especially out of any warranty and up toward the century mark. Put about $5k aside for repairs and maintentance when you consider the cost of your purchase.
I'm at 95K, and have none of those issues (I'm still under CPO warranty) but even if I did, I could do all those myself.

I was very careful about the X3 I bought. I made sure it was locally owned, and well cared for. It has 85K when I bought is 6 months ago) I would be very wary of one that isn't well cared for.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto: x3
are the 06's the ones with the bad engine mounts?
Old 08-23-2012, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: 135 cab
Thanks to all three who responded. I have a good idea how to handle now.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:53 AM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBoom View Post
I'm at 95K, and have none of those issues (I'm still under CPO warranty) but even if I did, I could do all those myself.

I was very careful about the X3 I bought. I made sure it was locally owned, and well cared for. It has 85K when I bought is 6 months ago) I would be very wary of one that isn't well cared for.
We are at 118,000 miles on our 2005, and none of those issues either. Just maintenance items and a couple of small things. Valve cover gasket is starting to fail (cheap). Still drives like new. Just make sure you get the service history and take it to a PPI.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
M-Land, No, the '07's on had the bad bolts. That is when they changed the engine. The '04 through '06's had few if any bolt problems. They did, early on, have a pigtail breaking problem with the springs however.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
M-Land, No, the '07's on had the bad bolts. That is when they changed the engine. The '04 through '06's had few if any bolt problems.
Which I find odd as they are the same bolts BMW used in the older ones (and many other models).

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?part=22110392551

Leads me to believe it's a batch quality or an over torquing issue.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
They did, early on, have a pigtail breaking problem with the springs however.
There have been recent reports of 2007 rear springs breaking too:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=69

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=70

It's a somewhat common problem across all BMW models, and has been for a number of years.

Not limited to BMW either (I think I referenced this interesting article a few months back):

http://atlanticmotorcar.com/case-stu...springs-break/

A random manufacturing flaw sounds quite likely to me, and gives weight to choosing something other than OE supplier for rear springs at replacement time.

As with most cars, you can be lucky and avoid problems, or you get get hit with a string of repairs despite your best efforts at preventive maintenance.