Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-23-2012, 06:15 AM
awarr awarr is offline
Registered User
Location: Zionsville
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 15
Mein Auto: 135 cab
How many mile

I am thinking about buying an 06 X3 with 90k miles to get me through the winter. What do I need to look for? Thanks
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 08-23-2012, 08:08 AM
UncleJ UncleJ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,575
Mein Auto: '06 X3
I have an '06 with 85K miles (bought new) now and am facing the following things: 90K major service, spark plugs (100K miles), leaking rear end, new brakes, tires, coolant flush, transmission/transfer case/rear end fluid replacement, and I am sure something else -- like Oxy sensors -- will pop up also. The 100K mile mark is a serious benchmark for decision time. Either fix all the stuff for another 100K -- or dump it and let someone else fix it all. The car is probably good for another go around if everything is taken care of, but the cost is going to be staggering -- unless you DIY -- or have a really cheap INDY shop! I just replaced a bunch of things, like both front struts, the MAF, fuel tank return valve, and assorted collateral stuff that goes with all that. Make no mistake these are good cars but they are expensive to maintain, especially out of any warranty and up toward the century mark. Put about $5k aside for repairs and maintentance when you consider the cost of your purchase.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-23-2012, 08:54 AM
SonicBoom SonicBoom is offline
Gearhead
Location: Minneapolis
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 188
Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
I have an '06 with 85K miles (bought new) now and am facing the following things: 90K major service, spark plugs (100K miles), leaking rear end, new brakes, tires, coolant flush, transmission/transfer case/rear end fluid replacement, and I am sure something else -- like Oxy sensors -- will pop up also. The 100K mile mark is a serious benchmark for decision time. Either fix all the stuff for another 100K -- or dump it and let someone else fix it all. The car is probably good for another go around if everything is taken care of, but the cost is going to be staggering -- unless you DIY -- or have a really cheap INDY shop! I just replaced a bunch of things, like both front struts, the MAF, fuel tank return valve, and assorted collateral stuff that goes with all that. Make no mistake these are good cars but they are expensive to maintain, especially out of any warranty and up toward the century mark. Put about $5k aside for repairs and maintentance when you consider the cost of your purchase.
I'm at 95K, and have none of those issues (I'm still under CPO warranty) but even if I did, I could do all those myself.

I was very careful about the X3 I bought. I made sure it was locally owned, and well cared for. It has 85K when I bought is 6 months ago) I would be very wary of one that isn't well cared for.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-23-2012, 10:29 AM
murderland murderland is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: s/s
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 129
Mein Auto: x3
are the 06's the ones with the bad engine mounts?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-23-2012, 10:44 AM
awarr awarr is offline
Registered User
Location: Zionsville
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 15
Mein Auto: 135 cab
Thanks to all three who responded. I have a good idea how to handle now.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-23-2012, 11:53 AM
X3-terrestrial's Avatar
X3-terrestrial X3-terrestrial is offline
Aficionado
Location: N.Miss - Memphis,TN Area
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,632
Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBoom View Post
I'm at 95K, and have none of those issues (I'm still under CPO warranty) but even if I did, I could do all those myself.

I was very careful about the X3 I bought. I made sure it was locally owned, and well cared for. It has 85K when I bought is 6 months ago) I would be very wary of one that isn't well cared for.
We are at 118,000 miles on our 2005, and none of those issues either. Just maintenance items and a couple of small things. Valve cover gasket is starting to fail (cheap). Still drives like new. Just make sure you get the service history and take it to a PPI.
__________________
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
-Mario Andretti.

___________________
River City Bimmers BMW CCA
2005 X3 3.0i ZPP, Htd seats, Htd strng, Black Sapphire on Terracotta.
1995 ///M3 Coupe, Lux, MT, Htd seats, Cosmos Black on Black.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-24-2012, 08:53 AM
UncleJ UncleJ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,575
Mein Auto: '06 X3
M-Land, No, the '07's on had the bad bolts. That is when they changed the engine. The '04 through '06's had few if any bolt problems. They did, early on, have a pigtail breaking problem with the springs however.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-24-2012, 10:55 AM
usaret usaret is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: All Over
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 918
Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
M-Land, No, the '07's on had the bad bolts. That is when they changed the engine. The '04 through '06's had few if any bolt problems.
Which I find odd as they are the same bolts BMW used in the older ones (and many other models).

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?part=22110392551

Leads me to believe it's a batch quality or an over torquing issue.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-24-2012, 11:07 AM
Supercourse Supercourse is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: British Columbia, Canada
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,229
Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
They did, early on, have a pigtail breaking problem with the springs however.
There have been recent reports of 2007 rear springs breaking too:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=69

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=70

It's a somewhat common problem across all BMW models, and has been for a number of years.

Not limited to BMW either (I think I referenced this interesting article a few months back):

http://atlanticmotorcar.com/case-stu...springs-break/

A random manufacturing flaw sounds quite likely to me, and gives weight to choosing something other than OE supplier for rear springs at replacement time.

As with most cars, you can be lucky and avoid problems, or you get get hit with a string of repairs despite your best efforts at preventive maintenance.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms